Friday 5.5
It was a pretty quiet week-let's see if I can eck out a few events/happenings without boring anyone to tears.
1. We tested two days this week at school and my were those lovely days! I mean, I gave out detentions on both days so they were far from perfect. But, they were better than most days due to much short classes. In addition, I couldn't administer the tests so I didn't have the stress of that. I did some admin type work for the teachers near me and I was available to give teachers breaks during testing if they requested breaks.
2. Monday night into Tuesday, I slept ZERO hours and ZERO minutes. And I had been awake since 4:00 am on Monday and hadn't consumed any more caffeine than normal. I went to bed early thinking that slumber would be imminent due to being up since 4:00. Instead, I didn't fall asleep all night. UGH! A night of no sleep happens periodically to me. I remember the last time it happened was in late January. When it happened in January, I also had a sub job the following day. I remember feeling almost completely fine the day after a night of no sleep. I'll give credit where credit is due: I operate fairly well on very little sleep! So the same thing with my episode of insomnia this week: I had to sub the next day which added a layer of stress upon an already pretty stressful long term sub job. The good news is that I didn't feel terribly tired at school or have a headache for which I'm thankful. Backing up in the day on Tuesday, when I realized that I wasn't going to sleep, I decided to get up and exercise so I went out at 4:00 am for a run. It was nice to have that under my belt. Once I got to school, I ran (not literally, I walked) all over the place helping teachers and administers prepare for testing. Just before 8:00 am, I glanced at my watch and saw that I had many steps and miles in already:
This was 7:49 AM...
My rate per hour of activity decreased- this was twelve hours later...
3.Alyssa will be home for the summer soon 😀 I can't wait to see my lil' partner in crime (figuratively not literally!) every day and do fun things with her. However, Alyssa is definitely a bit opinionated about a number of things including but not limited to the items she'd like to eat for dinner. Or rather, what she'd NOT like to eat for dinner. The items on the latter list are extensive. Ham is one of them. So I decided I needed to use up the ham that I had in the refrigerator. I'd purchased it after Easter- all the sodium rendered it edible for several months post purchase. Bonus is that ham is super easy to prepare and I am in my easy dinner prep era as I have found myself temporarily in the time consuming and sometimes gut wrenching task of educating the next generation. I only mention the latter because the gut wrenching aspect of it makes me want to come home from school and burrow under a blanket with a book and a beverage and feel immensely sorry for myself. In this state of lassitude/despair, cooking and the ensuing clean up sounds unappealing. So easy meals are the very best kind and preparing a ham and then having lots of leftovers was a really nice thing to have! Monday, we had ham slices, Tuesday we had ham and cheese sandwiches, and Wednesday, I cooked some sausage, eggs, cheese, hashbrowns and threw in some pieces of ham for a breakfast mash.
4. When we had our friends to our place for dinner over the weekend, we made several dishes to go along with the burgers. In addition, I placed some potato chips in a bowl because who doesn't like chips with a burger? One of our friends fawned over everything I made the potato chips. In his defense (LOL), the potato chips were unique. I had him guess the flavor after he asked what they were. He correctly guessed two of the flavors. Then I showed him the bag: All Dressed flavor. Those who've spent time with our northern neighbors (Canada) will be familiar with this flavor as they are popular in Canada. They are slowly making their way down to the States. I read that Lays didn't introduce this flavor to the US until 2025. These are the Clancy brand (Aldi) and I wouldn't be surprised if they are a temporary flavor as Aldi seems to have some cyclical varieties of chips. These are really good!
5. The highlight of the week wasn't super exciting but when you've given out a detention every school day, the bar for what constitutes good is really low. Thursday after school, Jacob asked if I wanted to walk to the ice cream shop with him. Aww, I can rarely cajole him to go on a walk with me; a walk at his suggestion is a noteworthy event. The weather was perfect- it was just shy of 60 degrees with sunny skies. I was worried I'd be cold but forgot how much exercise- even something as low intensity as a leisurely walk- warms you up.
5.5 I was reading the transcript of a podcast this week (reading the transcript of a podcast takes a lot less time than listening to a podcast and since time is something of which I don't have an overabundance right now, I've been reading podcasts transcripts a lot more than listening to podcasts) when I came across information about pollution and the United States.
The subject was immigration and some statistics and information the podcaster relayed stood out to me. The podcaster mentioned the "great plastic straw panic" where many restaurants switched to paper straws that tended to disintegrate into your drink. But did that accomplish much of anything environmentally? The podcaster noted that 95% of the plastic pollution in the ocean comes from two continents, Africa and Asia. That leaves 5% of the ocean's plastic debris split between Europe, North American, South America and Australia. American with its population of 330 million people is dwarfed on the plastic pollutant list by countries like Sri Lanka which as a population of about 20 million people.
As the podcaster noted, "...we could collect all of the straws in North America, bundle them together, and shoot them into the sun, and the state of the ocean would hardly be improved at all. Indeed, we could stop using plastic altogether. It would barely make a dent in the problems. That's because... we don't dump our trash into our rivers (and the rivers flow to the ocean taking the trash there). That's exactly what they do all across Asia and Aftrica."
His broader point was regarding the cultural differences between the West and most of the rest of the world. He didn't focus anymore on pollution/plastic/environmental issues. But I kind of remained there in my mind. It seems like if you question any environmentally "sound"suggestion or law, you're a terrible person who doesn't care about the environment. But I think a healthy skepticism of any proposed change to policy due to what "experts" say is not a terrible thing to have. Al Gore, author of the doomsday environmental book, An Inconvenient Truth didn't add skylights to his 10,000 square feet mansion until he received criticism for living in such a large home (while decrying mankind's impact on the environment) with a huge carbon footprint. And then there's the billionaires flying in their private jets lecturing the little people on their carbon footprint.
Speaking of healthy skepticism, I try to not state something as fact that I've read somewhere without doing my own research. I looked at two websites regarding plastic pollution and they both backed up what the podcaster (Matt Walsh) said regarding countries' plastic pollution.
I took a screenshot from this website that contained a lot of information including backing up the claim that America is a low plastic pollution country.
I reuse (some), I recycle, I compost and I'm not going to feel guilty about using plastic straws in my new mega Big Gulp cup!
I created a "car seat" of sorts for my Big Gulp so that the contents won't spill when I'm on my way home from the gas station where I will fill it.









Ha, I love your seat belt for the Big Gulp! That is a lot of steps before 8am! I didn't sleep very much last night, so I know that is hard, especially before subbing the next day. I hope you get some rest this weekend and yay for having Alyssa home soon!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Marilyn! I hope the seatbelt works, lol. I haven’t driven with it in my car with liquid in it…
DeleteI had heard that about most pollution problems-- heck we ship the coal that is not "clean" enough to meet our standards & that we are not allowed to burn to another country for them to use while we import the coal we burn here (like we aren't all sharing this planet?!). It's nuts. In our travels to these tiny Caribbean islands we've seen some major pollution going on and it is definitely on those poorer countries with little infrastructure. Your ice cream treat looks yummy and I love your Big Gulp solution.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I hope the BG solution works! That is nuts about coal- so many policies don’t seem to make any sense…
DeleteWow! I could never function on no sleep- that is wild! Then! You go for a run and have over 10,000 steps before 8am? You are superhuman for sure! I hope this next part of school goes by quickly so you get some more free time to do the things you want. Giddy for you that Alyssa will be home soon!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Holly! Gotta give the ‘ol body some credit! It handled the no sleep situation amazingly well!
DeleteCan you really drink from a Big Gulp? I think I would have to take it home and decant it as if it were a fine wine.
ReplyDeleteThat is really interesting about the plastic waste. I hate paper straws and would rather use nothing. I don't use straws very often, anyway. I have noticed some women don't ever drink from the side of a glass - gasp! I have heard straws can give you mouth area wrinkles like smoking does.
I can feel your end of day exhaustion. It's a feat to get up and make anything for dinner so good job.
Here is my theory on the sleep situation. I have taught on many a no sleep, one hour, two hour, etc. sleep situation and it's the worst.
I have a "sleep window" and sometimes going to bed earlier than that window backfires on me!
I haven’t used the Big Gulp yet. I’ll have to see what it’s like (the pic was just to set it up in my car) before I decide whether to decant it or not!! It makes sense about wrinkles from drinking out of a straw bring like smoking. Both motions pucker the mouth and that must be what does it. I think you’re right about having a sleep window and going to bed too early can backfire.
DeleteWhat a great week! I know you're excited for Alyssa to get home. I love that you and Jacob got ice cream together one afternoon, too! The steps you got in on that one day...holy cow. There are days when I feel like I walk my tail off at work; other days are not the same. It's strange how that goes, but I do love that I am up and moving a lot. That seat belt for your cup made me laugh. Happy Friday!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jenn! I tend to walk a lot at school based on where my room is- most places in the building aren’t close by.
DeleteI don’t know you function on no sleep. Those chips look interesting, and that ice cream looks delicious. Happy Friday friend.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Regine! Being able to function on very little to no sleep is my superpower for sure! The chips are really good as was the ice cream!
DeleteSorry about your lack of sleep! I have the opposite problem: I fall asleep when I'd rather be awake, like when watching a movie. Your week sounds like it went by quickly but mine felt SO long, I'm actually surprised today is finally Friday. That's nice your son wanted to walk to get ice cream. Those unexpected moments are the best. Last Monday, I was headed to the store and both my boys wanted to come. Not because they wanted me to buy them things - I do that already - but just to do something with me. That was so nice.
ReplyDeleteThat is really sweet about your sons. Jacob will be moving out soon and I think that’s driving some of his decisions. We don’t see him nearly as much when he moves. This week at school was truly awful (I’m on plan right now but then just have 40 mins after that so it’s almost done) and I want to be done with this gig more than anything!!
DeleteI definitely don't function well without sleep!
ReplyDeleteI am grateful that I do pretty well without a lot of sleep…
DeleteOMG I haven't had a Big Gulp in ages! I like the little car seat for it. I can't function without sleep. I didn't sleep great on Wednesday when I was most tired. So strange! Walking for ice cream is a win-win in my book. Those chips look interesting. I hope you have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Heather! I’ve never needed much sleep for which I’m thankful. I sure hope my Big Gulp car seat works when I have pop in it…
DeleteA car seat for your big gulp?! That's cute. Remember Joyce's question about a recent deep dive? Well, that would micro-plastics for me. The plastic leaching into our bodies and brain. I dived (dove) deep...and then threw out all my plastic. LOL
ReplyDeleteGood for you! I’ve read and heard some information about how bad plastic is for us. Either I didn’t read enough or just decided I’d take my chances… I definitely still use plastic. Very impressive that you don’t!
DeleteIt sounds like a good week at school, well apart from the detentions. Eek! The not sleeping does not sound like fun at all but how cool to get all those steps in before 8am!
ReplyDeleteThat is great Alyssa will be home for the summer! Ham is such a versatile meat. I like it in omelettes, with fried egg and chips and of course in sandwiches.
Wow! Those potato chips do sound good. I think I would love them and the seat belt for your big cup did make me chuckle. x
Thanks, Kim! The bright spot in that day was getting a lot of steps in... that and surviving the school day :). I wonder if you guys will get that potato chip flavor. They've been in Canada for years. I think you'd like them!
DeleteI love the big Gulp seatbelt. I'm so sorry you had a sleepless night. I completely agree about the plastic and pollution. It is often hard to find the logic in some of the protests. For example, reusable plastic tote bags instead of regular plastic grocery bags don't actually help much since they require so much more plastic and energy to make. There are many, many examples like this. I haven't listened to Matt Walsh - do you like his podcast?
ReplyDeleteI do like Matt's podcast quite a bit! He has a dry sense of humor that appeals to me and everything he says just makes sense. I've had less time lately to devote to listening to podcasts so I've been reading the transcripts of my favorite ones to stay informed. True about the plastic bags!
DeleteOh to teach on a no sleep day is awful. I feel your pain on that. I hope when summer comes and your daughter is home you can get your body back into a restful rhythm. I will drink out of the container before I have to use a paper straw! Thanks for the podcast info. It all makes sense.
ReplyDeleteLove your Gulp car seat! Way to be creative!
Thanks, Nancy! I am so looking forward to more rest this summer!! I really like Matt's podcast and most of them from the Daily Wire (though I don't have time to listen to all of them).
Delete