Time on my Tuchus (TomT)- Volume 1
You know how people use the expression, “having time on their hands” to denote having free time? Well, I have free time right now. But it’s fairly limited. My free time is limited (not in a time sense) but in the sense that I am limited to free time as it relates to sitting down. I don’t have free time to run or drive or anything like that. But I have free time to read, to write, to do anything that I can do sitting down. On my tuchus. So, I am going to document a few observations that I’ve made and document some of what I have been doing while on my down time (which is to say, you know, twenty four hours a day!).
*Alyssa arrives home from school well before a traditional school day ends because she’s doing half traditional school days and half online college classes that she does from home. Having her home early means she can get my lunch for me. I could grab a granola bar and piece of fruit on my own; I am not completely unabled but one footedness has its limits (and I desperately don’t want to fall, re-injure my tendon, and prolong the time that I can’t move readily/ drive, etc). If I use crutches or a walker, my hands are needed for those devises. So preparing food is pretty much impossible for me. Alyssa has fixed lunch for me each day this week since Monday. (Sometimes it’s just heating up leftovers but again, it’s not easy for me to do something as simple as that due to needing my hands to keep my crutch up.) I am beyond grateful to her for doing this for me and doing it so pleasantly.
*Alyssa worked hard on Monday to get all of her online course work done for the week. She did this downstairs to keep me company rather than study in her room which was so sweet of her. Then she stayed downstairs the rest of the day to keep me company. I wanted to find a show or series to watch with her while she sits with me in my convalescence. To that end, I suggested we watch Melrose Place- the orginal one from the 1990’s.
*I don’t remember being a huge Melrose Place aficionado when it was on in the nineties and I’m certain I didn’t watch every episode or even every season (it was on the air for nine seasons- most of the 90’s!). Nonetheless, the characters are familiar to me and so far, both of us are enjoying watching it. Or at least Alyssa claims she’s enjoying watching it. We tried to watch 90210 a coupe of years ago and Alyssa declared it to be too old timey/ outdated for her to enjoy watching so we stopped watching it. But Melrose Place takes place in just about the same time period that 90210 did so if the latter was too old timey for her so should MP. However, I do think that the writing and characters on Melrose Place make it a better show than 90210 so maybe that’s why Alyssa is ok with it? (The other possibility is that she doesn’t want to tell me she doesn't like it since I suggested it but I really do think she likes it!)
*Speaking of the 1990’s- wow, does Melrose Place bring back a lot of memories. Not pertaining to the show, because, like I said, it was never an important part of my life... But, the show reminds me in general about the decade and it’s impossible to resist noting the vast technological advances that have changed every fiber in the fabric of society since the 90’s. The 1990’s and its epoch as being the last one of limited instant communication/ connection/ commencement of huge technological changes is certainly significant from a societal standpoint. For me, based on when I was born, the 90’s represent the decade of my young adulthood. I became an adult in the 1990’s, went to college, went to law school and got married all in the 1990’s. So pretty significant no matter what was or was not going on technologically!
*Speaking of age, I have a birthday this month. I know so many online and in real life who have April birthdays. A few family members and numerous friends and I share this month as our birthday. I know that my circle is not a large enough one to be a true sample size but I was curious as to whether or not April was a high birth month in general. I googled and it and it turns out that September is historically the highest birth rate month in the United States. I only know of two people off the top of my head who have September birthdays. So if *my* circle counted for the whole US, April would be the highest birth month and not September 😆
*There has been a lot of talk around here about the total solar eclipse on April 8. Our area is in the direct path of it. I don’t think any school district near us has school on Monday. Some businesses are closing down for an hour or two during the hour just before and after the eclipse. For me, it will be my first foray outside since the Great Fall (we plan to watch church from home on Sunday). Some of us neighbors have been texting about meeting outside in the cul de sac- in reality, my guess is that not just those of us texting but any of us at home will be outside at the appointed hour to see the eclipse. The weather forecast is looking a little better now than it had been. Less chance of clouds which is good!
*Speaking of the weather and clouds, I am going to be 100% honest and say that I am not sorry that the weather this week has been cruddy. Cool to cold temps, rainy to stormy, the sun has not shone all week-that type of thing. The gloom matches my mood and spirit! I have been trying to make the most of what happened but there is no whitewashing the fact that it was not a good thing. It seems kind of mean spirited to not want nice weather but... there actually is a pragmatic reason as well for me to prefer cloudy days. Our family room, where I sit, has west facing tall windows. On sunny afternoons, that sun shines down mercilessly into the room. Cloudy days just make for better indoor enjoyment in the room where I am sitting. On my tuchus. And on that note, I have completed this missive!
April showers bring May...please let me be on my feet empowered!
The upcoming week also looks to be a gloomy, albeit warmer. Fine with me :).


Oh, this is going to be a long few months, but I am hoping it becomes better for you with each passing week as you find new ways to keep busy and also keep still! So sweet of Alyssa to help you each day. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Marilyn! It will be a long few months and I am lucky to have such good ¨caretakers¨ as I refer to Donnie and Alyssa.
DeleteI know you must be thankful that Alyssa is able to help so much! I don't blame you for wanting cloudy weather. Wow, Melrose Place brings back so many memories. I used to get together with other teacher friends and order pizza to watch MP. And speaking of 90's technology, I can barely remember the days when we had to call to arrange a time to meet friends or catch up with family. Now it just text, text, text! Hope you have a good week, despite the circumstances.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Tanya! It is amazing how we have gotten used to all of our modern communication devices! Your get togethers to watch MP sound like a lot of fun! I used to watch it with my college roommates. I am enjoying my rewatch of it- this time with an appreciation/ awe of all of the technological changes between then and now. It is also interesting to watch these young adults navigate the challenges of starting out while having young adult kids of my own. The main character Allison is so sweet! It´s also, so far very PG, maybe a little PG-13 in parts which is ideal when watching with Alyssa. Overall, it´s clean and there´s always a good message or moral. (I guess I have become a big fan, lol). I hope your weekend is going well!
DeleteI don't think I've ever seen Melrose Place.
ReplyDeleteIf you´re ever looking for a good show from the 90´s- I recommend it!! I think it´s on Amazon Prime. Alyssa always sets it up for us to watch but I think that is where it is.
DeleteI know how humbling it is to need so much help from your family; yours are all doing a great job of taking care of you! I haven't thought about Melrose Place in forever, but I did love that show. Have you watched Friday Night Lights? That's another one Alyssa may enjoy watching with you. I also loved One Tree Hill! I know you can find both somewhere, but exactly where alludes me right now. I didn't realize you went to law school! Did you ever practice? I'm so curious! I enjoyed reading this, and I'm glad you're writing more right now!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jennifer! Yes, Alyssa and I watched FNL a few years ago. We really liked it. I have not seen One Tree Hill. Yep, I went to law school but I never practiced!
Delete