Weekending

Had a nice Labor Day weekend! Linking up with Holly and Sarah for Hello Monday:




Donnie only worked half a day Friday and he did it from home. Early Friday afternoon, we headed out to Indianapolis, specifically the suburb of Noblesville. We went straight to our hotel and got there right at the time we could check in. 

I loved this sign in the Lobby- not the fact that it was necessary of course- but the fact that being necessary, it was front and center and no one checking in could fail to notice it. 


It reads in part:

"Quiet time begins at 10pm. Any kids running or being loud in the hallways will be asked to sit in the lobby until their parents are called to pick them up.

Please note... if you threaten or harass our staff, we will call the police and have you escorted out, no matter the time of day or circumstances. You will be removed from the hotel immediately."

The hotel is close to a music venue (our ultimate destination) and I am sure that many people imbibe drinks before, during and after attending a concert, thereby increasing the probability of loud and unruly behavior.  I think it's great that the hotel spells out exactly what rude/disrespectful behavior will result in; I hope that in the unfortunate circumstances that this signage fails to deter anyone from acting out, the hotel staff does what this sign says it will do and removes the offending party(ies) from the premises.

It reminded me of subbing since I just renewed my license. In the building I sub the most at, the grade that the school encompasses, 6th grade, is divided into four teams. Each team consists of four teachers for the core subjects that the students have classes in. I noticed early on in subbing at this school that students' behavior in one team consistently, throughout the years that I have been subbing, has been noticeably better than students' behavior in other teams. It became my goal to sub in this team as much as possible and to avoid one team in particular that tends to have the most problematic students. In talking to other subs, I realized that all of the subs had noticed the same thing about the teams and also try to sub in the same team that I like to sub in as much as possible. It is safe to say that the students are better behaved in this team than others (since it wasn't just my noticing of it). It is also safe to say that the teachers are doing something right in this team. I don't know exactly what that is, but my strong suspicion is that in the beginning of the school year, students are apprised of the expectations and when their behavior falls short, there are consequences. Students then make the choice (for the most part...) to behave in such a way as to avoid negative consequences.

Anyway- I sure hope that for the hotel staff, this sign staves off guests' unruly behavior...

Friends of our arrived shortly after we did. We chatted for a while and then walked to a restaurant. The restaurant had come recommended to us by my sister in law who used to frequent that area a lot when she worked that way. As it turned out, the restaurant was right across the street from our hotel so that worked out well. The food was good as were the prices. We all remarked that the prices seemed like pre-2021 prices. The restaurant is called Aspen Creek Grill and it looks like there are several locations in Texas and one in Kentucky besides this one (random locations!)


After that, we walked to the concert venue. The venue was the Ruoff Center and it's a large outdoor arena with some seats on the lawn and some seats under a roofed area. Our seats were in the latter category which was nice. The concert was Loverboy and Sammy Hagar/ Joe Satriani. Donnie really likes Van Halen's music and Sammy Hagar's as well as Joe Satriani. 

It was 94 degrees at 7:00 pm. T´was a warm walk!



The concert was interrupted by lightening around 8:00 pm


It started back up again twenty or so minutes later.


Around 10:30 it started lightening again and the concert ended. As soon as it ended, rain started to fall. Oh dear! We were a mile from our hotel in a thunderstorm! We could have ubered but we would have had to wait in the storm for it to arrive. We decided to walk back to the hotel. In pouring rain and lightening and thunder!! We survived so there is that. And someday, we'll look back at it and laugh but it's a little too soon for that :).

Saturday morning, we went to breakfast with our friends and then we parted company. Our friends were headed to Kentucky for the UK football game so they needed to leave Indiana to get home and then go to Kentucky. Donnie and I stuck around town around longer. The weather was humid and threatening rain but at least the heat wave was over. We found a city park to walk around in and we went to a couple of small stores that we don't have near us.

Only 75 degrees the morning after it was 95 degrees the evening before- we had to to take advantage of that and walk. 




This bookstore we stumbled on was huge but oddly only sold books along this one wall.


Quirky... or something

I have read a few of John Banville´s novels- I have not loved every one of them but he is a great writer and so I thumbed through this memoir of his. 


We were home by dinnertime on Saturday and relaxed the rest of the evening.

Sunday was church followed by driving to Columbus to pick up Alyssa for the day. She had Monday off of school, so she wanted to come home to get some items that she left at home- some of it she unwittingly left at home and some things she didn't bring to school initially because she didn't think she had the room for them.  It was great to see Alyssa and hear about EVERYHING! The hour and a half drive home passed quickly. Once home, we went out to dinner and then did some shopping for a few items that Alyssa wanted.

We ate at BJ´s Brewhouse and I got something really good and fairly healthy...

... and then something really good and fairly unhealthy (to put it mildly!!). I very rarely get desserts out at restaurants but I am very weak willed regarding Piezookies!!



On Monday, Alyssa went to meet up with a friend who was also home for the weekend. I made potato salad to have with lunch. Alyssa indicated she's liked everything food wise at school. She specifically mentioned she'd had potato salad at school that was good but, "not as good as yours." Awww, that sealed the deal- I told her I would make some for us to eat and she said that sounded good.

I made a big vat of it- doubled the recipe so we can have plenty of leftovers. Alyssa asked if she could take some back for her for Monday.

We had lunch together and then Alyssa gathered everything that she wanted to bring to school and we packed it up. 


We bought her an ice maker for her expresso machine so she can make iced drinks. Then when she´s home next summer, we will use it at the house when we need it. Win-win!

I brought her back turned right around to go home and was back home three hours later. Meanwhile Donnie had completely cleaned the kitchen. That guy needs days off more often!!



Comments

  1. Wow, that's cool you went to that concert! We haven't been to but one show this year but the last couple, we went to quite a few. This year has been beer festivals and the big vacation. The sign in the hotel indicates we have a problem in society more than anything; people are less and less respectful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure about the sign and what it indicates... This is the second concert we have been to this year. We normally don´t go to two a year. But I can see us going to more now that it´s just going to be the two of us (except school breaks). Plus we have good friends who love live music.

      Delete
  2. Ha! Donny's day off sounds like a dream to come home too :) So glad you got to see Alyssa and your weekend, despite the rain, sounds and looks like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly! It was a great weekend overall. A little (or a lot!) of rain couldn´t change that!!

      Delete
  3. What a fun weekend! I wouldn't be laughing yet either, over walking a mile in pouring rain. Someday, though, it'll make for a great memory! I am glad that Alyssa is loving school life and that you got to see her for a day. I am like you and would make anything for my kids that they love; when they make a request, I do everything in my power to make it for them! Have a great Tuesday, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Jennifer! I feel like I made the kids so many things over the years that they were just ho-hum about- when we discover that there´s something I can make that they love, well, I have to take advantage of that and make the item whenever they ask for it!

      Delete
  4. I'm pretty weak-willed when it comes to dessert period. Sounds like a nice weekend. I love an outdoor concert and am glad the weather cooperated for most of it. I love to make the foods my kids, and now my grandkids, love. So glad you had time with your daughter. Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce! Yes, it was great to see her if just for a little bit. It´s jarring to go from having two kids live with you and then to have them both be gone. While it is obviously the natural order of things that kids grow up and move out, it is so nice to have them under the roof periodically.

      Delete
  5. Other that the pouring rain/thunderstorm walk that sounds like a fabulous weekend. I sent Alec back to school with 2 bags of food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne! It was a good weekend except for walking in the thunderstorm! I´ll bet Alec loved taking that food bak with him!

      Delete
  6. The concert looks fun (except for the rain!) That hotel must have had a lot of problems for them to post such a specific sign. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya- yes I think for sure it must have had a lot of problems. It was great for us- the hotel was quiet and though there were many people at the hotel who went to the concert, everyone seemed very well behaved, even in the bar area after the concert.

      Delete
  7. Oh what an adventure with the concert! An outdoor concert is so fun, but weather can be 50/50 I suppose. I am sorry y'all got caught in such bad weather. I'm sure that was a little scary in the moment & you were so thankful to see that hotel. So nice you got to spend some time with Alyssa. I treasure even the short visits with my girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn! It was so great to see the hotel! Yes, the weather is awfully iffy for those concerts! There was a very small chance of rain/storms and it was just terribly ironic that the skies open up with rain within a minute of the concert ending and us needing to start walking back to the hotel!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts