Weekending

Linking up with Holly and Sarah for Hello Monday:



Friday was good- I subbed. As in I choose to be at school on Halloween. Whaaaat? In my defense it was for 8th grade so no littles to deal with. Also, the teacher for whom I subbed runs a tight ship- I was pretty confident the students would work hard and behave. I knew at a minimum that the teacher would keep them busy. The day ended up being good- students could wear costumes to school but few did. They behaved fine- no issues at all. 

Halloween school fit- staff could dress in costumes and I considered it but decided to just go for festive. Thank goodness- very few teachers/staff dressed up. I would have stood out like a sore Tootsie Roll, lol!



I skedaddled home because I had work to do there. I baked the cookies for which I'd made the dough the day before. I was taking them to a Halloween party we were going to later. My friend Nicole loves these cookies- how could I not bring lil' monster cookies to a Halloween party that she was throwing?



Then I had to run to Sam's Club to get drinks and paper towels for the firm. Since we've been obtaining the drinks for staff, it's impossible not to notice how often they need to be replenished. Far be it for me to judge others' pop drinking habits and heaven knows if my employer provided pop, I'd be drinking even more... so... this is more of an observation than a judgement. 


From there, I ran to Chick-fil-A to pick up a tray of nuggets to take to our friends' house whom we were passing out candy with.

Donnie was home when I got home. We got into our costumes and headed to our friends' house. It was our friends' house who'd thrown the Star Wars themed party a couple of weeks ago. They moved some of their Star Wars items outside. We all sat outside in our Star Wars costumes to hand out candy. It was fun but chilly :).





Then all of us went to our other friends' house for a Halloween party there. It was fun and we stayed way too late. Did I mention I'd been awake since 3:00 am? By midnight I felt like a zombie.







Thus ended the fun part of our weekend! Donnie and I spent almost the entirety of Saturday working inside the house. Sorting things, organizing things, pitching things, considering selling things, etc. Our rate of "thing" accumulation has so far exceeded our rate of getting rid of things it isn't even funny.  Doing the work was not fun but it needed to happen. When Jacob came home, he was shocked with the progress. 

This cabinet had been in the finished part of our basement for years. We decided to move it to the unfinished part to give us more room in the finished part. The cabinet had been a TV cabinet when we first moved in twenty years ago. Now I use it to store linens. 

The cabinet had been located where the two stand up arcade machines are in this picture. One of the arcades had been in my dining room. I was understandably happy to have it moved to the basement. 



The three gray bins in the middle were ones we filled on Saturday. Donnie bought the bins after he went to the gym on Saturday morning. #notminimalists

Sunday we went to church in the morning, came home and then I didn't go anywhere except to pick up the pizza that we had for dinner. I got a lot done in the dining room.

How it started:

How it ended! I was not planning on decorating for Christmas originally. But, well, it's a long story why and of course I'm not done in this room at all- why there are no place settings at the table and there's no hot cocoa bar so clearly it's incomplete 😆

Donnie took a page out of my book and bought clearance Halloween candy on Saturday. I didn't have any as I'm back to no sugar after a relapse on Friday...

I took this guy off the mantle in the patio (I took down all of our fall decor (I know, I know, it's still fall...)). It's the one pumpkin that grew in the garden. Normally, I throw out decorative pumpkins- sometimes I'll roast the seeds. But because this guy emerged from a vine that started off as a seed in our clay heavy ground, I decided to cook the pumpkin and make puree with it. 

So weird looking cooked...

I was pleasantly surprised with how much puree I got 


The kids had good weekends! One of Abby's best friends from college came to TN to visit her. They had a lot of fun at a Halloween event and they went hiking.

Alyssa went to a Halloween event and then on Saturday, she went to the Ohio State game.

We didn't watch football on Saturday as it was our work day in the basement. We did have the TV upstairs for the OSU and Indiana U football games so when we came upstairs, we could catch glimpses of it. We couldn't watch the UC football game due to it not being aired on YouTube TV. It didn't end well for the Bearcats anyway...

Speaking of losing football teams, this little cutie doesn't seem to have a care in the world regarding her team's abysmal football season

Purdue being last in the Big 10 (that oddly now consists of twenty schools...) is not cramping MG's style :).

Comments

  1. What a fun and festive weekend! Shocked I did not see the Tootsie Roll but loved how in character you were for the Star Wars themed party. Those cookies look and found amazing. Can we have the recipe? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly! I will definitely share the recipe. I know- I missed dressing up as a Tootsie Roll this year. I am really glad that I didn't wear it to school on Friday since hardly anyone was dressed up!!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a nice weekend! We definitely need to spend some time cleaning out. Ash swears we're going to do it the week he took off around Christmas but we will see. Interesting that the kids didn't wear costumes at school; I would say the majority of the students at mine did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool that many wore costumes. I passed by our intermediate school (6th grade) on my way home just after school let out and I saw most kids in costumes- at least those who were waiting for rides were in costumes. My husband so rarely takes time off of work. That is why we had to do the clean out over the weekend. And it's why we don't do clean outs often. Who wants to spend a weekend doing that?? But we were both on the same page and I'm glad that it happened.

      Delete
  3. Good job on all your cleaning out! I think I understand the Christmas stuff; it probably had to do with going through things while you were at it so I find that smart!
    Your Friday was a marathon! Thanks for subbing on Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! Yep exactly about the Christmas stuff and the dining room... Friday was busy and it didn't help that I'd gotten about three hours of sleep the night before. Though maybe being on the move kept me from falling asleep...

      Delete
  4. You did look festive for school on Friday. That cute look would definitely been a costume for me. (Not a costume girl.) Kudos for all the heavy moving - and getting the arcade out of the dining room...lol. A very productive weekend, for sure. Happy Monday to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer- you mean you've never worn a Tootsie Roll costume before?!? It was a wonderfully productive weekend. Donnie and I were beaming at each other and at the house by the end of it :).

      Delete
  5. Looks like a fun weekend! And I'm sure all that organizing and purging feels good. And reclaiming the dining room! I love the Christmas seat covers and might look for something similar. Your Halloween looks like a great time. Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce- I really like the covers and they tie in when the room gets really crazy looking when everything in the room gets festive :)

      Delete
  6. It sounds like a good day subbing and I love your t-shirt. Those cookies look so good! What a busy evening but fun! I love the Star Wars theme!
    It sounds like a productive Saturday! Your dining room is gorgeous, so festive!
    Good job to Donnie buying the clearance candy! I don't know why but I didn't think you had KitKat's in the US. lol I love them with a cup of tea!
    Well done with the pumpkin, it does look so weird cooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! Oh yes, Kit Kat's are a thing here- we even have different flavors now. The weekend was busy and fun and productive- the very best kind of weekend!!

      Delete
  7. fyi-I replied to your question about the cake on my blog. Never sure if people see a reply that goes on the blog. I can email you if not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I love how much fun your Halloween was. :-)
    I loved all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Halloween sounds like it was a lot of fun! It also sounds like you had a really productive weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne- yes and yes! it was really good :).

      Delete
  10. It looks like a fun weekend! We were bummed out to miss some games due to the youtube tv issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guys are not happy with YouTube TV right now. They're missing Monday Night Football and they were not happy that they couldn't watch UC on Saturday. Other than that, it was a good weekend :)

      Delete
  11. I love your festive Halloween outfit for subbing! Chick Fil nugget trays are such a great option for parties. We get one every Christmas Eve and I love it! Looks like you had a weekend of equal parts fun and productive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts