Weekending

Linking up with Holly and Sarah for Hello Monday:



Friday at school was fine- was happy to hear that final bell ring at 2:20. 

Once home, I relaxed for a few minutes before going downstairs to run on the treadmill. I'm so behind on  my podcast listening and wanted to listen to one of my favorite podcasts while I ran. (Work puts such a damper on doing not just fun activities but ones that enrich your understanding and knowledge of current events... two more weeks... I've got this.) Alas, the treadmill was malfunctioning. Grrrr, ain't got time for this! Thankfully, the weather wasn't stormy or otherwise inclement so I ran outside.  Came home, showered and got ready to head out again.

Alyssa and I drove to The Greene- a popular shopping destination in Greene County with restaurants and shopping. She and I had just been there the weekend before (it's one of those places that I don't go to often- maybe three times a year so it seemed a little funny to be there two times in less than a week!). The reason to go there was to drop Alyssa off with a friend who works at one of the businesses in The Greene after we ate. Her friend was going to drive them to their next destination from there. Anyway, Alyssa and I had chosen a restaurant to eat at the Greene and that was The Pub. It serves traditional British (likely Americanized but the intent is there...) food and I channeled my inner Kim and was chuffed looking at the menu and recognizing some of the words/terms from the menu that I've learned from reading Kim's blog :). Donnie met us at the restaurant- he had been north of town but the timing worked out pretty well for him to meet us at the restaurant. 

"Best Fish & Chips in the US" is an ambitious menu item name...

I decided on the Cotswold



Our food turned out pretty good. I subbed the chips for mac and cheese and I probably shouldn't have. Not sure if the mac was a miss by the restaurant or if it's traditional to have mac and cheese like this across the pond but the cheese sauce was almost like a broth? 




We parted ways with Alyssa after dinner and then Donnie and I went into one store together before we parted ways. Donnie had been gone from home since 7:30 am and it was now approaching 6:30 pm and he had at least a half hour drive home. I would have gone straight home but I'd parked in the Nordstrom Rack parking lot (because it happens to be close to the The Pub) and before leaving The Greene I decided to go into NR and do a little shopping. I ended up being there way longer than I'd hoped but I got a few things at what seemed like good prices so that was good.

The green item on top is not for me! It was a birthday present for our friends' dog....

The guys were watching basketball when I got home so I just read and went to bed.

In the morning, I ran and then showered before beginning my day. I had to go to the bank. Before I left, I softly said Alyssa's name outside her door to see if she was awake. She made a noise but nothing else so I decided to leave without her so that she could keep sleeping in (she's my errand runner with me provided she's awake).

On my way to the bank, Alyssa called me to ask me where I was. She had been awake after all! I explained that I was on my way to the bank but I could pick her up after the bank if she wanted and she said that would work. Ok, yes, I go to the bank for banking that could probably all be done without setting foot in the bank but 1) I'm old and 2) well, I'm old. I know the youngins deposit checks electronically in the year of our Lord 2026 and honestly I would consider doing that except that I like to have cash on hand and I don't use ATM machines so going into the bank to deposit checks gets the checks into our account and I can get cash at the same time. Had a nice discussion with the teller who helped me- I actually know him outside of the bank as well as from the bank so we chatted for a long time.

I went home to get Alyssa and then picked her up to run a very important errand- getting gas and Big Gulp's at Speedway :). 


Once home, I spent the next few hours cleaning the house and doing two loads of laundry. I had to do laundry because I'd not been doing much laundry during the week. I had to clean because I'd not been doing deep cleaning during the week and people were coming over on Mother's Day. 

In the evening, we went over to our friends' house for a special birthday celebration- Tito turned one!



We had a great time with our friends. We ate Mexican food, chatted and watched a movie. We didn't get home until after 11:00.

Sunday morning, I got up and made brownies. Then we went to church and Alyssa's best friend came with us too which was so nice. After church we stopped at Dickey's for a small bite since we were planning on eating dinner early.



Alyssa's friend left after lunch and shortly after that Alyssa, Donnie and I drove about half an hour to Cedarville to see Cedar Falls. I've been there a few times and it's always really pretty in the spring and after rain- our area had a decent amount of that last week. 



Just Alyssa went with us. Jacob had strep throat and was at home resting. 





We hiked a short distance around the gorge and were able to descend steps to get near Massie Creek. 










You can't really see it here but there was a huge drop just behind me. I wanted to get to the edge but I knew I needed to be careful!



The weather was perfect- upper sixties and sunny!





I'd prepared fixins to have brownie sundaes for dessert. Donnie's sister and her husband and Donnie's mom and her husband came over for dinner- Donnie picked up pizza for us at Marion's and brought it home. We had pizza and then sundaes. We had a really nice visit!







Donnie, his sister and his mom



...and Alyssa




Comments

  1. What a lovely weekend! Love the sounds of your Friday night- sounds like perfection to me. You are such a great lady Maria- always hosting family and friends- you give so much- you truly are a gem! Hope you enjoyed your Mother's Day XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fish and chips does sound good and looks like an interesting place to eat Friday night. I love that Alyssa is your running errands buddy. Saturday night sounds like such a fun time! Those falls are so pretty and it does sound like a lovely day. Sorry Jacob wasn't feeling well, but how nice it was for you to host family. Hope today goes well at school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn! I’m so glad I have my errand running buddy back :).

      Delete
  3. You had a great weekend. And I am so glad you did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best in the US? Lol. Looks like a cute place, though!
    I have a return to Nordstrom Rack and plan to look around. I ordered a sale dress online and it doesn't look good.
    Nice Mother's Day hike and great idea for pizza and brownie sundaes. It's nice that his mom and sister live close (I'm assuming) and if you like them - lol.
    I deposit my checks (which are rare) on my banking app on my phone. Our bank (credit union) pays us back for ATM fees. We both like to keep cash on hand, too, and feel naked without it! I can see how it is still nice to go in the bank and talk to a human. You do what works for you! Did you at least get a lollipop? Dum dum? We once had a professional development for school in the basement of a bank and didn't even get a Dum Dum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, lollipops at this bank :(. My SIL and MIL live about an hour away which is nice that’s it’s not too far away yet feels special when we do get together since we’re not in the same town or anything. I didn’t realize NR has a website but I guess it makes sense that they do!

      Delete
  5. I can't recall eating mac and cheese in the UK. Chips all the way!! But I like your use of the word chuffed and the venue looks cute. Your Mother's Day hike looks lovely. I love a waterfall hike. Brownie sundaes sound delicious. I love a brownie and make them for dessert, usually served with ice cream but I'm going to remember the sundae part for next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks about chuffed- I’ve been waiting to use it, lol! The hike is really pretty and the weather was perfect which made it that much better :).

      Delete
  6. I went to Nordstrom Rack last week for new jeans! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dara! I hope you like the jeans you got from NR!

      Delete
  7. All your food looks so good! We've gone back to not eating on Mondays so it's tough to even see it. LOL. But, willpower! Looks like a nice weekend with good weather to get out and about. We had rain, but we need it. I wonder how many Cedar Falls there are in the country; I know I went to one in Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A 24 hour fast? That’s impressive. I was going to hold off until dinner but I ended up eating an Oreo at 5:45 am so there went that…Oh yes, I’ll bet there are multiple Cedar Fslls!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you! It's so pretty out there on the trail!

      Delete
  9. Happy Mother's Day my friend.
    Your hike looks like fun. :-) We usually go on a hike for Mother's Day too.
    Have a great new week.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carla! I hope your Mother's Day was a great one!

      Delete
  10. Hang on in there, two more weeks and you get to enjoy the summer break!
    That is good you could run outside, especially with the treadmill malfunctioning.
    It sounds like a good trip to The Greene, that made me chuckle that you recognised some of the words from the menu. hehehe Yay for the fish and chips and bangers and mash! The sauce in the mac and cheese does look too watery. Eek!
    Aww! Happy birthday to Tito, it sounds like a great celebration was had!
    Cedar Falls is beautiful! What a lovely Mother's Day! I hope Jacob is feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! I'm glad to know that the sauce looks too watery to you- that it isn't normal for Mac and cheese to look like that across the pond! It was a nice Mother's Day- I'm glad the weather cooperated by being the perfect temp, lol!

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a GREAT weekend! Nice to see the beautiful weather up there :). We spent Mother's Day in SC with my daughters, daughter-in-law, sister, and one of her girls - a perfect Mother's Day long weekend!
    Love the idea of having a birthday party for a dog - what a fun reason to get everyone together. Will need to put The Pub on our list for a summer visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounded like a great weekend! Tito is so cute..how fun to have his birthday party and make it Mexican themed. Your Mother's Day looked lovely and Cedar Falls looked so pretty. Brownie sundaes are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that was just bad American mac and cheese! It looks like a really nice weekend. I love the picture of you getting close to the edge, just like you did in NC!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts