Weekending*
*Mostly pictures of food though it was a pretty busy weekend for us!
Linking up with Holly and Sarah for Hello Monday:
Friday our district didn´t have school- it was a teacher work day so I knew I wouldn´t be subbing. That worked out well as I´d subbed Tuesday through Thursday and could use a break (one of the worst parts of working for me isn´t the actual work, rather, it´s that I wake up super early on my own on days that I sub- think 4:00- am so I always feel tired when I sub). I had plans to meet my brother for lunch so Friday morning after seeing Donnie off to work, I cleaned up the house a bit, ran on the treadmill, showered and headed north. My brother lives upwards of 2 1/2 hours north of us in a town off of I-75; we meet in towns along the I-75 corridor in between our two towns- Troy, Wapakoneta, Piqua, Sidney. He suggested meeting in Sidney and Mexican sounded good to both of us so we met at Sol-Azteca.
But first, candy! I wanted to get my brother a little Valentine´s Day gift- actually, it was more like I had a gift for him that I forgot to give him at Christmas so I turned it into a Valentine´s Day gift. I also decided to get him some sweets so I stopped at a store on my way to I-75 and picked up some goodies for him.
Then on to Sol-Azteca in Sydney it was. The ¨Sol¨ was doing its thing by shining but note the snow in the picture. There are still snow piles even though we´ve had a few days post snow that have gotten into the 50´s with the sun shining.
I didn´t want this picture any larger- I dislike guac and sour cream (I failed to ask for my chimichanga to be bereft of both!) and even seeing it on display in the picture is enough to turn my stomach. I pushed the offending items onto one corner of the plate and all was good!
Once home, I did some reading, laundry and then started on dinner. I made homemade pizza. It had been a long time since I made pizza and absence had definitely made the heart grow fonder! This one was salami, bacon, and red pepper. I wasn´t going to eat each much since I was still pretty full from lunch but I ended up eating more than I planned to since it was so good.
We watched the movie Nonna´s after dinner. It was pretty good but I definitely feel like A LOT of artistic license was taken as it was based on a true story yet many details seemed incredulous. Still it was cute.
Saturday morning, I ran on the treadmill and made cookies to give out later on in the day
I also made Jacob a pizza for lunch with the dough that I´d made the day before. His had yellow peppers, bacon and hot honey on it. He really liked it.
Got ready to go out for a late lunch- we ended up being gone for the next seven hours or so...
We ate at Bonefish Grill with friends. The food was good and we had a great time together. It is safe to say we were the only party of four there on Valentine´s Day (though there were some entire families there so it wasn´t just couples and us!!)
Then we went to a theater to see the movie Crime 101. I liked it better than I thought I would. I´m not a firm critic or aficionado but I thought the music was really good and I liked the cinematic style of it. The plot was good, too :). And I only had a small popcorn!! I think it´s the only time I´ve gone to the movies and only had a small popcorn.
the movie, we went to Donnie´s dad house to visit with him for a little bit and give him cookies. After that, we went to Donnie´s Uncle Doug´s house to give him cookies and visit with him. The visits were nice but it was good to be home after hours away. Had a little ice cream, crumbled up cookies and whipped cream before bed :).
Sunday morning, I woke up early and was going to run but it was raining pretty hard. When I was younger, I wouldn´t have batted an eyelash at running in the rain but it sounded really unappealing so instead I opened the 3 pound bag of Reese´s Pieces that Donnie got for me...
We went to church where we heard a great message and witnessed two baptisms and from church went straight to Sam´s Club. Donnie had to get pop for his office and we needed a couple of things. Sam´s was shockingly not busy and we enjoyed a meal at the food court area of the store. Can´t beat $4.98 lunch for two people :).
Donnie went to the UD basketball game later with his dad. Speaking of college basketball, how about Abby´s alma mater Miami of Ohio being the only undefeated D1 basketball team in the nation? I don´t think Miami is going to end up like my alma mater in football (just because there are so many more games in basketball than football) but you gotta be impressed with Miami of Ohio so far :).
When Donnie came home, we started to watch the Ben Affleck/Matt Damon movie called The Rip. My word. We stopped watching it about fifteen minutes into it. We´d heard about 58 f-bombs by that point and we were over it. The movie we saw at the theater on Saturday had some bad language but there wasn´t bad language every six words or so like there was in The Rip.















What a great weekend! Having Friday off definitely kicked it off in the right way. I love that you and your brother have lunch like this every so often. It's so important to stay connected, even with the distance, and you two do a great job of that! It was sweet of you to pass out those homemade cookies. I love that y'all went out with friends for V day. I hope you have a great day!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jenn! My brother lived 6-7 hours away from me for almost thirty years so it´s important to both of us to take advantage of being in the same state and *only* 2 1/2 hours away.
DeleteI haven't heard of Crime 101! I love how you are so deliberate about spending time with your brother. Good job on your use of the word "sol" but not liking guacamole and sour cream? Ha! Your pizza looks amazing.
ReplyDeleteI hadn´t heard of the movie either. When Donnie described it, I had super low expectations and was happy to be pleasantly surprised. Chris Hemsworth plays a good bad guy, I can say that for sure :). I thought of you when using ¨sol¨ and did verify that it meant sun (I thought it did!).
DeleteWhat a fun and festive weekend! Your pizza looks delish and I love your sweater!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Holly! About the sweater, I forgot to add that my sister has the exact same one and we both wear them on Valentine´s Day :).
DeleteSounds like a fun weekend! Love that heart sweater. I laughed at you opening your Reese's Pieces instead of going for a run!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Dara! And I wonder why I´m 10-15 pounds heavier than I was just eight years ago...
DeleteSo many things to comment....you don't like sour cream?? That has to be a typo. Who doesn't like sour cream??:) I love your sweater super cute. As are the cookies. I know you shared a lot of valentine smiles and joy this weekend! Do you take a blanket to the movies?? And running. In the rain. In the winter. Have mercy. Definitely an easy pass (for me)! Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog. It was a blessing to me this morning...and thanks for including me on your prayer list!!
ReplyDeleteSour cream is little more than thick spoiled milk in my view of it. Yuckee!! Yes, that was my festive blanket that I took to the movie. I was very proud of myself for remembering to bring it since we ate before we went to the movie (the meal was more on my mind than the movie so it would have been easy to forget to bring it!).
DeleteIt sounds like a lovely trip out to catch up with your brother. How cute that you got him some Valentine goodies. That pizza looks so good, home made is always the best. The Valentine's lunch out sounds good and the theatre trip sounds fun!
ReplyDeleteI think I would go for the Reese´s Pieces instead of going out and running in the rain. hehehe
Thanks, Kim! I know, put it that way, it doesn´t seem like there was ever really an option! The thing is, I used to run first thing in the morning ALL THE TIME no matter what was happening outside. I´ve grown soft figuratively and literally as a result, lol :).
DeleteI haven't made home made pizza in a long time, and yours looks good. We ordered pizza last night that was delicious though. Running or Reese's Pieces is an easy choice for me-ha! Guacamole is one of my favorite foods but it does seem to be one of those love it or hate it things. It's nice you can meet up with your brother now and then. I haven't heard of Crime 101 but will check it out. Have a nice week!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Joyce! The movie is rated R for violence (I closed my eyes during parts of it) and some bad language but other than that... there isn´t much bad about it. We had been on an ordering pizza kick- we have so many good options at places nearby but I was glad that I made it. I need to get more in the habit of doing that. I know, I wish I liked guac. I´m the only one in my family that does not like :(.
DeleteThe food all looks yummy. I feel like I barely took any photos this weekend. I like how you documented yours. The cookies were such a nice treat to hand out to family! I bet they loved them. That's a LOT of Reeses Pieces. I love most Reese's stuff but not those(I have a food aversion from getting sick on them once)..but I do love guac! My hubby doesn't like guac or sour cream so we usually ask for it on the side. I don't care that much either way about sour cream but it always seems like too much on Mexican dishes. I haven't heard of either of those movies. I am out of it!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Heather! I had not heard of Crime 101- I definitely recommend it if you like crime/caper movies. That´s interesting that your husband doesn´t like sour cream or guac either! Usually someone at the table I´m with is happy to have my sour cream and guac so I´m not in the habit of asking for it to be left out. I should have them put it on the side... that is a good idea!
DeleteAw, what cute little snow piles.. I can't wait until ours look like that. It sounds like you had a real lovely and delicious weekend.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Joanne! Those snow piles were cute- we have plenty that are much bigger than those :).
DeleteHi Friend,
ReplyDeleteFirst, to answer your question regarding our snow, we have not had a fresh snow fall in over four weeks. The snow in my photos is old snow .. it has been so cold, it is just a hard pack. LOL!
I love that you get together with your brother and your sister.
Have a great new week!
Carla
Thanks, Carla! Oh wow, I hope it warms up for you guys soon. It´s 51 here and will warm up to the low sixties the next two days!
DeleteWow, you don't like guac and sour cream? Those are two of my favorite things LOL. I guess we all have very different tastes. Sounds like a nice weekend.
ReplyDelete