Monthly Musings
This is gonna be quick- when the Amazon truck makes its deliveries on our street, I need to rip the package open to complete a project for Saturday...
1. Time spent with the girls at home- it is Abby’s last summer break :(.
2. Trying to grow a garden, walking to the ice cream place, going to the pool, walks in the evening when the sun goes down (and of course for me when my boot is off), celebrating the 4th.
3. This is a ramen noodle salad that goes really well with burgers. My friend and neighbor from our first house made it once when we had a meal at her house. I asked for the recipe and she said that almost everyone she makes it for asks for the recipe...
She wrote out the recipe for me on this notecard. The recipe card looks like it’s been around since 1915 or so 😆. In actuality, my friend would have written this no later than 2005. I have made this many times over the years. Not sure that anyone has asked me for the recipe but I have gotten compliments on it and the kids all like it. The latter is better than anyone asking for the recipe :).
It’s kind of hard to read the instructions that are at the bottom. Basically, you add everything together in one bowl including the flavor packs from the ramen noodle packages. Break up the noodles. (Also don’t cook the noodles.) I’ve made it without the last two ingredients, the almonds and sunflower seeds, if I don’t have them. Their omission is not a deal breaker. Oh, and I never use one cup of sugar. I use 3/4’s cup at most, sometimes less.
4. None to speak of
5. I am not crazy about either one but I probably prefer potato salad. I don’t make either. Though you could maybe make the argument that the above mentioned ramen noodle salad is a type of coleslaw? Since it takes coleslow mix? I guess I don’t know the actual definition of coleslaw…
6. I like DQ Blizzard type desserts. But not Blizzards per se as I don’t think the quality is that good. Basically, I like chunks (lots of ‘em) of things in good quality ice cream.
7. I drink my beloved Dr. Pepper Zero Sugar year round!
8. BEACH!
9. Taking a dip in the pool.
10. I have been using Aldi brand- super reasonable in price and protects my fair skin just as well as its more expensive counterparts.



That salad sounds amazing Maria- will definitely try it this summer. Can't wait to read that you got your boot off so I can do a dance for you :) I am sure it will be a special summer for you all for so many different reasons!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Holly! I will let the world wide web know when the boot is off, lol!
DeleteMy aunt used to make that salad all the time (she passed away a few years go and while I've tried making it it's just not the same)! And I completely agree that ice cream needs to have lots of chunks in it.
ReplyDeleteIt´s a good one, isn´t it? I find that I vary the amount of sugar I put in it- one cup is way too much- but I can never remember exactly what the best amount is in it. So mine usually tastes different each time that I make it!!
DeleteI have a recipe similar to yours only it uses lemon juice, olive oil, green onions, cilantro and sesame seeds instead of sunflower seeds. Same Asian top Ramon. I’ve had this recipe since the early 90’s! I make it at least twice a year. I no longer follow the original recipe. I taste and make and it’s always a hit.
ReplyDeleteThere are some great variations on this recipe- I have had some at get togethers and always like them. Yours sounds really good. I almost always add sesame seeds to mine rather than sunflower because I almost always have sesame seeds on hand. That´s cool that you don´t follow the original recipe. I definitely adapt mine quite a bit. It is great to have a recipe that everyone enjoys eating!
DeleteCool musings, quite different than what we would have, but they do sound fun. We too would be spending as much time as we could with our kids, those days will be gone before you know it.
ReplyDeleteI feel like for the most part the days are all already gone. No, I´m just being negative, two of them are still our dependents. (Being knee deep in grad projects is not helping my outlook on the kids growing up!!)
DeleteI can only imagine you are so looking forward to being out of the boot and time with your girls this summer!
ReplyDeleteYep. I don´t want to wish away June because I want to soak up the time we have with the girls. But at the end of the month, I should get the book off and I am so looking forward to that!
DeleteI have a similar salad recipe - it's called Deiser Salad because I think the originator's last name was Deiser. Slight differences, napa cabbage specifically mentioned, the spice packets are discarded, and the noodles, almonds, and sesame seeds are cooked in butter until golden brown before being added to the cabbage and sauce. The only bad thing is that it doesn't keep so you have to cook just enough to not have any leftovers. That being said, it's so delicious that the bowl is always empty!
ReplyDeleteThe Deiser salad sounds more healthy without the addition of the spice packs. Of course the butter is not healthy but I can imagine how good the flavor of the noodles is. We eat our salad the following day if it doesn´t get eaten in one day. The noodles do get limp by the second day but Donnie at least will still eat it!
DeleteI have made a similar recipe and it's so good. I know you can't wait to be out of the boot!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Tanya- yep, I can´t wait!
DeleteNobody seems to like cole slaw in the link up today : ) I think anything made with shredded cabbage might qualify. I make a salad like yours and it's called Aisan Slaw. I like it too. I hope your Amazon delivery arrived on time! Have a nice weekend!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Joyce- you too! I noticed that cole slaw did not have many fans either :).
DeleteThat noodle salad looks easy to make and sounds delish. A winner, I would say. I'm going to try it. I love ice tea, chunks in my ice cream for sure, and I'm a huge fan of potatoe salad. Oh, and I'll take the lake or mountains over the beach any day. Oh well. We can still be friends:)
ReplyDeleteI hope you try the salad and like it! I just had iced tea for the first time in YEARS and I was shocked at how much I liked it. I mean, I added sweetener and all so it was a very sweet and enjoyable drink.
DeleteI hope you get out of that boot soon. I have had a very similar salad years ago and it is very Good! Thanks for linking up with us.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Patty! Thank you for hosting!! Always fun questions to answer :).
Delete