Monthly Musings

Linking up with  Holly and Patty for Monthly Musings


1. Start early- go to bed a little earlier starting the week before a time disrupter (like a school alarm!) to get used to changing the rhythm of the day.

2. I am going to share my chili recipe. I have not made this in years because my beloved youngest, the one who had the audacity to grow up and leave home, does not care for it. She was the only kid at home for three years after Abby started college. It made no sense to make something that La Petite Fussy One did not like. But now, bereft of my last child at home (oh, I will stop with the drama soon... or try to!!), I'm going to make chili soon since both Donnie and I like it.  Am gonna need cooler temps though...Maybe by later next week?

Crock pot chili recipe


2 lbs of ground beef
1 29- ounce can of tomato sauce
2- 15 ounce cans of kidney beans (with liquid)
2- 15 ounce cans of pinto beans (with liquid)
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 cup diced onion
1/4  cup diced celery
3 Tablespoons ground cumin
3 Tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups of water

Directions: Place onion, celery and meat in a skillet over medium heat and brown the meat. Drain off excess fat.

Add the meat, celery and onion to a large crock pot. Add all of the other ingredients.

Adjust anything (obviously!) per personal preference. The original recipe (that I tweaked a lot) called for some unacceptably low amounts of cumin and chili powder. A tiny amount of those spices was a hard no!

Cook on the low setting of the crock pot for about two hours, stirring occasionally.

You can't see it, but I know it- there's homemade chili in the crock pot. I had an easy meal ready for my sister and her family when they came into town a couple of days after Christmas one year. On Christmas day, I had spent a lot of time in the kitchen, hosting a big meal for Donnie's side of the family. I was grateful that I got to see my family after Christmas but making another large meal did not sound appealing! Chili and homemade bread had to suffice :)




3. I like to wear some of my favorite cashmere sweaters when the temperatures start to dip. And lots of hoodies.





4. I don't think I have a favorite part :(.

5. Our school district has a homecoming football game and dance. When the kids were in high school, they participated in the dance.

6. Apple pie!

7. The leaves definitely change; peak foliage is usually late October

What the leaves look like from May to October


Peak prettiness- this was last year on October 21st.


8. Homemade caramel sauce- I don't really have a go to recipe; most are pretty similar, and I just usually do a search on homemade caramel sauce and pick one. I very much prefer homemade to store bought. And it's fun to say that you made it yourself, not to mention it's cheaper and bereft of many preservatives that you'd have with store bought. Most recipes call for granulated sugar, butter, salt and heavy cream or milk.

Caramel sauce pairs well with mostly homemade caramel brownies. Delicious anytime of the year but nice when clothing norms of the season cover more of the body which generally happens in the fall :).



9. Bonfire

10.  I can't think of any, really. Ferris Buellers Day Off reminds me of school though not necessarily the school year beginning.


Comments

  1. Totally forgot about Ferris Bueller's Day Off and now a few peeps have mentioned it! Your desserts are always mouth watering. Can't wait for our foliage to kick in here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I´ll bet it gets so pretty there! Fall and winter desserts are the best kind :).

      Delete
  2. I bet that caramel sauce is so good, especially with brownies! I look forward to making chili this season. My girls don't like it though. I make mine Texas style, which is very similar, but with no beans. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the caramel sauce is really good- making it can be a bit tricky with the optimal temperature and everything but it´s worth it! Your chili sounds good, though I do like the extra protein from beans. I must have never had Texas style because I don´t recall ever not having beans in chili...

      Delete
  3. Hoodie weather is one of my favorite times of the year! I broke out my first hoodie of the season this week, like getting a warm hug! Of course, I had to take it off a few hours later as the temperature was heading towards 80, but it was nice while it lasted. Happy fall to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim! To you, too! I love the cool mornings and evenings. Daytime temps often rise pretty high- it´s good to take advantage of the cool when we can!

      Delete
  4. I love cuddling up in a hoodie! Hmm, I might need some new ones. I love chili too - we usually make a vegetarian one and haven't had the meat version in awhile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been making chicken chili because it was Alyssa´s favorite. I am looking forward to beef chili!

      Delete
  5. I do think homemade treats like caramel taste so much better than the ones in stores. I love a good hoodie but really need to replenish my stock as I got rid of a few this past spring. I have chicken chili in the crock pot today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, homemade caramel sauce is so good and much better than store bought. I have so many hoodies- I need to NOT buy anymore for a long time!

      Delete
  6. I love chili and look forward to making some soon. I think most people like it and you can put out different toppings for people to make it their own. I love soups and stews in the crockpot this time of year. A quiet house takes some getting used to. Then they come home and the new routines you've established are upset again : ) Life with young adults!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That´s for sure- changing routines make life interesting! Soups and stews in the crock pot are the best. We are in for some rain from the hurricane. Rainy days are great ones for the crock pot.

      Delete
  7. Hooray for making all the grown-up food! Or grown-ups favorites. A pot of chili sounds like a great idea. Thanks for sharing a good recipe. And I really need some hoodies. I don't think I own one...but if I'm gonna keep walking as the weather continues to chill - well, I'm going to need one. Or two:) I tried making some homemade caramel sauce last weekend. For a cake I made. It was great when I poured it one but soon hardened into a plaster-liked coating on the cake. Not the best. Who knows what I did wrong....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donnie´s mom makes a caramel icing that hardens like that- but according to the family, it´s supposed to do that? At a minimum, that is how the family likes it anyway. Walking in chilly weather is great- get yourself a hoodie or two and commit to it :). Donnie and I were talking the other day. We are going to plan to walk even as late as December. We may take December and January off. We´ll see how resolve is when it cools down a lot!

      Delete
  8. I'm constantly trying new chili recipes so thank you for sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course- I hope you like it if you try it. As you can see, you can easily half it. I will probably do that for Donnie and me unless I feel like not cooking for an entire week (which very well may happen!).

      Delete
  9. And now I want some caramel sauce! YUM!!! I just need something to put it on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to just scoop and eat on its own! I usually make it for a purpose but with the leftovers in the pan, I will add a few nuts and some chocolate chips and make a small amount of caramel, nuts, and chocolate mixture. It´s so good!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts