Hello Monday

Linking up with Holly and Sarah for Hello Monday



Had a nice, empty nester preview weekend- Alyssa had plans Friday and Saturday evening and she worked on Saturday and Sunday during the day. So it was just Donnie and I most of the weekend. Thankfully, we had plans and got things done at home as well so it was a good one.

Friday evening was homemade pizza because, Friday night! It was good and the leftovers ended up being being partial meals for us over the weekend. 

Saturday morning, when I got back from my run and Donnie did a work out at home, it was time to put together the bed for the guest room. We had ordered a queen size bed frame/ headboard from Amazon for the room. We didn’t want to invest a lot of money into quality furniture (sorry guests!!) for a room that will likely not get used too much. Also, the room is pretty small and it was hard to know exactly how much furniture would fit (the room has had a twin bed in it for years) so we didn’t want to buy a set. We figured that once we assembled the bed, we would be able to tell what additional pieces of furniture will work for the room and just buy them one at a time.

It only took about two hours to put together (I’d read some reviews that said the instructions were awful, hard to follow, etc.) but Donnie led the way and I helped when needed. 

These baskets for under bead storage seemed a tad small? I mean, you wouldn’t have to put storage items in one of the baskets but the baskets are nice for containing the items. The only reason I can think of that the baskets weren’t bigger is that the size of box that the bed came in was impacted by the size of the baskets. Had the baskets been bigger, the width of the box would have reflected that and it would have cost more money to ship. 


We headed out to Sam’s Club to get additional items for the room like pillows and sheets. Also a late lunch:

Just another day in paradise- handsome hubby and a $3.38 yummy lunch- YESSSS!

This pizza pretzel thing was SO GOOD!! (If friends hadn't been coming over on Sunday afternoon, I would have tried to talk Donnie into going to Sam’s Club for lunch on Sunday after church for this exact lunch again!!)

Also, one does not go into Sam’s Club expressly for cookie clusters (though I guess it’s possible?) but it’s a fun trip when a container makes its way into the cart.

When we got home, we put the linens into the washing machine so that we could make the bed when everything was clean. We had plans to have dinner with friends and go to a movie. The timing worked out that we got everything washed and dried before we had to leave. 

We met our friends at Archer’s Tavern- an independently owned restaurant in Centerville. It’s one of those places where the food is good every time that we go there though we don’t think to eat at it often. Since we were going to the movies afterward, obviously, I planned on eating popcorn there so I didn’t want to eat much at dinner. I had this “award winning” chili and it lived up to the menu description hype! So good- Donnie and some of the others shared wings and Donnie was wow’d by two of the different wings that he had. 

After dinner, we went to see the movie Ordinary Heroes. It was based on a true story and it starred the actor who played the main character in Reacher, Alan Ritchson. It was good and all of events took place in Louisville, Kentucky. Two of our friends who we were with bleed Kentucky blue and white (and met at the University of Kentucky!). They enjoyed all of the Louisville/ UK references. The movie is considered “faith based” but it was very faith based lite. 

Isn’t this heart shaped popcorn container amazing? The hearts, the shape, the popcorn- I could hardly handle it. The chocolate candy is chocolate covered gummy bears. Have you had them? DO NOT if you haven’t. Repeat the line, DO NOT. Reminders of the taste and texture of them will infiltrate your thoughts when you are least expecting them to. It’s better to not know the joy of them than to pine for them 24/7. You’re welcome!! (If you do give in to temptation, may I suggest you pair them with buttery theater popcorn and a Coke Zero?)

Sunday was church and and then a trip to HomeGoods to look at lamps for the guest room Later on, two of our friends stopped by briefly. The weather was gorgeous and Donnie and I got to go on a walk. He and I hadn’t done that since the fall. I exercise outside all winter but it was nice to walk with Donnie outside. I also worked in the guest room for a little bit.

Here is a partial view of the guest bed- I may change up the order of the pillows- not sure. We still have more decisions to make/ things to buy. But... should a guest stop over, he or she would have a place to sleep on in our guest room :). 

Picked up a script at CVS before the pharmacy closed. Since I hadn’t made it to the grocery store, I picked up sandwiches for dinner at Jimmy John’s. And that was pretty much our weekend!

Comments

  1. What a fun little weekend! Great job on putting the bed together- don't think I could hack that ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly! I don´t think I could have done it on my own!

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of the underbed storage but agree with you, they could have bigger baskets. I was considering making a bedframe with storage under it but then Zoey could not jump up there and heaven forbid she cannot get on the bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! I guess you can always just place stuff under the bed and use a bed skirt to hide it??

      Delete
  3. What a fun weekend with you and your hubby! There is nothing as good as a cheap lunch, right? I love how the guest room is turning out and can't wait to see the finished product. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a wonderful weekend and that guest room is looking so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne! I can´t wait for it to all come together!

      Delete
  5. The bed and guest room look so nice. We are starting to think about furniture options for Grace's grad school apartment. That kind of bed where you don't need box springs looks ideal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya! I would definitely recommend the kind that doesn´t take box springs. Good luck with the furniture options and everything that moving entails. Looking forward to hearing about where she is heading for grad school :).

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a good weekend! I love a movie based on a true story. I have purchased all of our bed frames from Amazon but most of my headboards came from Wayfair. I do like the bedframes that allows for storage underneath and doesn't need a box spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn! The last two beds we have purchased are from Amazon and they are the ones that don´t take a box spring. They are also easy to put together and not too expensive.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like such a good weekend! That pretzel thing does look delicious and so does the chili! Your guestroom is looking so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea! I can´t wait for it to all come together!! The pizza pretzel was so good. I can see trips back to Sam´s Club just for a cheap, good lunch :).

      Delete
  8. That bed and bedding is adorable! The pizza pretzel also looks delicious. I love fun foods like that! I have ordered furniture from amazon and been pleasantly surprised. The small sectional I bought for my kid's living room was around $700 and was so much better quality that I thought it would be for that price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan! We bought Alyssa´s bed from Amazon and it was pretty good quality and looks nice, too. I´m glad you guys like your sectional you got from Amazon. Alyssa has a small sectional sofa in her room- I can´t think of where we got it but it is small (perfect for her room) and cute as can be.

      Delete
  9. Your guest room is coming along nicely. I love the flowered shams, very Cath Kidston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pamela! I am OBSESSED with the shams!! I thought a comforter in that material might be too much? But maybe not. I have not heard of Cath Kidston but I´m going to check it out!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts