Two Girls New to New Jersey- Tall buildings of NYC!!

Abby and I were properly impressed with New York City 😀. I figured that we would be and we were! I was amazed by the vastness of it as well as the height of many of the buildings. It was truly an amazing site to see... We had been seeing the skyline or part of it from New Jersey for two weeks before we made our way into the Big Apple. Seeing it from a distance for a while made seeing it up close even more amazing. (Sorry for the three words with the base word of "amaze" in it. I could come up with synonyms for "amazing" but decided to leave my original word intention, redundant as it is.) 

The NJ Transit bus that took us into New York City from Teaneck, NJ dropped us off at Port Authority Bus Terminal. The NYC port authority is the largest bus stop in the world. (Though I had nothing to compare it to since I've never been to any other city's bus stop terminals.) It was in a great location, Midtown, specifically between 8th and 9th avenues and 40th and 42nd streets so we were able to walk to a number of touristy destinations. 

The first time that Abby and I took a bus into the city, we made our way to Rockefeller Center so that we could go to the top of the Rockefeller Plaza and do the Top of Rock tour. We rode an elevator up to the 67th floor of the building and got to see some amazing views.

At the plaza before heading in...

Inside the building

At the top...





The next tall building experience that I had was when my sister and I took a bus into the city on a day that Abby was at her internship. We had several hours before I had to pick Abby up; we hopped onto the first bus that we could take into the city after I dropped Abby off. 

Unfortunately, the day alternated between rain and clouds (though the sun would make an appearance... several hours after we left the city ;(). A cloudy day is not the best day in which to ascend to the top and try to see far into the distance. But, we had run out of days. If we wanted to spend time in the city, we had to deal with less than perfect weather. 

My sister and I walked from the bus stop to the Empire State Building to get tickets to go to the top. On the way, it started to rain. Ugh. The forecast called for a 60% chance of rain. But it had called for a 60% chance of rain the day before and it ended up being beautiful almost the entire day so we were cautiously optimistic that the weather would hold out. Not so but the rain did stop by the time we got to the very top of the Empire State Building. Unfortunately, we were not able to see up to six states away like you can on a clear day.

Katy and I and the Empire State Building umbrella

We bought tickets and then made our way to the museum area of the building. There were photo opps and lots of interesting information about the process of the building of the ESB. We spent quite of time in this interesting area in part because we were interested and in part because it was raining and we hoped that the rain would stop by the time we got to the top. 








I dialed back the drama for this one, lol.

The first observation deck was at floor 80 and the second one was at floor 86.


At the top- though not the view of the city...


All right, here are the view pics....

Not- see- six- states- away view but... better than rain?






We found a good way to get our picture taken together, non selfie style. When I saw a group of people taking a selfie, I asked them if they'd like me to take their picture. They were always appreciative of this and then I'd ask if they would take a picture of me and whoever I was with (I did this every time that we visited touristy places). It was a win- win!!



On our last full day in Jersey, Abby and I went into the city after she was done interning for the day. I wanted Abby to see the top of the Empire State Building since it went higher than Top of the Rock did. Unfortunately, visibility wasn't much better on this day. The weather was better but it seemed foggy at the top? Also, the sun was starting to set but it wasn't low enough to look cool. It wasn't a great experience. Abby said that she preferred Top of the Rock to the ESB.

With a view like that, it isn't too hard to see why she preferred Top of the Rock...


One side was much clearer...


Those were some of our tall building experiences in NYC!

I would definitely recommend going to either building or both during a visit to NYC.

Top of Rock cost $40 per person plus we paid a $15 surcharge for going on the weekend.

When my sister and I went to the ESB, it was $40 a person (I think...)

When Abby and I went to the ESB, it was much more expense. I don't remember exactly what it cost but it was well over $100 for us total. I wonder if I didn't inadvertently buy a more expensive ticket package (I bought the tickets from a kiosk and could have fat fingered  something?)? 

Not cheap but worth it!!


Comments

  1. So beautiful! I've been to Top of the Rock, but we skipped ESB. I really wish we hadn't, but will just have to hit it up someday when we go back. It's very Sleepless in Seattle up there, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! Yes, it was!! I liked both Top of the Rock and ESB. The visibility was so much better when we went to TooR but the ESB takes you even higher and that was so cool. I would definitely do ESB when you go back there someday.

      Delete
  2. Such amazing views! I have been to both before, and also think I enjoyed Top of The Rock views better because you could see the ESB from it. There are several more buidings now that have observation decks, but it all does get pricey pretty quick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was cool to see the ESB from Top of the Rock. I wondered if other buildings had observation decks. I only knew about Top of the Rock from reading about it in blog posts people have written about their trips to NYC!

      Delete
  3. So fun! We were just there in April and I was chuckling at your dramatic pics at the same spots we stopped at. Incredible building and worth the trip for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly! Didn't you guys go to Top of the Rock in April? I thought that I had recently read about someone going there and that is how I'd heard of it. I was thinking it was from your recap from your trip in April. Or maybe you wrote about the ESB? I don't remember exactly except that I knew you went to at least one tall building's observation deck.

      Delete
  4. So fun! I haven't been to the top of the empire state building since I was in high school (and I don't remember anything at all museum like!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne! I wonder if they've added some of the museum stuff? It was really interesting to read about the history of the construction

      Delete
  5. That's awesome that you were able to get some Manhattan time with your daughter. That is an iconic mother and daughter trip. You can visit Manhattan over and over your entire life and always find something new. Melizza and Lucy were there earlier in the year to pick out a dress for our niece at Kleinfeld's. Melizza and I are going to soon to see Here Lies Love on Broadway which is about the political upheaval in the Philippines that occured when she was a child. Lucy was going to join us but high school soccer conflicts will keep her at home. The look on her face when she realized she cannot go and then when she found out where we are staying was not a happy one. She has requested a return trip for her 16th birthday. At any rate, you have inspired me to do an observation deck. I have done them many times but I think Top of The Rock has the best view. That is particularly true of the Empire State Building and Central Park. I have not been for a few years other than airports and the number of supertall and thin skyscrapers that have been completed has really enhanced the skyline. We are going to try a new one since I have done New York so many times. The Edge at Hudson Yards hangs off the building and is 1,131 feet high making it the highest observation deck in the Western Hemisphere. Hopefully we get it on a clear day. Thanks for sharing. You certainly inspired me to hit the observation decks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Doug! I did not know that about Hudson Yards or I would have been tempted to check it out. Top of the Rock and ESB were convenient for us because we could walk to them from the bus stop and see a lot of interesting things on the way. Our guide in Central Park pointed out some of the new, huge skyscrapers (I mean, we had noticed them but he told us what they were). Your upcoming trip to the city will be epic, I'm sure!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts