UPitP- April 14-17- A new job and a not new birthday
Tuesday, April 14, the girls began e-leaning through their school after a six school day spring break. Let's just say they got to ease back into school. Alyssa had a class on Tuesday where the only assignment was to watch a five minute video (not done by the teacher, rather just a YouTube video by a random person) on a subject the students were "studying." That was it!!! The next time that class had an assignment was on Thursday (classes only have two classes/ assignments a week). The students would be taking a quiz. The teacher told the students that they could use any material that they wanted to- any website, any text, etc. ("Open book" was essentially enlarged to, "open world.") The teacher told the students that the goal was for the students to pass the quiz. OKaaaaaaaay.
I will say that some classes (namely high school honors classes) are much more robust with the students being expected to complete a decent amount of work. I will take that over a five minute video watching assignment any day... With regard to online college, Jacob seems to be kept busy with assignments for which I'm glad.
By Tuesday afternoon, Alyssa had watched her five minute video and completed class work for the one other e-class that she had on Tuesday. Abby still had work to do. Alyssa and I decided to drive to a park to walk/ run. We've come up with a fitness goal that we will hopefully reach soon. The weather was inauspicious for outdoor activity- it was super windy and then felt either uncomfortably hot or cold based on when the sun dipped behind clouds and stayed there. In spite of the weather, we had a decent workout. I was proud of us for sticking to it for as long as we did.
Wednesday- The girls did their school work. In the afternoon, I don't remember doing anything remarkable (and by remarkable I mean driving to a park to walk/run). The one big thing that happened was Jacob started a job. He'd been wanting to work for a while and I'm proud of him for getting one. It's technically putting him at risk (and therefore us since he lives with us) for getting the virus but there are safety measures in place and we are willing to take that chance- also we aren't old, have health issues and have no physical contact with anyone who is elderly or immunocompromised. I'm grateful he has the opportunity to work at a job that is necessary and helpful to others. Obviously, he took the job to make money, not out of magnanimity, but that doesn't change the fact that he will be helping others.
Thursday- We didn't do much out of the ordinary during the day. Alyssa and I walked/ ran on Thursday afternoon. The weather was a little bit better than it was on Tuesday but still not ideal work out conditions. We saw many more people on the path than we did on Tuesday; when really nice weather comes our way (soon!), it's easy to foresee crowded paths (although, thankfully, it's easy to social distance- when we encounter people we leave the path and run in the grass. There's grass on both sides of the path).
Late afternoon/ early evening, I attended a meeting. Yes, physically attended. Crazy, right?? It was a library board meeting. Board members could go to the library for the meeting or call in via zoom to attend. Four of us came into the building for the meeting. We were in a large conference room around a huge table so we didn't break any rules, don't worry :). One reason I wanted to go to the meeting was because I pass a Wal-mart on my way home from the library and I'd been meaning to stop at Wal-Mart to get supplies for a project. So that's what I did after the meeting. I couldn't find all of what I needed but found (and bought) several things that I didn't need.
Friday dawned overcast as all get out with rain in the forecast but I wasn't shocked by that because the weather on my BIRTHDAY has been overcast more than sunny since I can remember. If it's my birthday, it should be overcast :). The weather on my 47th birthday did not disappoint...
The day, overall, was a good one (even the weather- I'm glad it rained- my strawberry plants and emerging pea plants needed the rain. We haven't had an overly rainy spring and a few hours of steady showers will not only help bring May flowers but bigger berries in June). All of the teens were nice to me ALL DAY. It isn't like they're normally mean, it's just that they normally aren't always so kind, attentive and sometimes I'm certain they roll their eyes at my jokes whereas they laughed with mirth at even my most feeble attempts at humor on my birthday. Jacob gave me a gift from his girlfriend (he sees her at work), a beautiful plant and from him, chocolate. The girls gave me creative, homemade gifts that I love. My mother in law brought over a gift but placed it on the porch. She didn't come in the house. Donnie bought me two of the prettiest cashmere sweaters he never has seen- I ordered them myself from him :).
I talked/ texted to friends/ family during the day and felt very loved. The girls and I made a carrot cake for my birthday (Jacob was initially volunteered to help but a difficult calculus exam scheduled on my birthday precluded his joining us). We played Pictionary after dinner- this was done by all out of deference to me since it was my birthday. Jacob and I won :). Later, I popped some popcorn and we watched a movie we'd never seen before, Invincible. I loved getting to spend the day with the kids even though the kids were with me only because of a worldwide tragedy. While it would have been nice to spend the day as well as the evening with Donnie, too, I'm grateful he still has a job to go to during this time.
Abby wrote a sweet message in the card that she made for me. I won't write down everything that she wrote to me but feel compelled to write down one paragraph that she wrote. "You are my forever favorite runner of marathons, binge watcher of The Office, literature fanatic, drinker of diet Dr. Pepper and lover of all things sweet." Oh my goodness, she nailed it!!
Gift from Autumn...
A carrot cake birthday cake- YUM
I forgot until a saw screen shot that I'd saved but snow was in the forecast (for a short time) on my birthday. Temps ended up being too warm for snow but I thought it was neat that at one time it was in the forecast. Never had snow on my birthday before (and this year wouldn't be the year either as it turned out).
One bag was over seven pounds and one bag was more than six pounds. 😁😁
I will say that some classes (namely high school honors classes) are much more robust with the students being expected to complete a decent amount of work. I will take that over a five minute video watching assignment any day... With regard to online college, Jacob seems to be kept busy with assignments for which I'm glad.
By Tuesday afternoon, Alyssa had watched her five minute video and completed class work for the one other e-class that she had on Tuesday. Abby still had work to do. Alyssa and I decided to drive to a park to walk/ run. We've come up with a fitness goal that we will hopefully reach soon. The weather was inauspicious for outdoor activity- it was super windy and then felt either uncomfortably hot or cold based on when the sun dipped behind clouds and stayed there. In spite of the weather, we had a decent workout. I was proud of us for sticking to it for as long as we did.
Wednesday- The girls did their school work. In the afternoon, I don't remember doing anything remarkable (and by remarkable I mean driving to a park to walk/run). The one big thing that happened was Jacob started a job. He'd been wanting to work for a while and I'm proud of him for getting one. It's technically putting him at risk (and therefore us since he lives with us) for getting the virus but there are safety measures in place and we are willing to take that chance- also we aren't old, have health issues and have no physical contact with anyone who is elderly or immunocompromised. I'm grateful he has the opportunity to work at a job that is necessary and helpful to others. Obviously, he took the job to make money, not out of magnanimity, but that doesn't change the fact that he will be helping others.
Thursday- We didn't do much out of the ordinary during the day. Alyssa and I walked/ ran on Thursday afternoon. The weather was a little bit better than it was on Tuesday but still not ideal work out conditions. We saw many more people on the path than we did on Tuesday; when really nice weather comes our way (soon!), it's easy to foresee crowded paths (although, thankfully, it's easy to social distance- when we encounter people we leave the path and run in the grass. There's grass on both sides of the path).
Late afternoon/ early evening, I attended a meeting. Yes, physically attended. Crazy, right?? It was a library board meeting. Board members could go to the library for the meeting or call in via zoom to attend. Four of us came into the building for the meeting. We were in a large conference room around a huge table so we didn't break any rules, don't worry :). One reason I wanted to go to the meeting was because I pass a Wal-mart on my way home from the library and I'd been meaning to stop at Wal-Mart to get supplies for a project. So that's what I did after the meeting. I couldn't find all of what I needed but found (and bought) several things that I didn't need.
Friday dawned overcast as all get out with rain in the forecast but I wasn't shocked by that because the weather on my BIRTHDAY has been overcast more than sunny since I can remember. If it's my birthday, it should be overcast :). The weather on my 47th birthday did not disappoint...
The day, overall, was a good one (even the weather- I'm glad it rained- my strawberry plants and emerging pea plants needed the rain. We haven't had an overly rainy spring and a few hours of steady showers will not only help bring May flowers but bigger berries in June). All of the teens were nice to me ALL DAY. It isn't like they're normally mean, it's just that they normally aren't always so kind, attentive and sometimes I'm certain they roll their eyes at my jokes whereas they laughed with mirth at even my most feeble attempts at humor on my birthday. Jacob gave me a gift from his girlfriend (he sees her at work), a beautiful plant and from him, chocolate. The girls gave me creative, homemade gifts that I love. My mother in law brought over a gift but placed it on the porch. She didn't come in the house. Donnie bought me two of the prettiest cashmere sweaters he never has seen- I ordered them myself from him :).
I talked/ texted to friends/ family during the day and felt very loved. The girls and I made a carrot cake for my birthday (Jacob was initially volunteered to help but a difficult calculus exam scheduled on my birthday precluded his joining us). We played Pictionary after dinner- this was done by all out of deference to me since it was my birthday. Jacob and I won :). Later, I popped some popcorn and we watched a movie we'd never seen before, Invincible. I loved getting to spend the day with the kids even though the kids were with me only because of a worldwide tragedy. While it would have been nice to spend the day as well as the evening with Donnie, too, I'm grateful he still has a job to go to during this time.
Abby wrote a sweet message in the card that she made for me. I won't write down everything that she wrote to me but feel compelled to write down one paragraph that she wrote. "You are my forever favorite runner of marathons, binge watcher of The Office, literature fanatic, drinker of diet Dr. Pepper and lover of all things sweet." Oh my goodness, she nailed it!!
Gift from Autumn...
Decided to use some Easter kitchen pieces for my cake. When your birthday is less than a week after Easter, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to use Easter products :).
A carrot cake birthday cake- YUM
I forgot until a saw screen shot that I'd saved but snow was in the forecast (for a short time) on my birthday. Temps ended up being too warm for snow but I thought it was neat that at one time it was in the forecast. Never had snow on my birthday before (and this year wouldn't be the year either as it turned out).
At Wal-mart on Thursday, I was drawn to the Easter candy clearance aisle (as I ALWAYS am drawn to the clearance aisle after a holiday). Candy was marked down to 75% off. Pickins' were slim but I found these two bags. The one on the left ended up only being $3 and the one on the right was $5.
One bag was over seven pounds and one bag was more than six pounds. 😁😁








Comments
Post a Comment