Wednesday Hodgepodge

Linking up with Joyce for the Wednesday Hodgepodge




From this Side of the Pond

1. June 12 is National Simplicity Day. In what way is your life simple? What's one way that it's not? 

I am not driving and I am not working so I would say my life is simple in that I am home a lot and don’t have a lot of stressful responsibilities.

It is not simple when it comes time to making decisions about the future regarding work. Simply put, it is not going to be easy to find what I will be looking for- part time, ideally flexible, ideally with benies. 

2. Something you remember from a 'simpler time'? 

Childhood was a simpler time due to... childhood! But even given that most childhoods are representative of a simpler time, my childhood was very simple in comparison to others. I wasn't in activities, and we lived so far remotely from others such that play dates weren't really a thing for us. My siblings and I were pretty insular with each other. 

As an adult, definitely a simpler time was when Donnie and I didn't have cell phones but most adults did. We were young and eschewed them for as long as possible. It is so weird to think that not that long ago, we were only accessible by phone if we were at home and someone called us :).

3. Do you like squash? If so what's your favorite variety? What's a favorite way to prepare squash? 

I like squash all right- no big emotions either way. I like zucchini squash the best. I have two beautiful squash plants growing in my garden. I *think* (and hope) they're zucchini squash.

Zucchini squash- I prefer this grated and as a small, though necessary component of zucchini bread. Most things are better when part and parcel of an end product with plenty of flour, sugar and butter :). 

My beautiful squash plant :).



4. Do you shop the warehouse stores (such as Costco, Sam's B.J's, etc)? If so how often do you go, and what's something you always buy in this type of store? 

We shop at Sam's since we have a Sam's pretty near to our house. We often get a rotisserie chicken since they are cheap ($5) and good sized. We also get grilled chicken that they have in their refrigerated ready to eat (or heat) food section. Donnie likes their peanut butter filled pretzels, so we've been buying those. 

We tend to go often or a little bit in spurts. Lately we have been going once a week (Donnie likes the chicken breasts for his lunches at work so he buys a package or two each week).

5. Father's Day is this coming Sunday. Any plans to make the day special? Tell us something about your own father, or something about your hubs as a father, or about someone who stepped into your life and acted as a father if yours was not a part of your life. 

We are hosting a Father's Day meal for my father-in-law, Donnie and a couple of other men in our lives who are special to us. The theme is going be "Thankful for you." That is an overarching theme of Father's Day but especially of this one because I am making a turkey and ham so it's going to be a Thanksgiving type meal. The reason is simple- I have both a turkey and a ham in the freezer and I want both of them out! And most everyone likes a Thanksgiving type meal (the guys do anyway...). So, I am going with a theme of Thanksgiving. 

Something about my husband- it's interesting because we dated when we were in law school (so not like, real life with jobs). We also didn't know anyone, either friends or family members who had young kids or babies. We were in a young people sans kids bubble with our friends and no family members had young kids in our circles. I didn't think about that at the time, except that when it came time for our wedding, there was no one in contention to be a flower girl or ring bearer. We simple knew no young kids.

When we had our kids, I realized what a great dad Donnie was and realized that his interactions with our kids were the very first interactions I saw of him with any kids. It wasn't surprising to me that he was a good dad; he was a man of good character, that I knew, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he'd be a good dad. I was fortunate in that he was a good dad but of course the real beneficiaries of that were the kids.

Back in 2008 or 09- these were simpler times with our kids as it predates them being in time consuming activities!

Donnie and his mini him from earlier this spring

Donnie and the girls recently

...and with Jacob

6. Insert your own random thought here.  

We are in for some hot weather which doesn't impact me in my new, simpler lifestyle; I used to run outside regularly and hated to run in extremely hot conditions so I would check the forecast often in the summer to plan when I would run to escape the heat. Now, I can't run and am cool as a cucumber inside my home :). The heat (at least the sun) does impact something positively and that is my garden plants. Thinking about the squash plants reminded me of the garden and how much growth that hot summer sun brings to garden plants. I cannot wait to see even more growth in the garden. Part of my simpler lifestyle is having the time to care for a garden and enjoying it quite a bit. 

Comments

  1. I didn't know you went to law school so I learned something new about you here today. My hubs is what we call the Baby Whisperer. Just hand him a baby and he can get that baby settled. He's fun and kids always seem to sense that. Adults too : ) Enjoy your garden this summer! You're the second person in the Hodgepodge (Scriptor is the other) to say they're cooking a turkey for Father's Day. Sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce! This year will be the first time that I am making a turkey on Father´s Day or even in the summertime! I definitely associate it with Thanksgiving and Christmas BUT, I am pretty sure it will taste as good in June as it does in months ending in ¨ber.¨ I am already enjoying going out to the garden everyday to water and/ or weed. It is a very simple pleasure to enjoy!

      Delete
  2. I am looking forward to that simpler lifestyle but I have a few years to go. I think when my daughter gets to about 10th grade and both boys have (I hope) moved out, I'll maybe feel that. I guess it depends on what jobs I have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will get there... Even with your job(s), think about how much simpler your days will be when you don´t have the day to day things that having kids around require you to do. You will miss doing (some of!) those things but there is no doubt that there are some positives!!

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure if it's just the way my screen is showing your post but your blog archive is cutting off the right part of numbers 1-3. I managed to decipher enough to make them make sense. I didn't know you went to law school, either, I thought you were a teacher and had pursued education in college. I love that zucchini + flour + sugar + butter = a better end product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pamela! Yes, I did notice that the post looks wonky and that some of the first part of it is impossible to read. It didn´t seem like much was lopped of it so hopefully it is understandable. I think I know what happened- I hope so. I accidentally deleted the post. I got it back but it looks like there were some problems along the way. Hopefully the next post is normal. If it isn´t, I will have to look into it.
      Yes, I went to law school. That is where my husband and I met. I took the bars of Ohio and Indiana and passed but never practiced law! When I worked full time after law school, it was for a large company that hired a lot of law school graduates as it produced a product that lawyers used. The work was 40 hours a week as opposed to the 50+ that new associates at a firm were expected to put in. We knew we wanted to start a family and we both didn´t want to work crazy long hours. That´s pretty much why I didn´t become a lawyer despite a big effort to be able to be one, lol.

      Delete
  4. I love squash in just about all it's forms and eat zucchini, summer squash, and butternut squash pretty much every single week (and sometimes every day!). My mother in law gave me a squash plant of some kind (she's not sure which since they grew from kitchen scraps she threw out) and assures me I can't kill them... I'm skeptical though. I have never been able to grow anything we eat other than basil without killing it or watching some sort of disease/bug infestation take over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had lots of gardening fails- in fact I have had some already this year. I hope that your squash pulls through. How cool that a plant grew from scraps! That has happened in my compost bin and I think it´s the neatest thing. Good luck with it!

      Delete
  5. Loved seeing all the photos of days gone by and more recent. We didn't have a ring bearer or flower girl in our wedding. Your meal for Father's day sounds filling and good. Since you are cooking the turkey and the ham hopefully others will bring the side dishes and dessert. :) Sounds like you will be enjoying gardening this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen! I think the meal sounds good, too (as does Donnie) and hopefully there will be leftovers for an easy meal the following day :). Guests usually chip in to bring a side dish or dessert!

      Delete
  6. Childhood definitely seems like a simpler time, doesn't it? I was just talking with a friend the other day about how we use to coordinate scheudles pre-cell phones. It's crazy to think now how it all worked out....99% of the time :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for sure, Marilyn! You are right about how most of the time meet ups and get togethers occurred incident free without cell phones.

      Delete
  7. That is such a fun idea to do a thankful meal for Father's Day. And bonus for getting rid of freezer items! I love remembering simpler times without cell phones or constant internet usage. It was back when you could say, "I wonder..." and no one would google the answer for you. :) I'm also thankful that my husband turned out to be a great dad. We also really didn't have many kids/babies around us when we were dating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya! Yes, I have been eyeing offloading this turkey for a while (I think I got it on a good sale after Christmas :)). He´s been taking up a lot of space in my deep freezer!! Your husband does seem like a great dad. I guess we both got lucky since didn´t see our guys interact with kids before having kids with them...

      Delete
  8. I like when questions bring back memories of our childhood. I think your Father's Day plans sound great! I have thought of growing squash since I like it so much. I wonder if I can grow it is large containers. I enjoyed your pictures. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan- I would definitely look into growing squash in large containers. I think many veggies will grow in containers.

      Delete
  9. I loved reading about what a great relationship your husband has with your children. This does indeed speak well of his character and theirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Libby! The kids are very fortunate that they have a great dad!

      Delete
  10. Hope you're able to find just the right job situation when the time is right! Your father's day plans sound wonderful - I know all my guys would certainly appreciate a thanksgiving type meal for father's day as well. Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kym! I hope the meal turns out good for the guys- I think it will. Gotta get going on that ham :). Thanks and I hope that you´re having a great week as well!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts