UPitP- Mother's Day weekend- May 9 & 10

Had a nice, cool Mother's Day weekend. Here's how the weekend looked:

Saturday- I woke up around 6:30 am and decided to go on a run. Checked my watch and saw that it was only 28 degrees. Yikes! That's considerably colder than I'm used to running in recently. It was nothing insurmountable, however; I just bundled up and away I went, slowly but surely. Later in the morning I went to the grocery store. Abby wanted to go to the grocery store with me to pick out the veggies/ fruits/ snacks that she wants for the week.  Alyssa gave me the list of items that she wanted from the store. Jacob was already gone at work when Abby and I left (J is pretty easy to buy snacks for as his preferences vary little :)). I was pleasantly surprised to see almost all kinds/ cuts of meat available since we've heard of meat processing plants shutting down. Also, prices didn't seem abnormally high.

In the afternoon, we worked on the stair spindle project. We are enjoying this project- the process and the result. The process is time consuming but not difficult and consists of numerous steps so we always know where we are in the process. While in some ways it would be nice to wave a magic wand and have the project be complete (or, more realistically, pay someone to do it), we have plenty of free time since we're so limited in what we can do/ where we can go- it's worked out well to have a project/ purpose to fill some hours. I am getting the hang of how to do it even though I couldn't do it, if that makes sense. Also, enjoyed hearing a word like, "folcrum" used in real life as opposed to reading it in a textbook (spoken by Donnie, not me. I sort of know what "folcrum" means but couldn't use it properly in a sentence like Donnie can and did when describing removing the old spindles :)).

Saturday evening we watched a movie- the first Pirates of the Caribbean. We had never seen any of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies prior to Saturday. I'm probably good on my Pirates movie viewing from here on out. But I had a bowl full of popcorn so the evening was in no way unenjoyable :).

Sunday morning was Mother's Day- ah, a day of pampering or a day of using an Allen wrench to remove extraneous parts of wrought iron spindles- whichever works... My day was more of the latter than the former but that is OK. I was with the family (Jacob worked part of the day but only for five hours) and that's what counted. We worked on the staircase projected for a couple of hours. We then spent some time cleaning up the house because we were having company later in the day.

I'd texted Donnie's mom a few weeks ago and said she was welcome to come over on Mother's Day for a visit but completely understood if she decided to not come and visit. She said she wanted to come. So, we had our first visitors since late January (we'd had sickness in February (likely not covid although apparently it has been in Ohio since January) so we didn't entertain during Feb.- had plans to entertain in March but those were thwarted by the virus). It was good to see Donnie's mom again. We picked up Olive Garden to eat at our house since take out was the only option.

We didn't watch our church's sermon but the church's website has a link to it so we'll watch it later this week. It's the first time we've "skipped" church in a long time except that we will be able to make it up in the exact same way we'd have seen had it had we not skipped it.

Before and after- the upcoming weekend forecast portends bad weather which is great for the project. Hopefully we'll get the remainder of the wood spindles out and the wrought iron ones in.



Lots of steps (pardon the pun)


,


Working up here with all the open space was a little nerve- wracking...



I made no bake cookies on Sunday. I'm about 100% positive I hadn't made these in 30 years prior to Sunday. My siblings and I used to make them a lot as teenagers. They were OK- a little too sweet for me and there are way more desserts that I like better. But I'm glad I made them and the kids got to try them (they just liked them OK, too). Donnie had had them before and liked them well enough.


Flowers and candy for momma- two of my favorite things!


A few more of my favorite things...


Comments

Popular Posts