Thankful Thursday

Even when things are bad, they could be worse. Oh goodness, that sounds negative. Even when things are *not great*, there is still plenty of good- maybe that is a better characterization. Consciously reminding myself of the good- I am thankful that Jennifer hosts a Thankful Thursday link up. I mean, it is not like I need a particular link up to post about a particular topic. Still, knowing there's a link up each is an encouragement to focus on the topic. 

Speaking of Jennifer, I was supposed to have met her this weekend and some other bloggers in a fun city this weekend. They are still meeting but I can't drive so I will be at home. I was really looking forward to meeting the ladies but that was not to be. Maybe some other time...

Here are some things that I am thankful for this week:

1. More food! Specifically, food for which we did nothing to procure. I wrote a TT post last Thursday. After I published it, later in the day, three people came to the house each bearing multiple meals for us. It was such a blessing and I don't take for granted the kindness and thoughtfulness of family and friends. One of my friends came over this week bearing treats from our favorite gourmet grocery store, Dorothy Lane Market. Oh my! Such rich goodness but I have really had to exert some self-control since I am burning all of fifty calories (give or take...) a day. 

One friend brought over two of these meals- they are from Dorothy Lane Market and they consisted of meatloaf, mashed potatoes and almond green beans. The meal looks institutional, but everything tasted really good!

My friend who brought the meat loaf meals also brought these cookies from DLM. Alyssa says she likes these better than homemade. What? Now, that's bordering heretical in my book but whatever.

I don't have a picture of the lasagna that a friend brought (we froze it so I'll be able to get a picture when we thaw it and cook it) or the crock pot full of chili that we consumed over the course of three days! 

A tray full of scrumptious brownies...

Buckeye candy!

2. These beautiful flowers that my Aunt Katy brought to me. My birthday is later this month, and these were part of the birthday goodies that my aunt gave me for my birthday. I placed the watering can turned flower vessel within eyesight of my perch on the couch so that I can see them and enjoy looking at them at will.




3. Speaking of my Aunt Katy, I am thankful we had a great visit with her. My aunt lives close to five hours away from here in Michigan, so we don't see each other often. She is my closest older relative if that makes sense. She is my only parents' sibling in good health (my only other living aunt (I have no living uncles) is receiving hospice care) and so she is one of the only adults who knew my mom, knew me when I was a child, etc. My aunt didn't come to visit just for a visit. She came to see the eclipse which we saw on Monday. Though the visit was tangential to the reason that she came to our house we did, nonetheless, spend lots of time together.  I have not lived nearby to any relative of mine since I was eighteen years old. I will take any reason for a visit- from a celestial event, to a big birthday (like last year for me), to just someone passing through- I am always thankful when I get to see one of my relatives. 

4. Speaking of the eclipse... we saw it! I wrote about already, so I won't beleaguer the point. But I am thankful that we saw it, that it got me outside, that the day was nice, that I got to hang out with neighbors, etc. It was wonderful to see some of the "kids of the cul-de-sac" together on Monday to view the eclipse. Alyssa has been friends with many of these kids since she was a baby (or whenever one can be cognizant of others; make friends) and we have been friends with the kids' parents for as long as we've lived here, over eighteen years. I don't know what the future holds in terms of where Donnie and I will live long term (perhaps plenty more years in our current home, maybe much less) but whatever it ends up being, our home and its locations were great places to raise our family. As the latter task is nearing its completion, I can say with certainty that I am glad we landed where we did to raise our family. All of us have made great memories not just with us and within the confines of our home but with our neighbors, many of whom we've spent countless hours hanging out with as our kids played together, spending New Years Eve together many years, the kids themselves becoming good friends with other neighborhood kids, etc. 

Someone posted this photo of the eclipse on a neighborhood app...

Enjoying the sunshine... before it briefly went away!





5. Speaking of hanging out, the eclipse, my aunt-  I am thankful that these events came together which resulted in a good day for Alyssa on Monday. Last week, she did an enormous amount of work for me and for the household and she did it all with such sweetness and helpfulness. She deserved a break from service and from me(!) and she got both on Monday... She didn't have school on Monday so she was able to sleep in. Then she and her best friend Avery went to get Starbucks and then they both went to the grocery store for us (ok, her day still included some acts of service to us!). Alyssa arrived home close to lunch, helped get lunch situated for my aunt and me and then she packed a lunch for her to take to Avery's house. Avery is one of the aforementioned cul de sac kids; the girls decided to have a picnic lunch outside to discuss where they are going to school- goodness knows they were running out of time- before it was time to view the eclipse. I was happy for Alyssa that she got to spend time doing fun things on Monday rather than go to school and help me out constantly.

6. Well, speaking of make a decision about college, I am thankful that she did make a decision. She and her best friend Avery are going to room together at Ohio State. The whole college decision thing was a long time in the making. Alyssa and Avery have been best friends for years. When they were in middle school, they got a bee in their bonnet(s?) about going to the same college and being roommates there. At some point in high school, they realized that this may not be a reality and they were ok with that. One may have gotten a great scholarship to a school that other didn't, one may want to attend a certain school due it being a good one for their particular anticipated major, or any other number of things that could render them not going to the same college possible or feasible. However, by their senior year, they realized that their top two choices were the same ones. They determined that they would choose the same one and be roommates a la making their middle school college dreams come true. They decided on Ohio State, so these girls are Buckeye Bound! I have lots of feels/ thoughts on the subject. The predominant one is that I am happy that they made their choice. 

From sharing a Little Tykes toy...

{I debated about sharing this photo because Alyssa looks like a conductor on the hot mess express, albeit an adorable one and no fault of her own, obviously. The juxtaposition between her appearance and Avery's cracks me up. Avery's mom is very much type-A and that is evident in Avery's clean face, hair bow, clean, new looking shirt (despite Avery having an older sister just like Alyssa). Alyssa is sporting nasal secretions, it looks like she may have gotten into some make up, no bow for her, and she's definitely wearing an Abby hand me down that was either stained or dirty. #reallife

I decided to include it in here to show how long these girls have been hanging out together}

...to choosing a dorm room together

{And Alyssa's visage has improved considerably with her being in charge of it!!}

7. I am grateful for everyone's prayers, including mine, in me feeling more normal, albeit much less normal than usual. I was honestly shell shocked for a good part of last week. I was in a state of, not denial, because it obviously happened, but just weirdness due to the situation. I guess I have accepted it which is good since that is the reality and one should reside in the realm of reality, ideally, lol. In terms of healing, it is impossible to know how that is going (I am completely pain free which is great). I am hopeful and prayerful that healing is happening and I will be able to move less addled soon. 







Comments

  1. You got this Maria- better every day! Glad you have so much love and support surrounding you XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Holly! I am feeling more normal every day even though everything is still way off due to not being able to move normally!

      Delete
  2. You are right...there is always something to be thankful for each day. That is so fun to read about your daughter and her friend as college roommates! I am so glad you have had such support in so many ways from friends and family. We are going to miss you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn! I was so looking forward to meeting you all and spending time with you. I will look forward to reading your recaps even though I will do so with a twinge of sadness that I couldn´t be there. I am grateful for all of the support we´ve been getting!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful thankful post! I LOVE buckeyes but we have to make our own up here as they definitely are not a CT "thing." In fact we got our recipe from a homeschooling mom in Ohio during 50 states post card exchange we participated in. I am so bummed that we won't get to meet this weekend but glad to hear you are feeling good and getting showered with kindness, food, and help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanne! I wondered if buckeye candy was regional. We had them in Indiana but IN is pretty close to Ohio so that would explain it. I look forward to hearing about your trip. Safe travels!

      Delete
  4. What a great post! So much to be thankful for...and I have discovered the secret to your recovery. Dorothy Lane Market (which I have never heard of but am pretty sure that I need one) and buckeyes!! Here's to continued healing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer! If you ever get up this way, you must check out DLM (and me, of course!).

      Delete
  5. Such a cute photo and my, how they have grown into lovely young women. So thankful for your friends who have brought meals and goodies to you. From the look of your leg, moving around, visiting the "necessary", and taking a shower are a monumental effort. Been there, done that, I know what it's like. Wishing you continued steady recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pamela! I am grateful that Alyssa has a life long friend and that the relationship will continue. I am also grateful for friends and family kindness and helpfulness.

      Delete
  6. I loved every single word of this post, Maria! I can see how looking for the good in the moments that you're spending in recovery at home is changing your perspective and your mindset. Not to say that you'll never struggle, but I do think it helps tremendously, and I am glad to see you're in a good place. Much love to you, my friend! I still want to meet you someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! I am trying to be positive!! I hope to meet you someday. I know that Abby would love to go to Memphis as she´s an Elvis fan. Maybe we can roadtrip there and we can get together. I will definitely text you if/ when we have a trip to western TN planned!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts