Thankful Thursday

A few items jumped out at me for Thankful Thursday so I wrote a post and am linking up with Jennifer



1. This fiddleleaf tree sits where our Christmas tree does when the Christmas tree is displayed. So, during the Christmas season last year, we moved the fiddleleaf tree to a different room. The move (and I guess subsequent neglect though I do feel like I watered it?) was not a fortuitous one for the tree; when I moved it back to its normal spot in January, it was obvious that the move had taken a negative toll. I found this picture from October which would have been close to the time of its exile out of the family room and into the study. 


It is a little embarrassing to show how different the tree looks now compared to then.


I know, right? Bad things happened to it. However, I just noticed some positive signs- new growth. 




Thankful for the new growth and hoping we can get the tree back to its October glory!

2. As we approach the mid-way point through June, I can't help but be reminded that last year at this time, Abby and I spent the entirety of the month of June in New Jersey. I am so thankful to be spending this June in Ohio, as is Abby. Our time in New Jersey was eye opening, educational, lots of fun at times and adventurous at times and yet also... not good in the fundamental way that living in a locale where you'd rather not be is not good! Ohio is not an exciting place to be but it's home. 

A year ago today, we went to an Ed Sheeran concert in Met-Life Stadium- look at us Jersey girls being spontaneous (we just decided the day before to go)

3. Funny stories in the media- in some ways, I wish I liked pop culture more than I do. I would love to enjoy the escapism of a movie or TV show. But watching TV never sounds good to me if I am by myself with free time. I would rather read anything than watch a show. And so, I read novels, and political articles (goodness knows I wish that I didn't care at all about politics. My life would be less stressful!) and news articles online. As an avid reader of current events, I come across all sorts of headlines. Many human-interest type stories entail a human or more than one human behaving badly. That's just what makes the news, mostly. 

I was on a local new stations website and came across a funny story. Yes, it entails someone making a bad choice. A criminal choice. But the whole thing is kind of funny (I would definitely consider it a victimless crime) and the pictures that show the "crime" being committed are kind of funny. 

So here's the story:  On Tuesday, a nineteen-year-old runs out on the ballfield at a Cincinnati Reds ballgame. Ok, not so funny- just a bit unusual. Oh, it's also criminal. So he's committing a crime by being on the baseball field during a game. He's on the field and running and he's just wearing socks. Ok, so not only is he doing something unusual/ criminal in public in front of thousands of people, he's doing it in his socks. So then, on the field, he proceeds to do a back flip. Say what? That seems very unusual for a criminal trespasser on a ball field to do. And then after the backflip, he gets tasered by a cop. Not funny at all but just the sequence of events and the photos of it all are just kind of funny.

I'll show the photos but first I will explain what happened in court. The kid (legally a man) was arrested and charged with criminal trespassing and obstructing official business. He had a court appearance in Hamilton Country Municipal Court on Wednesday where the judge said during his arraignment "Everybody thinks you landed that backflip."  What?? Why would the judge say that? How odd. Why is the judge speaking for "everybody"? What does his landing have to do with anything? It sounds like the judge was impressed with the backflip?? Just so odd yet funny, especially when you see the photos of the events unfolding at the stadium. (And here I am praising living in Ohio!)

Here is on the field. He looks like the cat that caught the cannery!


He still has that look... It's gonna change!


I don't know about the landing, but mid air, he's flip is looking pretty good. Things are about to get real with that cop and the taser...

YIKES! It's all fun and games until the taser comes out...


The thankful point of this is just the comedic nature of the photos (except the last one, obviously) and the judge's comment about the landing of the flip 

4. I am an average-ish cook at best. That makes making something the kids or even a kid really likes extra special. We had guests over for a meal on Tuesday (really random- we don't normally entertain during the week!) and I was making a side dish that I had never made before. Alyssa tried some before our guests came over and expressed how much she liked it. It was so satisfying to make something new that she really liked! We all liked it so I will make it again (it was a corn salsa- supposed to be a Chipotle copy cat of their corn salsa). I forgot how nice it was to make, literally, a new discovery that tastes really good. 

5. My physical therapist Cecil (have never come across a Cecil before and every time I see the name written it reminds me of a seesaw that you sit on either end with someone) told me on Monday that the range of motion is improving in my Achilles. He had a way of measuring it. I've been doing stretches for it so it should be improving- it was nice to hear that it is!

6. Looks like we will be getting jalapenos from the garden. Last year, knowing that I would be in New Jersey in June, I just planted tomatoes (to make gardening easier for Donnie who had to work and do all the yard/ garden work). I found this guy emerging earlier this week. Hooray for veggies besides tomatoes in the garden!

Well, I am drawing a blank. I'm sure there are other things for which to be thankful, but these are the few that came to my mind quickly :).



Comments

  1. Ohh your salsa sounds delish! You don't give yourself enough credit either- you are a great cook and amazing baker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly! The salsa was good- I am definitely a better baker than cook. I occasionally eke out some good dinners :).

      Delete
  2. Thanks for linking up with me today! I feel like the fiddle leaf fig story can be a spiritual picture of our own lives when we neglect spending time with Jesus regularly. Have I mentioned to you that the Lord is always giving me a spiritual picture of things like this? I think it's the kindest thing, since I'm such a visual learner. I loved reliving your memories from last year; as thankful as you are to be home this year, that will be something you and Abby will always remember! I'm glad you had that opportunity. I literally laughed out loud at the pictures of the criminal, especially the one with the taser. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but if you act dumb, there are consequences to be paid. I'm sure he's already out of jail by now! 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good analogy! I hadn´t thought of it like that. Thank you! It is interesting when you have such a dramatic life event happen to compare what life is like during the event to when life is normal. I have a feeling that next summer, I will look back on this odd time when I can´t drive and will have a hard time remembering it clearly! The pictures of the guy on the baseball field just cracked me up as did the judge´s comment on the back flip. So odd and funny! And yes, a good reminder that there are consequences of poor decisions!

      Delete
  3. I just went back and read a couple of your NJ posts. I've lived there three different times, went all through elem-highschool in South Jersey, then we lived in North Jersey twice as my hubs company is based there. They have a box at what we still call 'Giants stadium' because both the Giants and the Jets play there. We've seen lots of great concerts in that stadium. I agree with Jennifer...I'm sure there is a metaphor for that fiddle leaf. I'm glad he's growing. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you saying in a post that you grew up in New Jersey- such an interesting state! We were in the very congested, near NYC area and I did not like the driving, the drivers, and the sheer amount of traffic I encountered when driving anywhere (I liked every single New Jersey person that I talked with personally- it was when the people were driving that I was not so crazy about them!). Now in Ohio, Abby and I were refer to someone as a ¨Jersey driver¨ when the driver pulls out right in front of another car such that the other car has to break quickly- something we encountered ALL THE TIME in Jersey! On our drive back to Ohio, my GPS took me off the interstate for some reason and we found ourselves in a middle New Jersey- it was so pretty- what I imagine Ireland looks like? These rolling hills, quaint looking farms, green everywhere. It was so different than the area near the city where we were. We had some great experiences in Jersey/ NYC and learned that there is something great about living in the heartland :).

      Delete
  4. My goodness where is my mind? When describing the young man, I thought he was naked; only wearing socks, doing a backflip! 😜 Of course I’m in California and that wouldn’t be that surprising. I remember in my younger days, naked streakers running into ball fields, malls - graduations - any public event with crowds of cheering spectators. I thought, oh I guess it’s coming back!
    Your plant will grow back healthy.
    Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my- I literally started giggling when reading your comment, imagining the man doing all of this stark naked! That would have added (or detracted, as it were) a whole other element to the story! I do recall reading about streakers- now that would be a sight to (un)see- can you imagine if you were at a game or public event and had to witness a streaker??

      Delete
  5. We were just talking about a news story today where a man traveled 2 hours on the big island of Hawaii to rescue a dog that got stuck in a volcanic crevasse after hearing about the dog getting trapped down there. I so rarely read/listen to the news because I do feel like so many of the stories that make the cut aren't "nice" ones so it's very uplifting when they show a sweeter one. Yay for getting some peppers in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to read the feel good stories. I do come across them; they are just greatly outnumbered by the people behaving badly stories. What an amazing rescue- one guy just decided to do this? Thanks about the peppers- I can´t wait to use one in dishes. I had high hopes of growing veggies for the main ingredients in salsa. My one onion plant is not thriving so not sure I will be completely successful but I will be happy with my peppers and tomatoes!!

      Delete
  6. Glad you got a good report at PT! Those fiddle leaf fig trees are very hardy, so it is fun to see new growth. Oh, I also love the feeling of cooking a new to me recipe and people enjoying it! Have a good evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn! That is good to know about the fiddle leaf tree. Ours took a beating but it´s not dead and I am so encouraged to see new growth!

      Delete
  7. You taco tuesday get together sounds like a success. We saw Ed Sheeran in Metlife just last year. Oh that pic of the guy getting tazed.. ouch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We may have been at Metlife at the same concert! Wasn´t he in town on Saturday and Sunday? We saw him on Sunday evening, I believe it was (we saw him the second night that he performed- whichever night that was!).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts