Things on My Mind (TOMM) Recently (or TOMMR??)
Anyway, the first thing on my mind is student loans. And the forgiveness/ taxpayer on the hook for the student loans instead of the borrower. And then the Supreme Court's recent decision saying that the foregiveness/ taxpayer on the hook for the payment instead of the borrower is unconstitutional. I won't share my entire thoughts on these student loans events related political events though I have lots of thoughts. Rather, using this headline, I'll instead share a few thoughts about student loans and loans in general.
It seems to me that the repayment of student loans should have an impact on consumer spending. Repaying any financial obligation means that the consumer has less money to spend on consumer goods. Whether the financial obligation is fairly small, say to pay monthly installments on a vehicle or large like a mortgage for a property, the result of paying it means there's less money to spend or save. So, yes, it would be surprising and indeed unsettling, if the repayment of financial obligations didn't result in less spending.
Donnie and I paid the equivalent of a second one mortgage in student loan payments for close to twenty years. Our combined student loan monthly payment was higher than the mortgage of our first house! Assuredly, we spent less money every month that we made that huge payment versus when we finally had the loan paid off.
I'm sure this will make me sound old and curmudgeon-y, but back in my day, the zeitgeist concerning student loans was not that the loans were for other people to pay. The expectation was that if you took the loans out, you would repay them. I mean, bankruptcy laws exist to assist people in individual cases of financial hardship but as a cohort in general, student loan borrowers expected to pay off their loans themselves. (Though I'm not even sure if student loans are or used to be discharable in bankruptcy.) I think it's a sad state for the body politic in America that large numbers of borrowers demanded that taxpayers pay their loans instead of them. That a politician was willing to do that is, in my opinion poor governance, but it's not surprising.
Speaking of politics, I've been thinking of the old adage of it not being polite to discuss religion or politics with others. I find it interesting that in the blog sphere that I'm in, religion and faith are very much talked (well, written) about. I think it's great to discuss faith and Christianity with others in blog posts and comments. Writers and readers can encourage, build up and be strengthened by the words of others. What a blessing!
But when it comes to politics, I've noticed that most people don't discuss current cultural/ political issues in their blog posts (including me though I very occasionally do). I have read posts where the writer strongly dislikes a particular politician and writes something like, "I can't stand politician X." But, no analysis on any issue has been given, just a knee jerk, "I cant stand politician X." I get not wanting to discuss politics on the one hand, I really do. There are a seemingly endless amount of topics about which to write so why bother writing something that readers may be offended about or disagree with you strongly? That is primarily why I avoid writing much about politics. (The other is a nascent fear of Orwell's 1984 coming to fruition and me standing in Room 101 room in the Ministry of Love and someone asking me why I wrote such and such about a topic on the blog and there I am hoping to not get tortured due to political opinions I'd written about in the past. Kidding. Sort of.)
But, so many "odd" cultural events are unfolding around us- I feel like what's going on culturally/ politically is somewhat like the proverbial elephant in the room. I'm happy to share pictures of my favorite sweaters and my pizza crust recipe and likewise I enjoy reading posts about such things from others. But sometimes it feels oddly incongruent to share a lot of our lives via a blog and not talk much about politics and/ or current events since politics affects a great deal of our lives?
Speaking of the blog, last month something really unusual happened. My blog stats as far as viewings each day skyrocketed. We're talking many hundreds of views each day when normally, well, six hundred views don't happen. It was like that almost the entirety of the month. Almost as soon as July hit, the stats came back to "normal." It was kind of cool in an egocentric way to see those stats. But it seemed strange, too, and I was completely fine to see the numbers go back to normal a couple of weeks ago.
I can't think of a good segue but... rhubarb is the next topic. I planted rhubarb in the garden last summer. All the information that I read about it said to not plan on cutting any rhubarb stalks the first year and consider not cutting any the second year as well. That is to encourage more growth. So last summer and this summer, the plant has just existed. Nothing has come of it. Except the leaves have grown huge and are quite pretty on the plant! I couldn't help but take a picture or two.
This year, I read up again on the plant and this time read that eating the leaves is dangerous. I mean, I hadn't thought to eat the leaves but it's a little unusual for leaves of a plant with some edible parts to be poisonous. Then I read another article and it mentioned to not forget to add rhubarb leaves to dishes. Uh, the poisonous leaves? Another article said that though the leaves are poisonous, the leaves can added to a compost bin. Uh, NO! I think I'm going to have nothing to do with the leaves despite conflicting information. Better safe than sorry and hopefully next year, I'll have some beautiful rhubarb stalks (not leaves!) to eat.
Pretty n' poisonous- a quite pretty, apparently poisonous verdant rhubarb leaf







Beautiful blog
ReplyDeletePlease read my post
ReplyDeleteI loved this and I love that you shared your heart a bit about the blogging about politics thing. I am one who NEVER talks about politics- in person OR on my blog. I suppose I stay away from it, because it's just not something I enjoy talking about. We feel the same about the current ones holding office as you, for so many reasons- he is ruining our economy, he is sick and warped in his thinking, he is being played and used as a puppet, he and certain family members may very well be criminal- I could go on, but those are off the top of my head before 7 a.m. I suppose I like to read more "fluff" than real world, so I don't know what that says about me, but I do know it is a means of wanting to escape reality. I have been like this since I was a little girl, maybe because I'm the type of person who easily becomes nervous. I hate thinking about how bad things will probably get for us someday, and it is a scary topic to think about. There's another blogger that I used to read who was very political on her blog, but on the opposite side as you and me. I had to stop reading it, because I couldn't stand the "bashing" she gave to the Republican party! Anyway...just wanted to chime in.
ReplyDeleteOn another note, I had no idea Rhubarb plants had toxic leaves, and the Rajani who commented here is probably spam. She comments those exact same things on my blog at least once a week. I'm rolling my eyes.
Thank you for chiming in! I appreciate it. I was pretty sure that you and I had similar political leanings. I could write so much about the topic of politics!! It interests me a great deal. We talked a lot about politics growing up and political science was one of my majors in college. I wish I didn't care so much about it!! I love that many blogs that I love to read (including yours) are honest, upbeat, inspire me to dress cuter, make a better meal, do a fun activity with the kids that I hadn't thought of, etc. I understand that many don't want to write about politics on their blog for a variety of reasons and I don't blame anyone for not. I feel like for me, given my interest in politics, I at least have to acknowledge that I don't write a lot about it but it is a very important topic. I know what you mean about bloggers whose political opinions are different than mine. I don't mind disagreeing with someone but ideally I would know that we disagree because the person lays out articulate reasons for the beliefs that he or she has. After reading many people write, "I can't stand so and so" regarding a politician, I determined to not do that. I will write about policies or positions that I don't agree with a particular politician on, but I"m not going to carte blanche bash the politician. Like you, I have decided to cease reading blogs whose content I find appalling regarding politics. It is not the disagreement that I can't handle, it's the way it is done. That is why I try to articulate my positions (when I take them!!) in a respectful manner.
DeleteRajani has commented on my blog before as well. I guess spammers are one reason that some bloggers put in comment moderation? I would not want to do that but may have to.
Ok what you said AND what Jennifer said- that's all
ReplyDeleteThanks, Holly!
DeleteI definitely don't think to write about politics mainly because I try to keep my blog positive and feel like anytime I talk politics I end up complaining! LOL. I also feel like I have zero answers on how to improve them and that makes me feel so small and helpless, which I hate.
ReplyDeleteI can not get over the size of your rhubarb leaves! Your plants are definitely doing well.
Thanks, Joanne! Yes, I can relate to what you're saying. Your blog is positive and fun to read yet you're honest and real- an ideal combo to me. For me, I feel like because I am interested in politics, I need to at a minimum acknowledge that I don't discuss politics much but that I think politics is a very important subject and things culturally are crazy right now. Regarding the rhubarb, thanks. I had no idea that the leaves would get so big (or that are likely poisonous, lol).
DeleteThanks for addressing this, as this platform is tricky to discuss politics. I line up with you (& Jennifer), but honestly, because I don't listen/watch the news much, I feel so uneducated on so many things. I listen to podcasts which will mention current events, but usually it is just the headlines without much else. Praying for our leaders as another election will be here before we know it!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Marilyn! Yes, tricky is a good word to describe it! I feel compelled to stay up on current events. Many times I wish that I didn't...Prayer is definitely the best thing. Earthly kingdoms come and go but God's is eternal.
Delete