Wednesday Hodgepodge

Linking up with Joyce for the Wednesday Hodgepodge- a fun list of questions to answer about various topics






1. Did you watch the Kentucky Derby this past weekend? Have you ever been to a horse race? Ever ridden a horse? Did you enjoy it? Have you ever been to Kentucky? Do you like Bourbon? 

We have several good friends from Kentucky- Lexington and Louisville specifically. Our Louisville friends are into the Derby. Some of them were at the cookout that we were at on Saturday and the TV was turned on to it; some people were watching the coverage and paying attention to it. Donnie and I had to leave at a specific time to meet Alyssa for prom pictures and it was before the race began so we didn't get to see it.

I feel like I have ridden a horse. Once? I would have been a child. Though I grew up in rural Indiana, we didn't have horses and very few of our rural route neighbors/ friends had horses. 

We currently live about an hour north of Kentucky, so I have been to Kentucky many times. From where we live, the main route to many southern destinations requires traveling south on I-75 so I have driven through KY on a number of occasions. When the kids were younger and into competitive sports, we had games and competitions in KY. We also traveled to the Creation Museum years ago and the girls and Donnie and I went to the Ark Encounter a couple of years ago, both of which are in Kentucky.

The grounds of the Creation Museum in Petersburg, Kentucky
















The Ark Encounter in Williamsburg, Kentucky





I have never had Bourbon so I can't say for certain. 


2.  What's something you wish you'd placed in a time capsule fifteen years ago? 

Alyssa was just a toddler; Abby was six and Jacob was eight so I would say something related to toddler/ kid ephemera that liters your house but eventually you get rid of and then miss. 


3. Are you adventurous? Elaborate. 

I think adventurous is for sure relative. I like adventure to a certain degree but not nearly to the point of others.  I am definitely not an adventure seeker. I don't mind trying new things and being taken out of my comfort zone, but I usually need to be prodded by someone to do it. I am a homebody at heart. When the kids were younger and I was a stay-at-home mom, I wanted them to see and do things, so I planned a few adventures for us. But many moms probably planned many more for their kids. Again, I think it' s a matter of degrees.


4. Something you want to make this year? It can be a new recipe, craft, diy project, a milestone you've set for yourself...anything at all. 

Assuming my garden produces that which it should if my plants come to fruition (/vegetation?), I would love to make salsa from ingredients that I have grown in the garden. Once we become empty nesters (EEKS!) later this year, I will for sure make new recipes, though as of now I don't have anything specific in mind. I will miss La Petite Fussy One something fierce, BUT opportunities of culinary exploration await with her absence from the dinner table. I also have plans for making at least two photo books this year (hopefully more!).

5. Cinco de Mayo was also celebrated this past weekend...do you like Mexican food? If so what's your favorite dish? Have you ever been to Mexico?  Margarita-yes or no?

I like Mexican food. Quite a very bit! Narrowing a dish down to my favorite is hard. I will say seafood enchiladas and huge beefy burritos are my favorite. 

I have been to Mexico twice. We went took a family vacation to Cancun and Donnie and I went to Cabo San Lucas for our fifteenth wedding anniversary.

Professional pictures taken at the beach of the resort where we stayed-



I think the photographer took more pictures of us jumping than not!!

















Cabo San Lucas










I have never had a margarita, so I am going to say No


6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I used to wait tables at a Chi Chi´s restaurant. This was when I was young, very fit, and frankly, a bit judgy of the customers whom I thought made poor menu choices at Chi-Chi´s (the first of which was walking through the doors of the restaurant to eat there but that´s beside the point). I was shocked at how many people ordered chimichangas- fried tortillas with fillings. I thought that eating copious amounts of chips and salsa meant that customers should order a more healthy item than a chimichanga. Then a few years ago, I decided to order a chimichanga at a restaurant. It was really good and I understood why so many make the chimi choice. I was able to reason that a meal out at a restaurant should  be viewed as a cheat meal and nothing else. That way, I could justify eating chips and salsa and an unhealthy entree. Oh, and I apologized in my mind to everyone I judged at Chi-Chi´s!

Comments

  1. Welcome to the Wednesday Hodgepodge! Thanks for playing along today. I love the hot pink dresses against the soft blue sky and water in your family photos! You always see white and chambray it seems in beach photos, but I'm going to file this away for 'someday'. I am trying to get on top of my photos this year too. It's a job! Adjusting to an empty nest is a process, but there's lots to love about it too. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce- I had no idea how good the dresses would look against the colors of the water and sky but was very pleasantly surprised. My biggest goal was to match the girls´ dresses which was a little challenging. I am trying to do more with my photos than just have them on my memory card or on my phone. I have some ideas, now I need to implement them!

      Delete
  2. Welcome to this blog hop! I don't really understand fried anything that's Mexican, personally, so I get it. Those birria tacos? Too much gunk. Give me a normal taco, please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like normal tacos, too, but I have a new found fondness for chimichangas (which is fried unforutnately) as well! I have never had a birria taco. I wonder if anyone answering these questions is going to answer no to liking Mexican food??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great family photos! Thanks for sharing your story at the end. I think as we get older, we see new perspectives of things and I love that we are always learning and growing in life. Have a good Wednesday and glad you joined on this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure, Marilyn! That is one good thing about getting older- changing perspectives and seeing things in new and different lights.

      Delete
  5. What great photos from your trip to Mexico! I've never had a chimichanga, will have to try one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the photos because some of them are so good and some are so silly!! But they all capture time on the beach which is our happy place!

      Delete
  6. So fun! I am cracking up at your Chi Chis commentary- you are hysterical :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's what I should have said for #3! I can do adventurous things but I definitely have to be prodded to do so. That resort in Cabo looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne- it was beautiful. We were just there for a long weekend. I wish we could have stayed longer!

      Delete
  8. I love the beach pictures. So funny that the photographer wanted all the jumping pictures. The Derby is not a big deal at all down here in Texas. I loved the story about judging others when you were a waitress. My perspective has definitely changed on a lot of things as I've gotten older!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya- Maturity has its perks, that is for sure. I am more concerned about things that really matter. Certainly what anyone orders at a restaurant does not matter at all!!

      Delete
  9. Haha! Well growing up in Southern California we were exposed to a lot of Mexican culture. Your family photos are fabulous! Cracking up about your Chi Chi's experience. We loved the Ark Encounter! We weren't able to make it to the Creation Museum. Happy Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellen! It has been about ten years since we´ve been to the Creation Museum. I would like to go again. I think it´s changed quite a bit. The Ark Encounter was so neat- we would also like to go back to that as well and spend more time there.

      Delete
  10. To answer one of your questions. "Yes" to all the questions posed in #1. We used to own and race horses. We sold our last one in 2013 when we hit the road in our RV. Miss it sometimes, most of the times not at all. I do miss seeing them in the pasture more than anything.
    Loved your family pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow- you owned and raced horses? That is something you do not come across every day in the blogosphere. How neat! I like seeing horses in pastures around here- majestic creatures. But I wouldn´t want to take care of one!

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed your answers. The family photos were fun. i laughed at your restaurant comment. I would've been the one ordering the chimichanga. I started making them at home, but baking them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kirstin! I just ordered a chimichanga yesterday at a restaurant so I have joined team chimichanga!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts