UPitP- April 27- May 1- Moving out and throwing in the towel
April 27- A beautiful day in the neighborhood (even though we woke up to frost (grrr...) with temps topping out in the mid sixties. The girls worked on their tans after they did their school work. I worked on an ongoing photo project and got gas in my car in the afternoon for .29/ gallon. Gas was $1.29/ gallon but I had a dollar off per gallon with Kroger fuel reward points. Made soup for dinner even though the house was quite toasty- the previous Monday was also a warm day and also a day that I made soup. No one complained so I won't take soup out of the dinner rotation just yet. After dinner, Abby and I went on a bike ride. We went a new route and went further than we usually do.
April 28- Another nice day, temperature wise. In the morning, Jacob and I went down to UC to move Jacob's items out of his apartment. We had no furniture to move- just clothes and household items. It was still many trips to both of our cars (we drove separately so we'd have two cars' worth of space for Jacob's belongings). I found a parking spot in a great location vis a vis moving him out but not so great legally- I was in a tow zone. I was worried, of course, the entire time we were there that my car would get towed (I was not worried enough to move it- like I said, it was a really good spot). I moved my car to a legal spot and then we walked to get lunch. Jacob wanted sushi while I wasn't sure what I wanted but knew it wasn't sushi. We got our lunches to go (we couldn't, of course, eat in any restaurants) and had to wait the 45 minute drive home before we could eat.
April 29- This day dawned overcast; the rain came a couple of hours later. It was the perfect day to stay at home all day so that's what we did... most of the day. Abby was out of one of her favorite snacks so we ventured out to get her snacks- I ended up buying quite a bit of items we were running low on. I may not need to go to the grocery store this weekend. Jacob took his second to last final exam for the semester. He will be done with his first year of college (such as it was thanks to the virus) by the end of the week. Speaking of being done with school, the girls' school system is throwing in the towel on e-learning. Students will receive no new assignments beyond May 5. Since this announcement came out in the middle of the week, and since students are only receiving one assignment per class per week usually on Monday or Tuesday of each week, they'll receive just one more assignment for each class for this school year. I'm hoping that students who take the ACT in the next couple of years will get some points added to their scores to make up for being taught about 1/10 of what they would have the last quarter of this school year- a sort of "educational stimulus" akin to the economic stimulus checks that many Americans received.
April 30- The last day of the month and the last day of Jacob's first year of college. He took a calculus exam in the afternoon, that, upon completion, marked the end of his first year of college. It will be one to remember. I'm proud of Jacob this year at school. He successfully navigated life on his quasi own (until in person classes were canceled in March), the academic rigors of the business school, meeting new people from all over and making new friends, keeping existing friendships/relationships from high school, traveling with friends (safely during the pandemic due to sheer luck- they stayed at a place owned by one of his friends's parents so they had a private beach thereby making the trip a lot safer) and he did all of the above while working most of the school year. He didn't need to work but wanted to work and I'm proud of him for that. Lazy he is not... outside of the home. There are too many empty boxes of Cheeze Its in his room that belie saying he is not lazy in every capacity :). As for the rest of the day, Thursday, this was a very ho hum day. The girls worked on school. Alyssa cleaned out her closet while talking to a friend- they face timed each other over the course of several hours. The weather was overcast/ rainy/cool so we stayed inside all day. Abby and I have been watching episodes of Say Yes to the Dress so we did that when she finished her school work. Before dinner, I took bags of food to our church for the food bank.
May 1st- A chilly start to the new month- I turned the fireplace on in the morning. Ordinarily, I would have just turned the space heater on but a couple of weeks ago my space heater almost caught fire so.... I had to throw it away. Jacob had work in the morning so he left for that. Abby and Alyssa both had school work to do in the morning. In the afternoon, I ran out to Lowe's to pick up an online order we'd placed over the weekend and then stopped at Kroger to get an item we needed for dinner plus a couple of more items. The Kroger that I went to is not the one that I normally go to; however, this Kroger was directly on my way home from Lowe's so I stopped at it. I ran into my father in law who was also shopping- the store is huge so there was a good chance we could both be in the store and not see each other. It was nice to catch up with him and chat. I don't think I'd seen him since late January, probably at Alyssa's birthday party.
A few pictures from the week:
Monday-
Fourteen gallons for $4.20? SOLD!


Soup on a warm spring evening (it tastes better than it photographs :))

Tuesday- I never tire of seeing Hughes High School. It's a Cincinnati public STEM school. The building's ornate features and unique structure draw my eye to it. The street that Jacob's apartment building was on is adjacent to the school so, whenever driving from home to see Jacob at school, as soon as I saw Hughes HS, I knew I was close to Jacob's.


Jacob's apartment building... just a slight departure from Hughs HS' building style


Jacob's apartment was pretty nice- it was brand new and completed just before students moved in. Some residents complained that there was still drywall dust on their floors when they moved in.


Babies as well as college freshman don't keep

In a tow zone- YIKES! That was some risk taking for me. The last time I remember parking in a tow zone was when I was in college and was desperate for a parking spot.
Friday-
The difference a few hours make- from needing a fire to nearly perfect spring temperature


April 28- Another nice day, temperature wise. In the morning, Jacob and I went down to UC to move Jacob's items out of his apartment. We had no furniture to move- just clothes and household items. It was still many trips to both of our cars (we drove separately so we'd have two cars' worth of space for Jacob's belongings). I found a parking spot in a great location vis a vis moving him out but not so great legally- I was in a tow zone. I was worried, of course, the entire time we were there that my car would get towed (I was not worried enough to move it- like I said, it was a really good spot). I moved my car to a legal spot and then we walked to get lunch. Jacob wanted sushi while I wasn't sure what I wanted but knew it wasn't sushi. We got our lunches to go (we couldn't, of course, eat in any restaurants) and had to wait the 45 minute drive home before we could eat.
April 29- This day dawned overcast; the rain came a couple of hours later. It was the perfect day to stay at home all day so that's what we did... most of the day. Abby was out of one of her favorite snacks so we ventured out to get her snacks- I ended up buying quite a bit of items we were running low on. I may not need to go to the grocery store this weekend. Jacob took his second to last final exam for the semester. He will be done with his first year of college (such as it was thanks to the virus) by the end of the week. Speaking of being done with school, the girls' school system is throwing in the towel on e-learning. Students will receive no new assignments beyond May 5. Since this announcement came out in the middle of the week, and since students are only receiving one assignment per class per week usually on Monday or Tuesday of each week, they'll receive just one more assignment for each class for this school year. I'm hoping that students who take the ACT in the next couple of years will get some points added to their scores to make up for being taught about 1/10 of what they would have the last quarter of this school year- a sort of "educational stimulus" akin to the economic stimulus checks that many Americans received.
April 30- The last day of the month and the last day of Jacob's first year of college. He took a calculus exam in the afternoon, that, upon completion, marked the end of his first year of college. It will be one to remember. I'm proud of Jacob this year at school. He successfully navigated life on his quasi own (until in person classes were canceled in March), the academic rigors of the business school, meeting new people from all over and making new friends, keeping existing friendships/relationships from high school, traveling with friends (safely during the pandemic due to sheer luck- they stayed at a place owned by one of his friends's parents so they had a private beach thereby making the trip a lot safer) and he did all of the above while working most of the school year. He didn't need to work but wanted to work and I'm proud of him for that. Lazy he is not... outside of the home. There are too many empty boxes of Cheeze Its in his room that belie saying he is not lazy in every capacity :). As for the rest of the day, Thursday, this was a very ho hum day. The girls worked on school. Alyssa cleaned out her closet while talking to a friend- they face timed each other over the course of several hours. The weather was overcast/ rainy/cool so we stayed inside all day. Abby and I have been watching episodes of Say Yes to the Dress so we did that when she finished her school work. Before dinner, I took bags of food to our church for the food bank.
May 1st- A chilly start to the new month- I turned the fireplace on in the morning. Ordinarily, I would have just turned the space heater on but a couple of weeks ago my space heater almost caught fire so.... I had to throw it away. Jacob had work in the morning so he left for that. Abby and Alyssa both had school work to do in the morning. In the afternoon, I ran out to Lowe's to pick up an online order we'd placed over the weekend and then stopped at Kroger to get an item we needed for dinner plus a couple of more items. The Kroger that I went to is not the one that I normally go to; however, this Kroger was directly on my way home from Lowe's so I stopped at it. I ran into my father in law who was also shopping- the store is huge so there was a good chance we could both be in the store and not see each other. It was nice to catch up with him and chat. I don't think I'd seen him since late January, probably at Alyssa's birthday party.
A few pictures from the week:
Monday-
Fourteen gallons for $4.20? SOLD!


Soup on a warm spring evening (it tastes better than it photographs :))

Tuesday- I never tire of seeing Hughes High School. It's a Cincinnati public STEM school. The building's ornate features and unique structure draw my eye to it. The street that Jacob's apartment building was on is adjacent to the school so, whenever driving from home to see Jacob at school, as soon as I saw Hughes HS, I knew I was close to Jacob's.


Jacob's apartment building... just a slight departure from Hughs HS' building style


Jacob's apartment was pretty nice- it was brand new and completed just before students moved in. Some residents complained that there was still drywall dust on their floors when they moved in.


Babies as well as college freshman don't keep

In a tow zone- YIKES! That was some risk taking for me. The last time I remember parking in a tow zone was when I was in college and was desperate for a parking spot.
Lunch to go... and to wait until I got home to eat (well, except for the fries. I got into those during the ride home).
See ya Cindy- Jacob sure hopes he is back living there in August for school
Friday-
The difference a few hours make- from needing a fire to nearly perfect spring temperature


I made Jacob this red velvet cookie cake with cream cheese icing to celebrate completing his first year of college. All was going very well until the platter this was on in the refrigerator fell out of the fridge when the door was opened. The glass platter did not break, shockingly, but the cookie cake fell icing side down on the kitchen floor. 😧 I promised J I'd make him another one...





Comments
Post a Comment