Friday five point five

It was a really good week overall and here are some highlights/lowlights/midlights (anything that strikes my fancy to talk about!)

1. On my way to school one morning early in the week- Due to the time change, going to school early no longer means leaving when it's pitch dark. So weird- I kept thinking I was late since it wasn't pitch dark when I left. Also, one of my favorite Christian radio stations plays Christmas music exclusively starting on November 1st. So my drive consisted of driving in the near light and listening to music that I hadn't heard since last December. It was a bit discombobulating truth be told. 

I do like Bob Seger's voice quite a bit- there are worse voices to hear crooning.

2. I worked half a day in the morning one day which I loved. Some subs don't like half days but I really like them. By the time I arrived home, it was still morning (albeit late morning) and I was able to get errands run, clean up the house, and continue to work on decorating for Christmas.

I took items to sell at Play It Again Sports. They took almost everything and cut me a check.


3. The garden is really truly 100% almost done for the season. Temps will be getting into the twenties in a few days and there's a chance for snow Sunday evening. Clearly the garden plants have had their time in the sun, literally, and now it's time to say goodbye to the garden.

I pulled these on Monday. They will complete their ripening inside in a paper bag.

I also got these from the garden early in the week and used them to make breakfast burritos that turned out really good.

I picked these on Thursday. That is gonna be it for the peppers. It's turning freezer this weekend so the tomatoes and peppers are DONE for this season.

4. We did something different and fun one evening this week. We met friends at the movie theater to watch a movie. We watched a director's recut of Rocky IV. The star, Sylvester Stallone, is the director. He took out about forty minutes from the original and added forty minutes of different footage. The movie was fine; the popcorn and company were the highlight for me :).


5. I made a pumpkin roll! It did not turn out perfect looking or like any picture ever posted for a pumpkin roll recipe. She's quite homely in fact. I used pumpkin puree from the garden pumpkin, naturally. The puree that I made is much less solid/more runny than that which comes from the can. So I'm pretty sure that threw off the consistency. I added more flour to make up for the runny puree but I had no idea exactly how much to add. I also did not have the correct size pan to use so that wasn't good either. However, the batter tasted pretty good to me; I know the pumpkin part tastes fine. And the cream cheese icing- well, I didn't screw that up so it turned out fine. Next, there was a problem with icing it. I didn't ice it all the way to the end because I thought the icing might squish out as I rolled it. The icing really didn't move so now I have a pumpkin roll that does not have icing at the end! Oh wells. I can't decide if I'm going to serve the roll this weekend (I will cut her into pieces and not serve the weird looking ends- hopefully the inner pieces will look normal) or stick her in the freezer and get for a Thanksgiving meal. 

In inauspicious start...

This was peak cuteness for it! I had to roll into into a towel after it came out of the oven. I grabbed a towel and it happen to be Thanksgiving themed. So cute!

5.5. I received this in the mail. Such an odd looking box. Want to unbox it with me? 

It's rated G I promise

Inside were garlic bulbs to plant. I ordered them and well, they arrived! The box they came in just cracked me up. Now I've got to get these bad boys in the ground SOON- before that hard freeze happens.

Comments

  1. That is quite the fancy box for garlic! I bet half days are great..you work and still have time to get things done at home. Going to the movies with friends sounded fun. Have you ever run up the Art Museum steps in Philly...like Rocky? I've walked up them and posed with his statue. I have started decorating...little by little!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The box cracked me up- from elegance... to a mermaid... to garlic? Yes, that is what I love about subbing half days. I looked for one for today- I have way too much to do to work a full day. I didn't find one so I'm not working today. I have never been to Philly- I'd like to and if I were with my husband, that is something for sure that we'd do. He really likes all the Rocky movies.

      Delete
  2. Oh I can tell your pumpkin roll was stellar- what a great way to use your garden pumpkin! I have garden envy with all of those tomatoes and peppers- you are simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly! You're so sweet. I just planted, watered, weeded and then post copious amounts of pictures to show the world my lil' veggie kids :).

      Delete
  3. What a nice week! You're very ambitious in your cooking, and I think it's great that you made a pumpkin roll, even if it didn't look as pretty as you'd hoped. I'm sure it was delicious! What an interesting box to receive garlic in! I hope you have a great day and weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenn! We haven't actually tried the roll yet but I think we're going to today... I'll likely write about it for my weekend blog post. I thought that box was too funny!

      Delete
  4. I wish we had a chance of snow! I love pumpkin roll, how cute is that rolled up in the Thanksgiving towel. Your Golden Mermaid box does look like it might hold something more than G-rated but ta-da, garlic bulbs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the box hysterical considering the contents?? Garlic bulbs, whodathunk? I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the snow as I will be driving when it's supposed to come down. I'm a wimp about driving in it- hopefully it won't stick...It does look pretty though :).

      Delete
  5. Looks like a lot of fun things this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some really fun things about the week :).

      Delete
  6. The time change really does mess with our heads. I am still thinking it's much later than it is when it's coming in dark and our clocks changed a week before yours. I'll get used to it eventually.
    Eek to the predicted snow! It's cold here but not cold enough for snow. You have done so well with the produce from your garden.
    The theatre trip sounds like fun and I did not expect the garlic bulbs in that box. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The time change does just take time to get used to... It hasn't been quite a week yet. The chance of snow keeps going up which I'm not thrilled about due to having to drive when it's predicted...

      Delete
  7. I felt the same way going to the gym this week; I kept thinking I was late since it was so light out. What a pretty and fancy garlic box! I bet the pumpkin roll tastes great and that's really all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne- exactly about the pumpkin roll- as long as it tastes good, that's all that matters... I plan to cut it today- ain't no way I'm presenting it as it is with frosting not going all the way to the edge, lol.

      Delete
  8. That is the funniest box for garlic. I feel the same way about how light it is in the morning. I get back from my walk and it is only 7:30am! I bet the pumpkin roll was delicious. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya- I think we'll find out today how the pumpkin roll tastes- I sure hope it's good!

      Delete
  9. I have so much blog catching up to do! It seems I have time to write them or read them - rarely both.
    You’ll need to let us know if you sliced and served your pumpkin roll. I would have done the same - not iced it all the way through. Maybe cube the ends, and add pudding and whipped cream for a mini trifle?
    Eww….snow.. yuck. It’s not too early for it though, I know.
    Hope it was a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenni- Your pickleball leagues likely take a lot of your free time. I'm not in any "extracurricular activities" so I definitely have time to write and read. I can see how it would be a challenge depending on other hobbies. I sliced the pumpkin roll but did not serve it!! I actually thought about turning the whole thing into a trifle. Great minds think alike :).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts