Wednesday Hodgepodge

Linking up with Joyce for this week’s fun questions...



1. It's National Splurge Day...what's something you might splurge on today? What have you splurged on recently? 

The first thought that I had with regard to a "splurge" was financial- buying something pricey and/ or unnecessary.  But then I thought it about it more and "splurge" can also pertain to eating something that is not necessary or healthy but just sounds good.  For instance, splurging on dessert. 

Using the latter meaning, I will say that I may splurge on eating a piece of cheesecake today. It's leftover Cheesecake Factory cheesecake from our Father's Day meal. 

I splurged yesterday on a piece...

All right. I just looked up the definition of splurge and it seems my definition is not included :(. Sorry for the misinformation (lol). All of the definitions that I read for the word seem to indicate that "splurge" pertains to spending money extravagantly. 

Regarding finances, I have not nor plan to splurge on anything today. I don't feel like I have splurged on anything recently. I have bought a few things recently that were hard to justify but the price was not that high. For instance, recently, I purchased a Charles Dicken's Christmas Carol diorama music box. This was an impulse, random purchase. What can I say? I like Charles Dickens. But seriously, I ordered it, and it was waaaay bigger than I expected and don't know where I am going to put it this Christmas season. But I will find a spot for it 😊

Here she is... I have nothing else in the photo so the scale is impossible to tell but trust me, she's bigger than she looks. I would retake the photo with something else in the frame, but I have boxed her up and placed with other decor in the basement. 


Notice something different in the two photos? The little girl and doggie are spinning! They spin when the music plays. Smitten with my quasi splurge!



2. Do you have a beach bag? What's in it? Is a trip to the beach on your summer bucket list? Do you have a summer bucket list? 

I have a few beach bags.  I used to purchase them as souvenirs on beach trips. That way, I would have something useful with the name of the location on it. (Though one can make the argument that once you have amassed a few of these bags, you don't need another one so getting another one isn't useful!)


I hope to go to the beach this summer but as of yet, it is not planned. I realize that doesn’t bode well for it happening but I have planned short trips on very short notice so it may (hopefully!) happen. 

3. What's a song that makes you think of a summer past? What comes to mind when you hear it? What memories does it stir up for you? 

One distinct song does not come to mind. I started thinking about all of the songs with the word “summer” in them and The Boys of Summer kept popping up in my mind. No memory tied specifically to it but I always think of summer in general when I hear it. 

4. Sushi-yay or nay? Have you actually tried it? If you love it what's your go-to order? 

Nay! Though I have not had it since college. I was good friends with a guy in college who ate it nearly every single day and he was always after me to eat it. I tried several kinds and disliked every kind that I tried. 

5. I own a ridiculous amount of ____________________________________. 

I would say running shoes. The actual amount that I own is not that high- but sort of like beach bags, you definitely do not need more than three or so. So anything more than that is extraneous. I have a bad habit of justifying keeping running shoes when I buy a replacement pair. Well, I will likely not be running for a long time so... I will definitely be buying fewer and fewer running shoes in the future. 

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

On the subject of finances/purchases/money spent: Good news and bad news about the “Check engine” light that appeared on my daughter's car recently.  We had just spent $2000 on the most random assortment of things that went wrong/needed repair for this car, and I wasn't looking forward to paying a bill for an engine related type problem (since engine repair costs generally are not cheap). Good news is that there does not seem to be any major problem. The bad news is that it was “user error” (Abby and mine) that caused the problem. We both gassed up the car a couple of weeks ago (why both of us were involved with this is a long story and not important to this story!). Apparently, we didn't tighten the gas cap enough when we put the gas cap back on (should mention the daughter I was with for this gas up was not the daughter who normally drives this car). We had to pay for the diagnostic, of course, but fortunately, that was it. Still, a costly error for not turning the gas cap far enough for it to click. 😒 I am also pretty sure that the exact same thing happened to me years ago with a different car. For the love...

Comments

  1. That is so crazy that the "check engine" light was on BECAUSE of the gas cap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? Apparently, the internal error that triggered the check engine light to come on was ¨evaporation leak.¨ When the gas cap was not put back on such that it clicked, apparently that caused an evap leak. Live and learn on that one! (Though like I said, I am pretty sure this exact thing happened to me years ago but I completely forgot about it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that dessert looks delish and worth a splurge for sure! Ok I really hope you are able to get to the beach this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly! Me, too- Alyssa really wants to go to the beach again so it will likely happen if just the two of us. Can´t send my baby off to college without fulfilling a fun wish of hers :).

      Delete
  4. I think we all use the word splurge in an informal way too. Cheesecake would definitely be a splurge for me! I'm glad the check engine light was such a simple fix. Who knew the loose gas cap would cause the check engine light to come on? Good to know. I love The Boys of Summer...definitely makes my top 100 list. My hubs and I keep a running list of our top 100 songs. I want to make a playlist but haven't done it yet. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a little worried that I was the only one who used the word in the informal way after I looked up at the definition and it was nowhere to be found!! Glad that I am not alone in that... Yes, to simple fixes even accompanied by an eyeroll for my mistake!

      Delete
  5. Glad the car repair issue was not an expensive one - I've had that happen with the gas cap before too which is so annoying. I think splurging applies to calories as well, even if the official definition doesn't include that meaning! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kym! So annoying though better than a $$$ repair!! I hope you have a great week as well :).

      Delete
  6. I think the check engine light has been on in my daughter's car for 4 years now. It will go off temporarily, but never stays and we have had this looked at multiple times. I agree with you that Boys of Summer is definitely a summer song! And I'm with you, I splurge on food too and cheesecake is a good one! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That stinks that the check engine light comes and goes- if there really was a problem, you wouldn´t know. My tire pressure light is permanently on which is annoying and of course I have no idea if there is actually an issue with tire pressure. I associate the word splurge more with food than with finances!! We finally finished the cheesecake so that splurge item is out of the house :).

      Delete
  7. I think your definition of splurge definitely fits! I think of splurging as indulging in anything that is luxurious, and dessert for sure counts! I own a ridiculous amount of homeschool supplies - I can't seem to get rid of anything in case I may need it one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad we´re on the same page (with regard to the splurge definition!)! I have never homeschooled so I don´t have any supplies but if I did homeschool, I could see myself holding on to a lot of the material for the same reason you mentioned.

      Delete
  8. Yeah those kinds of car issues are so annoying. We just had to spend on my son's car for an oil change and some other small things. I put off the CV joints because I just can't right now. I like those beach bags and I think the reason I don't own a lot like that is I am not a bag person. I do not carry a purse, though I do have a small bag I use when on vacation. But those do look cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don´t carry a purse? Wow, I wish I could interact out in the world without my ¨stuff.¨ That sounds daunting but also freeing :). I just had a what-purse-am-I-going-to-take-out-with me conundrum because I´m not sure my normal purse matches my outfit enough! Maybe I need to rethink my ¨stuff with me when I am out¨ need!!

      Delete
  9. I love The Cheesecake Factory's cheesecake! Thank goodness our nearest one is some distance away, keeps temptation at bay! Interesting that the loose gas cap would activate the Check Engine Light. Vic bought one of those devices to identify the various codes to troubleshoot a problem with Sophia's car last year - car repairs are SO expensive. What music does your music box play?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of those devices- sounds like a great investment. From what I read, the device is pretty much exactly what the mechanics use. And then charge you an arm and a leg for. That´s cool that he has one. You know, I can´t recall what the music the box plays- something to look forward to discovering in November when I get it out :).

      Delete
  10. I agree with you...spending calories extravagantly is as much a splurge as spending money extravagantly. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see that I wasn´t the only one who thought that!

      Delete
  11. Oh yes, splurging on cheesecake is kind of a must! So sorry for the costly car lesson but it definitely could have been a whole lot worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Joanne, that is for sure! Plus those big repairs are a pain because they take a long time and you´re without the car (we get our vehicles serviced at a small, niche repair place that unfortunately doesn´t offer loaner vehicles).

      Delete
  12. That's a delicious kind of splurge for sure! Oye, sorry about that check engine light issue. I'm gonna make sure to tighten that cap to the click! They do say you should replace running or walking shoes more often than most of us do... Happy almost summer to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, to you, too Ellen! I do replace my running/ walking shoes fairly often and then keep my old pair for yard work or if I need an old pair. But I keep holding on to the old pairs and then I have too many!

      Delete
  13. I have seen other bloggers today write about splurging on a food item. That is so strange about the check engine light story. Frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya! Yes, for sure it was frustrating. But better than a big engine problem :).

      Delete
  14. I like your beach bags. I will be going to Cabo in January while on a cruise. Never been to Cancun, but I did get to go to Acapulco when I went on my 6-week trip to Mexico. Glad you got your car issues worked out. I think I still like our version of a splurge like cheesecake or flan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan- I agree :). Lucky- cruising in Cabo in January!! You will love it, I am sure!!

      Delete
  15. Why can't I remember the song, The Boys of Summer? I need to go consult the YouTubes. That pie looked amazing that you "splurged" on! Also, your definition and commitment to grammatical excellency makes me smile. I love your blog posts and your sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It´s by Don Henley- I can see you, your brown skin shining in the sun, you got your hair combed back and your sunglasses on, baby...Aww, thanks, Jennifer! You made my day :).

      Delete
  16. That's a lovely music box. Your beach bags are cute. That's a good song choice. Most people I have read are saying nay to sushi. OMG, when I was visiting my daughter all the engine lights came on and it turned out to be the gas cap. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debby! I hope your daughter didn´t have to take her car in to a mechanic to figure that out. Ours was a costly mistake! I wonder if sushi is more of a young person liking thing? Two of my three kids like it while my husband and I do not!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts