Three Rineer Drivers
IT happened... Jacob got his driver's license. And so, for the first time in our family's history, the number of family members who drive is higher than the number of family members who don't drive. I think that's a good thing :). No, it's a good thing for sure.
Jacob passed his driving test on a wet, windy, yet warm- for- January day. There was actually a wind advisory and I was worried that the cones he needed to drive in and out of for the maneuverability test were going to topple over and he wouldn't be able to test. Thankfully, that didn't happen. I watched him take the maneuverability test. I was scared to watch yet I couldn't turn my eyes away. I was almost positive that he passed it but wasn't quite sure as I was watching from quite a distance away. When I saw the big grin on Jacob's face as he approached me, I didn't need to hear him utter the words, "I passed," because his face told me everything I needed to know.
On our way home, we made a stop at the McDonald's in Waynesville (he took his test in Xenia so we passed through Waynesville) for a little treat. A friend who lives in Waynesville told me a few years ago that the McDonald's in Waynesville is one of the few McDonald's that uses lard in which to fry its potatoes for French fries . Every time that I pass the McD's in Waynesville, I'm tempted to try the French fries. When Jacob and I went through the drive-thru of the Waynesville McDonald's after he passed his driver's test, I tried to convince him to order French fries to see if they tasted better/ different than other McDonald's fries. I forgot that he isn't a big fan of French fries. He only wanted a McFlurry. French fries sounded good to me but I had dinner in the Crock pot at home and didn't want to spoil my appetite so I settled for a large Coke Zero. I can't tell you if the McDonald's in Waynesville uses lard to fry French fries or not, but I can say that their Coke Zero was flat. 😖
Within ten minutes of Jacob and me arriving home after he passed his test, Jacob made his first solo drive. He didn't go driving just for the sake of driving- he had an appointment with his trainer at the gym. He and the car arrived home intact about an hour and half later so his first solo drive was a success :).
Speaking of cars, Jacob has his own car to drive. It's not his car; rather, it's the car he currently has the privilege to drive. It's a pretty nice car for a 16 year old- an 11 year old BMW that still looks and drives good. Donnie drove the car that Jacob is currently driving for about 10 years. It was such a good car for Donnie that he didn't want to trade it in when he bought his latest car (a new to him BMW that he bought last month). Donnie put well over a hundred thousand miles on his old car so the car has high miles and wouldn't be worth much for a trade in. Notwithstanding the car's high miles, it was such a good car mechanically for Donnie that he preferred we keep it in the family. So Jacob is driving it now. The car that Donnie bought last month is a very nice, newer, but not brand new BMW. It has high miles on it. The plan is that Donnie will drive his newer BMW until Abby starts driving (merciful Minerva!) and then Donnie will let Abby drive that car and he'll get himself another new to him car to drive. Eventually, after each child has been given driving privileges of Donnie's hand me down cars, Donnie plans to buy the car of his dreams. But that won't be for a while since Alyssa is only ten years old!!
Jacob will be using his own money to pay for gasoline at least until the start of spring soccer season when he will be driving quite a distance for practice. We don't intend to make him pay for his activities. Right now, he has a part time job reffing basketball and he'll use the money he earns from that for gas money in the immediate future. We're also finding creative ways to help offset the cost of adding him to our insurance. So far, Jacob has been amenable to all of our suggestions. He loves to drive and I dare say he'll do whatever we request to keep on truckin' in his car.
Here is a picture of the McDonald's in Waynesville where we went through the drive thru and almost tried the French fries to determine if they're fried in lard also known as the first stop we made on our way home from Jacob passing his driver's test so when he asked me, "Are you really taking a picture of the McDonald's?" the answer was yes, because, memories.
The day after Jacob got his license, the kids had a two hour school delay. It was most unexpected, at least by me. I hadn't checked the forecast to know that overnight temps were going to drop below freezing. It had been so warm the day before. Anyway, it was a nice surprise for all. Jacob wanted to drive to school the first day that he could and that day fell on the two hour delay day. That meant that when he left for school it was light outside. If there hadn't been a delay, he'd have left the house in darkness. I glanced out the window after he walked outside (I promise I don't hang out all day looking outside our windows!!) and thought it was cute that his neighbor friends all came out to chat with Jacob regarding his getting his license/ driving to school. His friends all drive and one of his friends, Malcolm, used to drive him to school (heaven forbid they now carpool). Anyway, pictured are Calvin, Steven, Malcolm and Jacob.
Jacob passed his driving test on a wet, windy, yet warm- for- January day. There was actually a wind advisory and I was worried that the cones he needed to drive in and out of for the maneuverability test were going to topple over and he wouldn't be able to test. Thankfully, that didn't happen. I watched him take the maneuverability test. I was scared to watch yet I couldn't turn my eyes away. I was almost positive that he passed it but wasn't quite sure as I was watching from quite a distance away. When I saw the big grin on Jacob's face as he approached me, I didn't need to hear him utter the words, "I passed," because his face told me everything I needed to know.
On our way home, we made a stop at the McDonald's in Waynesville (he took his test in Xenia so we passed through Waynesville) for a little treat. A friend who lives in Waynesville told me a few years ago that the McDonald's in Waynesville is one of the few McDonald's that uses lard in which to fry its potatoes for French fries . Every time that I pass the McD's in Waynesville, I'm tempted to try the French fries. When Jacob and I went through the drive-thru of the Waynesville McDonald's after he passed his driver's test, I tried to convince him to order French fries to see if they tasted better/ different than other McDonald's fries. I forgot that he isn't a big fan of French fries. He only wanted a McFlurry. French fries sounded good to me but I had dinner in the Crock pot at home and didn't want to spoil my appetite so I settled for a large Coke Zero. I can't tell you if the McDonald's in Waynesville uses lard to fry French fries or not, but I can say that their Coke Zero was flat. 😖
Within ten minutes of Jacob and me arriving home after he passed his test, Jacob made his first solo drive. He didn't go driving just for the sake of driving- he had an appointment with his trainer at the gym. He and the car arrived home intact about an hour and half later so his first solo drive was a success :).
Speaking of cars, Jacob has his own car to drive. It's not his car; rather, it's the car he currently has the privilege to drive. It's a pretty nice car for a 16 year old- an 11 year old BMW that still looks and drives good. Donnie drove the car that Jacob is currently driving for about 10 years. It was such a good car for Donnie that he didn't want to trade it in when he bought his latest car (a new to him BMW that he bought last month). Donnie put well over a hundred thousand miles on his old car so the car has high miles and wouldn't be worth much for a trade in. Notwithstanding the car's high miles, it was such a good car mechanically for Donnie that he preferred we keep it in the family. So Jacob is driving it now. The car that Donnie bought last month is a very nice, newer, but not brand new BMW. It has high miles on it. The plan is that Donnie will drive his newer BMW until Abby starts driving (merciful Minerva!) and then Donnie will let Abby drive that car and he'll get himself another new to him car to drive. Eventually, after each child has been given driving privileges of Donnie's hand me down cars, Donnie plans to buy the car of his dreams. But that won't be for a while since Alyssa is only ten years old!!
Jacob will be using his own money to pay for gasoline at least until the start of spring soccer season when he will be driving quite a distance for practice. We don't intend to make him pay for his activities. Right now, he has a part time job reffing basketball and he'll use the money he earns from that for gas money in the immediate future. We're also finding creative ways to help offset the cost of adding him to our insurance. So far, Jacob has been amenable to all of our suggestions. He loves to drive and I dare say he'll do whatever we request to keep on truckin' in his car.
Here is a picture of the McDonald's in Waynesville where we went through the drive thru and almost tried the French fries to determine if they're fried in lard also known as the first stop we made on our way home from Jacob passing his driver's test so when he asked me, "Are you really taking a picture of the McDonald's?" the answer was yes, because, memories.
And here he is pulling out of the drive way on his first solo road trip. The fact that one and a half cars appear in the this photo and one and a half of our neighbor's home appears is because I was taking the picture through a window that has beveled glass.
The day after Jacob got his license, the kids had a two hour school delay. It was most unexpected, at least by me. I hadn't checked the forecast to know that overnight temps were going to drop below freezing. It had been so warm the day before. Anyway, it was a nice surprise for all. Jacob wanted to drive to school the first day that he could and that day fell on the two hour delay day. That meant that when he left for school it was light outside. If there hadn't been a delay, he'd have left the house in darkness. I glanced out the window after he walked outside (I promise I don't hang out all day looking outside our windows!!) and thought it was cute that his neighbor friends all came out to chat with Jacob regarding his getting his license/ driving to school. His friends all drive and one of his friends, Malcolm, used to drive him to school (heaven forbid they now carpool). Anyway, pictured are Calvin, Steven, Malcolm and Jacob.

Comments
Post a Comment