Weekending
Friday evening, I attended a staff holiday party. It was the staff party of the school where I sub the most. I am not on staff because my employer is a quasi government organization, not the school district. It's an odd employer situation- ie, I don't know who my boss is- but I guess such is the nature of temp(esque) work. But, the principal of the school where I sub the most invited a couple of us subs who are at the school a lot as "honorary staff." I thought it was so kind to have been invited but I wasn't planning to go. Then one day this past week, both the principal and the vice principal were standing in the hall when I came into the school. They were both like, "Are you coming to the staff party? We hope to see you there!" I didn't want to lie and say that I had plans when I had none and I didn't want to explain that I'd prefer to stay in because that's just about always my preference. So, I said I'd go :). The party was really fun- good food, good company. I like all the staff at this school. It's a small school (just one grade) and I've gotten to know most of the teachers/ staff fairly well in the years that I've been subbing there.
My friend Linda- the school nurse.
The space for the party was great- the clubhouse of a housing subdivision.
There were no decorations inside (besides the photo op space but one of the teachers brought that) but the outside was lit up and pretty.
Saturday, we had no plans. Not true, the more that I think about it, anyway. I had no plans. (The teen had plans and Donnie did as well.) I woke up early and ran and then got a lot done at home. I made some goodies and froze them for an upcoming event where the weekend will be quite busy and I will be glad that I already made the goodies. I wrapped some Christmas presents, read, cleaned up the house and went out just once to a grocery store that I don't normally go to (Meijer). I normally don't shop around to find the best deals on groceries but I had randomly seen a flyer for Meijer and it had really good prices on a couple of big items that I wanted for our Christmas meal and for when we have guests after Christmas. It felt good to get some holiday food shopping done but I do need to stop buying now. My refrigerator, freezer and basement freezer are stuffed to the gills.
Donnie spent the day with Jacob in Cincinnati. I can't wait to post all the pictures. Kidding. There are no pictures of this event because, Jacob and Donnie... They attended the Cross Town Shoot Out. Fortunately, this event was bereft of bullets; shots here refer to basketball. Every year Cincinnati rivals The University of Cincinnati and Xavier University compete in a basketball game against each other for this named event. UC fell behind big but pulled within two points (or tied?) at one point late in the game but they lost. They went with one of Jacob's oldest friends who also attends UC and a good time was had by all.
Sunday was waking up early, running and going to church. We stopped by our local gourmet grocery store (we pass it on the way home from church) to get items for lunch and then we relaxed for most of the afternoon. I worked on addressing Christmas cards while watching the Bengals/ Browns on TV with Donnie. Jacob was at this game with his boss- his boss bought tickets for them to go to the game. It was a good game to get to see in person. A win against the Browns and the weather was mild- what more could he ask for?
The red outlined photos are address labels- our family picture is on them. How extra is that, lol? I got the address labels for free from Shutterfly, that is why I have them!! I like them don't get me wrong but I wouldn't have purchased them.
Sunday early evening, Abby and I headed into Cincinnati to see a choir concert. My friend Kirsten is an amazing cello player. She told me about this event about a month ago and said she could give me a link to watch it on a livestream. Then I heard her practice (she is a strings teacher at school) one day before school started and I knew I wanted to hear this live. I love the cello and traditional Christmas music so this was a win! The concert consisted of a several songs sung by a choir, instrumental songs with instruments including the trumpet, tuba, violin and cello among others and lastly, we non choir members joined in a song at the end. It was such a great performance by amazingly talented musicians. I identify as musically talented; if I could get some affirmation and a spot in the choir for next year, that would be great...
The church where the concert at was pretty
the sanctuary where the concert was held
just one typo on the program cover...
Kirsten and me- her cello sounded SO GOOD! I was wearing The Most Uncomfortable Shoes That I Own (that I may not be owning much longer)












What a cozy little weekend and I spy the plaid heels- they look great on you!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Holly! They were not comfortable but they are cute!
DeleteWhat a fun weekend! How sweet that the school invited you to their holiday party.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Joanne! It was nice of them to invite me. The staff at the school is the best!!
DeleteSounds like a full weekend and love you were a part of the school party!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Marilyn! I thought it was really nice that they included me and a couple of other subs.
DeleteYou make me laugh. I love your sense of humor! It was so nice that they made sure you were welcome at the staff Christmas party. I can see why you love that school! I love going to concerts like you went to on Sunday! I love the cello- it may be my favorite instrument of all time. And those shoes are adorable, but I am with you- I have to have comfortable shoes or I have to toss (donate) them. You are so right about boys and pictures- I am always asking mine to send me pics and do you think they ever do that? No. What a great weekend! I hope your week started off well!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jennifer! Isn't the cello the best? It may be my favorite instrument as well. I know two amazing cello players. My son has probably fifty pictures on his entire camera roll. He just does not take them! I hope he doesn't regret it someday but I'm afraid he will...
Delete