Wednesday Hodgepodge- Cheese edition!

 Linking up with Joyce for this week´s hodgepodge questions





1. It's National Cheese Day (June 4)...does anyone not like cheese? What's your favorite? Last thing you ate or made with cheese? 

I like cheese A LOT! I have a cheese drawer in my refrigerator because I keep many kinds of it on hand.  I would feel twitchy knowing I only had home access to say, one block of medium cheddar. No, I need an abundance in the refrigerator to feel even keeled. 

My mom did not like cheese so she never ate it.  I suspect she had a dairy allergy, sensitivity or intolerance though she claimed she just did not like the taste of cheese.  And when I say she didn’t eat cheese, I mean that she did not eat cheese. She made wonderful homemade pizza and she would make a portion of it for her with no cheese on it. I also did not know about the existence of many dishes like casseroles that typically call for cheese because my mom didn’t make anything with cheese in it. I will never forget when I first had manicotti- make that the first time I had heard the word manicotti- that was when I was in college and it was served in the dorm cafeteria. (Growing up, we hardly ever ate out so I was really only familiar with dish names if my mom made them at home. And mama  most certainly did not make a cheese centric dish like manicotti!!)

Favorite? 

That is like picking a favorite child!!  

A non favorite is blue cheese. I like the taste of it but when I found out the blue spots in it are mold (edible but still), eating it became a hard no. 

Last thing I made with cheese- For lunch on Tuesday, I cooked an egg on the stove top, added a bunch of pepper jack cheese while the egg cooked to make an egg and cheese glob/patty and then added that (my cheegg- just made that up- cheese + egg) to a toasted bagel. That is my default lunch; I eat it usually three to four days a week. 

2. Last time you were instructed to “say cheese!”? How do you feel about having your picture taken? 

I was probably a child the last time that I was instructed to say cheese. I have done my share of instructing others to say cheese.

I don’t mind having  my picture taken... from a distance... with ideally not a great camera!! 

Over the weekend...


3. What's your travel packing strategy? Are you typically a light packer or do you throw in everything but the kitchen sink? When flying do you check a bag or aim for carry on only? 

If I am driving to my destination, I am not a light packer at all. Give me options is my mantra. If I am flying, I try to pack as lightly as possible to avoid having to take extra luggage. I usually check a bag.

4. What is it about people's cell phone habits that you find most annoying? 

I would say (almost) everyone’s (including mine) habit of checking our phones seemingly constantly when engaging in passive activities. 

5. What will be your summer mantra/slogan? 

Just a few days after summer officially begins, I will *hopefully* be given the red light to ditch the boot. So my mantra is going to be the summer of unrestricted walking.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Thinking about some of the meals that I never had growing up because they contained cheese and my mom couldn’t stand cheese made me think about a few meals or food items that are common to have but that my kids never did as kids because I didn’t like them or make them.

French toast- soggy bread is a hard no for me and so I never made this for my kids.

Asparagus, brussel sprouts, lima beans- I did not (and do not) prepare these veggies because I don’t like them (and Donnie never professed a liking of them so I wasn’t depriving him of something he liked)

Spare ribs- seems like a lot of effort for not a lot of meat so I never prepared them. I don’t mind eating spare ribs and in fact think they taste good. I have encouraged the kids to order these at restaurants to try them since I never make them at home. 

Anything where mushrooms are a major component like beef strognaoff. This is mainly because Donnie doesn’t like mushrooms at all. 

Comments

  1. Your cheese comment made me think of my neighbor who has a drawer in her frig literally filled with cheese. My hubs was at their house with some guys the other night and one guy took a picture of the cheese drawer because he coudn't believe how much was in it lol. Yay to walkiing boot free! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joyce! I´m glad to hear that I am not the only one with a cheese drawer...Many times after I organize my cheese drawer by expiration date/ type, I take a picture because I love how my drawer looks all organized and full of cheese!! My family thinks it is funny how much cheese we have but everyone likes knowing exactly where to find the cheese and everyone likes that any given point in time, there is a variety of cheese available in the drawer.

      Delete
  2. That is so interesting about your mom and cheese. I can't imagine a life without cheese :). I am not a mushroom fan either...I think it is a texture thing for me. I am like you on the packing! This was a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn! I know, it is hard to imagine a life without cheese :). I used to be able to take or leave mushrooms but since Donnie doesn´t like them at all, I have gotten used to not eating them and now they don´t sound good to me.

      Delete
  3. I love brussel sprouts and asparagus but limas are a hard pass; my dad used to make them when I was little and they were so gross. Funny though, my husband really only ever ate corn and green beans but will now eat asparagus. The air fryer, a little olive oil and garlic salt go a long way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would like asparagus now (I think I have seen recipes where Parmesan cheese is added??)- especially in the air fryer, olive oil and perhaps some cheese. I have not had any in probably forty years (!!) so I am inclined to completely cross it off the list for me but I a small part of me does want to know if I would like it.

      Delete
  4. I feel the same as you with spareribs. They’re good just not enough meat. We grilled a thinner pork chop with bone - I get them at the butcher. They’re delicious!
    Enjoyed your answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debby! Grilled pork chops sound really good :).

      Delete
  5. So interesting about your mom and cheese. There are definitely foods I never cooked for my family due to my distaste, including asparagusand brussel sprouts. Yes, to photos that are a little distant and maybe blurry too. ha, ha! We have a photo screensaver on our tv, and there was a close up shot of me that showed up on the 50+ inch screen...yikes! Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya! Oh man, no to close ups of me on a 50 inch screen- the stuff nightmares are made of, lol!

      Delete
  6. I can only imagine how you are looking forward to being on your own two feet again without the boot. It is sad when someone is intolerant of cheese and milk. Your discovery of cheesy food was fun to read. Happy June to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellen! Happy June to you as well. I am thankful that I have no allergies or intolerances- just a few veggies that I don´t like :).

      Delete
  7. A huge agree with the egg and cheese dish. Most days for lunch we have a big omelet with meat of some sort and a veggie and lots of cheese. That is my go-to meal and could never tire of it. I agree with the short-ribs. I will pay for someone to prepare them any day. Nice meeting you on today's Hodgepodge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Libby! Nice meeting you as well. Eggs and cheese are so easy and good!!

      Delete
  8. I feel the same way about spareribs. They look so delicious, but they are a lot of work, and mess, for very little return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly- there is a BBQ restaurant not too far from us that is known for their ribs. That´s where I order them when we are out...

      Delete
  9. Fellow cheese addict here too- is there anything better? Seriously? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like cheese by itself, usually chunked on a toothpick. We used to have cheese events at work where we would sample all sorts of different cheeses.
    Cell phone annoyances? Checking your phone while at the supper table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many cell phone annoyances- I really had to check myself to make sure I am not guilty of them (before I complained about others!). At home, no one has their cell phone out on the dinner table so we don´t have to worry about that one.

      Delete
  11. You look great in that photo! I hope you do get that greenlight to go boot-free and can do all the walking you want to! Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kym! The Lord willing, the boot will come off at the end of the month. My week has been good- I hope yours has, too!

      Delete
  12. I love most cheese, but not blue cheese. I will scramble eggs with cottage cheese and add left over veggies. Then top it with a grated cheese. Then I know I am getting extra protein. Your picture came out nice, even with your boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan! Your egg/ cheese dish sounds good! I don´t care for cottage cheese so I would omit that but multiple kinds of cheese is always a good idea :).

      Delete
  13. Boy, I'm really late commenting on this one. I'm on vacation so didn't post to this weeks, so I figured I'd go back and comment on this HP. I liked your answers....your cheeg sounds really good!!! I would love a drawer with a variety of cheeses...may have to add more to my fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirstin- I am pretty sure that the drawer is supposed to be a produce draw but I use it for cheese! I hope you had a great vacation!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts