Hodgepodge

1. It's officially spring in the northern hemisphere. Does it feel like spring in your part of the world? If you're in the southern hemisphere it's officially autumn where you live. Does the weather say autumn? Which do you prefer-spring or autumn? Why? 

Oh goodness yes, it feels like spring! The temperature fluctuations, the rain, the thunderstorms- yes, very spring. It's hard to say whether I prefer spring or autumn. Autumn has that crispness in the air and the joy of looking forward to the holidays and being cozy inside. I love that! But spring is nice, too, in many ways. The warmth after the cold, seeing new plant life emerge, planting, planning for warm weather and outside activities.  


2. What's your favorite thing about spring? 

Seeing growth in the garden and flower beds. Celebrating Easter. My birthday is in the spring. Our anniversary is in the spring. Ok, I listed my favorite things about spring :).

Buds...


Blooms...


Herbs...


Vegetable leaves



Flowers... and it's not even April!


3. Spring into action, spring in your step, spring to life, spring to one's feet...which spring idiom currently applies to your life in some way? Explain.  

Spring into action- it's going to be a busy spring. After our school district's spring break (next week), I will be subbing a lot. I will be quite busy during the day. And we have a decent bit of plans for the weekends. I'm already getting a little stressed thinking about it (though trying to focus on the positive!).

4. Which spring food from this list is your favorite? What's a dish you like that includes your favorite spring ingredient? 

asparagus, strawberries, salad greens like mesclun, artichokes, spinach, eggs, peas, spring onions


My favorite would be a tie between strawberries and eggs (hard boiled is one of my current favorite ways to eat them). 

A dish that I like is a garden salad with my favorite veggies (none of the ones listed here sadly!), lots of cheese, some bacon (if I have any), some turkey breast and plenty of hard boiled egg pieces. (I guess I sort of described a Cobb salad?)  

5. What's one task on your spring cleaning list? Do you actually have a list?

No list. The windows need to be cleaned.  

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I haven't worked yet this week and have spent time at home. That's both good and bad as being at home sometimes results in me thinking about projects to do/accomplish around the house and in the yard. Projects are a double edge sword: On the one hand, it's great to accomplish things. On the other hand, the accomplishment does not occur without lots of decisions, time spent doing research, spending money, etc. 

The covered area of the patio is in great shape and we don't need to do anything. But the uncovered part of the patio needs some attention. We had a fence installed just one year ago that is already looking janky and we need to do something about it. 

Warped boards...

Flaking paint...

EEKS! I'd guess it to be at least five years old if I didn't know better.

Then we have this huge umbrella. We can't do anything about it- we need it as shade when we eat at the table (if the sun is out when we eat at the table. It doesn't look fantastic but there's little to be done about that aspect of it. 

Then there's the dining table. I think that because no chairs are around it, it looks like a big coffin or something. There are actually two benches for the long sides of it that are stored/pushed inside the table. And we have two chairs for the ends that are stored elsewhere. The table has two covers on it to protect it. When you take the covers off, you can play ping pong on the table, and if you slide the top hard surface of it off, it reveals a pool table (not regulation size but a smaller version of a pool table).  Anyway, being able to play games with the table is the reason no seating options are visible and it's why the covers need to be on (to protect the top of the table/the ping pong surface). It just looks a bit funny since it appears to be just a large rectangle. 




Nothing can be done about how the table looks though maybe adding a centerpiece would help make it look more table-y and less coffin/pyre looking?

I think for sure the area needs color- I need to get some planters and plant some flowers with vibrant colors. Maybe I'll ask AI for suggestions...

Linking up with Joyce for the Hodgepodge

Comments

  1. I get just giddy thinking about spring- hasn't really arrived hear yet- oh well. I am jealous of your buds and blooms! Good luck with all of your subbing work and spring plans- excited to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly! I hope that spring arrives for you soon. That pic of your open window and snow on the ground seems symbolic for what you guys go through!

      Delete
  2. Can’t wait to see your garden. Love it. Thank you for being a wonderful human being. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fun to see things spouting and budding. We have a lot blooming here. Both my girls have raised beds in their yards. I'd love to do that too, but I feel like we're on the go too much in the summer months and gardens need tending, especially with the sort of heat and humidity we get here. Our March was jam packed and there's a lot on the April calendar but less of it feels stressful to me than our March activiites. Hope all your subbing goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce! I will be looking forward to summer break like never before that is for sure!! Your daughter's raised beds were so impressive looking (I think you shared a picture last year). That's cool that both girls garden. I'm sure your weather makes gardening very tricky- you have your lemon tree so you do get to experience the joy of seeing growth and then consuming the fruit.

      Delete
  4. Chuckling at you analyzing the coffin-like state of the table! Haha! I do think putting a faux plant on top might help? Everything on my patio needs to be pressure washed and I need some decor, too. The umbrella is cute! It sounds like both things are used and functional.
    Oh no - a long term sub job coming up? I get nervous about too much on the calendar, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I made what may turn out to be a colossal mistake. I know that's pessimistic. I'm sure it will be fine... it will just make April and May hopping. A plant is a good idea- I actually did ask Chat for some help and it suggested a decorative lantern to go on top so I may go with that.

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean about finding projects around the house! I try to avoid thinking/ planning as I have kind of burned myself out on house projects. I went through years of repainting, reorganizing, etc. and while I always have a list of things I'd like to I haven't really had the motivation to tackle any of them in a long time... which I'm kind of glad about! How lovely to see so many spring signs already. It will be garden season before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne! It really will be gardening season, soon. We are in the very first stages of it. I'm glad you're satisfied with everything at home... for the moment. I know that can change on a dime!

      Delete
  6. Yep, it sure sounds like spring with you. We're having the mixed temperatures, rain but thankfully no thunderstorms. You have a lot of good things happening during the spring!
    Your salad sounds so good and your fence does look janky! That's a new word to me but I like it! The fence shouldn't be looking like that after just one year. Eek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! My favorite word from you is "faff." I need to incorporate that int my writing. I don't think I've used it yet, hehe. Right about the fence? Donnie says he can fix it. Who knows when it will happen, though?

      Delete
  7. I love spring weather and wish it lasted longer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spring can get very busy when you add birthdays and anniversaries to the Easter festivities, too. It's fun to see your spring growth and those daffodils. Ours are just about ready to show their flower. We've had 29 degree mornings which aren't helpful. Spring is fickle for sure. You could always put an extra colorful large tablecloth over the safety cloth on that table. Yes? :0) Happy Spring to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellen! What a good idea to place a tablecloth over the table! Oh, wow, your daffodils haven't bloomed yet? Ours are on the wane as they bloomed a couple of weeks ago.

      Delete
  9. I love your spring photos. I spy garlic. :-)
    HA! The big coffin, I am still laughing.
    Good luck with your future projects (the coffin) and the subbing.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carla! I've gotten some good ideas from the internet (and from here!) for the coffin table (lol). Thanks about the subbing. I WILL need that!!

      Delete
  10. It sounds like a wonderful spring. Our patio is not quite what I want it to be, but I don't want to invest in new furniture until I know what our future plans are. It sounds like you'll soon be busy with subbing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes a lot of sense! I wouldn't do much of anything either if I knew there was a possibility our time there was limited.

      Delete
  11. It seems like a busy spring with some fun things though! I do like the salad you described. Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn! Looking forward to seeing you soon!

      Delete
  12. Enjoyed your answers. I love a good salad.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts