Monthly Musings
1. Electronic more so than paper. Electronic to the extent the place where I have an appointment texts me the day or two days before to remind me :).
2. Wing it mostly with a bit of meal planning. I have a general idea of what I want to make for meals for the week but the plans aren't sacrosanct. Meals are a lot easier now that it's normally just two or three of us most dinner times. I don't stress over meals as much as I used to. In addition, I feel like I have a wider variety of really good meals to prepare which is nice.
3. If I'm subbing the following day, usually yes but not always. Our district has jeans day twice a week, so if I'm subbing on either of those two days, I know that I'm going to wear jeans. It seams that the informal "rule" on these days is to wear a spirit themed top like a sweatshirt or tee with the school's name on it. Though honestly, I see many teachers wear any type of shirt/blouse so I'm not sure they're supposed to wear spirit wear. I always do on those days in part because it means there's less choices for me :). I have less spirit wear than general tops so it's easier to pick out of one of the few pieces of spirit wear that I own.
If I'm not subbing, no, I don't plan/pick out my outfit the day before...
4. I just do laundry and iron as necessary. I don't feel like either task is super daunting and neither is super time consuming at this stage of my life.
5. We have at least five grocery stores within five miles of our house- getting to a grocery store is not time consuming and I do like to pick out my own fresh items such as fruits and vegetables. Online holds zero appeal to me!
6. My best tip is give yourself plenty of time and plan to leave at least five minutes earlier than you need to leave. That way, if you don't achieve your time out the door goal, but are close, you won't be too late! On days that I sub, I get up waaaaay earlier than I need to. If eking out every minute of sleep was more important than not being in rush in the morning, I wouldn't do that. Since it isn't, I sacrifice sleep (though I wake up before my alarm almost every day anyway...) in order to not be rushed.
7. Chicken (or shrimp) fried rice- you just make the rice, cook the eggs and the meat, add vegetables and then soy sauce (with most Asian inspired meals that I make, the sauce is a lot more complex/more ingredients. This meal is really easy since the sauce is merely soy sauce).
8. Just pick up items as you go; don't let clutter accumulate
9. I don't usually eat breakfast though sometimes I ate breakfast for lunch. I cook an egg in lots of cheese to form a patty and then put that on a toasted bagel. It's something easy to make for everyone!
10. Buy cute organizational items if the items are in budget and the time to devote to using the cute items isn't an issue :). I've bought some containers/organizers that I didn't truly need but that bring me a small measure of, not joy, but a lot of satisfaction when I see the items. Items can be as small as color coordinated file folders, bins that match your decor (or that make you smile for any other reason), cute spice rack organizers, etc.


I agree on many of your points! It's good that you have some spirit wear. I always got up 2 hours before I had to be out the door because I just needed time at home. I think you have a nice balance of home days and sub days. If I didn't have EO I would sub, I think. He still has to be crated and I don't want/can't crate him for that full school day.
ReplyDeleteWhat did you do with EO when you worked? I think you'd like subbing. Jacob's second grade teacher (she moved to fifth grade and was there for years) retired last year and is now subbing. She only subs a max of two days a week. She says she can't/won't do more than that and it's a little odd to be the sub in the room and not the teacher but there's a lot about it that she likes. She likes subbing in the middle grades like I do- students are less needy than elementary. I am up for close to two hours before I have to leave on days that I sub. It just works for me!
DeleteI hate being rushed and am always up early and plan my day so as not to be rushed (whenver possible). When the grandkids sleep over I sometimes set my alarm to be up before them, have a cup of coffee and be ready for the activity that begins immediately. My hubs is super neat. I'm not messy and can live with a bit of mess knowing it will get cleaned up later. Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteI have heard of many moms of young kids doing the same thing- setting their alarms before they know (or think!) their kids will wake up. I feel the exact same way that you do about messes!!
DeleteYes, our answers are similar! I love the idea of having cute organizational containers. It definitely helps for everything to have their place. Enjoy your day!
ReplyDeleteFor sure, Marilyn!
DeleteI like to make an egg friend rice when I need a quick meal!
ReplyDeleteIt comes together so quickly and tastes really good, too!
DeleteI use a mix of paper and digital, I do the same with appointments so I get a reminder a couple of days before.
ReplyDeleteI have found meal planning harder now my girls are older as I have to plan around if they're here for tea or not. I can't keep up some weeks.
I always leave 5 minutes earlier than I should and I'm mostly always early for everything but it doesn't bother me.
Thanks, Kim! I´m almost always early to things as well. It´s definitely how I prefer it! Agree about meal planning. It can be tricky when you don´t know who´s all going to be home for dinner!
DeleteLove this post! I always seem to miss the date for Monthly Musings so I'm going to put up a quick post in a few minutes. We have a lot of similarities in our answers.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Pamela! I´m normally on top of the MM link up. Last month I wasn´t and when I saw a bunch of MM posts, I realized I´d missed it.
DeleteBuilding in a little more time than I think I'll need is the only thing that gets me out the door on time at all! LOL I wish I could stay in bed a few minutes longer, but rushing around like a crazy person because I'm running late isn't worth it.
ReplyDeleteI have a few cute organizational things that aren't at all necessary but they are appealing enough to motivate me. Love that tip.
Hope you're having a great week!
Thanks, Kim! I´m glad I´m not the only one who does that regarding building a little more time that I think I´ll need. I´ve been surprised at how great an impact cute organizational things has on my outlook on keeping things in their place.
DeleteOur family really likes fried rice and I'm excited to make that again once we have our kitchen back. I forgot about my email inbox which is full of reminders about appointments and stuff -- I never thought of that as my "electronic planner"! And yes, I too don't really see the appeal of online shopping -- especially for produce and fruit.
ReplyDeleteCompletely agree with giving yourself more time- I always say when you are early you are actually on time!
ReplyDeleteOh, fried rice is a Good one. I will look into adding that into our meal plans. Thanks for linking up this month.
ReplyDelete