Weekending

Linking up with Holly and Sarah for Hello Monday:



Friday, I helped Abby get some things done around the house that she wanted to get done and we ran an errand. In the afternoon, Jacob and Alyssa were home and both wanted to go to the grocery store with me. The surest (most sure?) way for the kids to have food at the house that they want is to go to the grocery store with me and place items that they want in the cart! So that's what they did. We took Jacob's Jeep. He got the doors off so we could Jeep in summer style! One of our neighbors who had a Jeep gave Jacob mirrors to use for when the doors (that have mirrors attached to them) are off. 


Jeep hair don't care...


Jacob stopped to get us lemonade at a neighbor's stand.

That look when I remembered that I was carded at Kroger when I bought this cooking wine. I won't post the face I made when Jacob told me that they're supposed to card every single adult who buys alcohol or anything with alcohol in it like cooking wine. I still thought I was special here!


Abby and Alyssa had plans with Donnie's dad for dinner. Donnie, Jacob and I went to the cutest restaurant in town that we hardly ever go to... it's actually within walking distance of our house (a little over a mile but still easily walkable) but with the temps in the high eighties and the sun raging in the sky at dinnertime, we took Jacob's Jeep :).



Ok, I remembered why we don't eat here more often. The food is fine- it's just nothing spectacular. It's cute as a button inside (I would have taken more pictures but there were lots of people and I didn't want to photograph randoms) but the music was a tad too loud for my liking (#fuddyduddysorrynotsorry). 



When the girls got back, Alyssa and I went on a walk. It was still hot but it was nice to be out and moving. We relaxed the rest of the evening.


Saturday morning, I got some things done around the house including making some marinara sauce for Abby to take to TN. I had just a few small ripe tomatoes (will have at least ten large ones ripe in a few days but that didn't help me on Saturday...) so I added part of a garden cucumber and jalapeno pepper.


Then friends came over and we caravaned over to Columbus to go to a museum. Awww, look at us being all cultured and stuff. JK, it was a kids' museum. Our unculturedness remains intact :).

We came to see a Star Wars exhibit but we went to the shark exhibit as well.









There was a map of Columbus on the ground and Alyssa pointed out to us various OSU landmarks. Her dorm this past year is circled in yellow. She was so close to the football stadium...

After the museum, we walked about half a mile to a restaurant called the Goat where we had dinner.


Had a really good meal and enjoyed spending a bit more time with our friends before we drove home.



Sunday morning Abby left for Tennessee. She's ready and prepared for this chapter in her life. Proud of her but of course we'll miss her. We had almost three months with her since she graduated in May. We plan to see her in October. In the meantime, we'll face time and text and that will have to be it.

We watched church from home and then I stayed home the rest of the day until I brought Alyssa food for dinner (Donnie grilled wonderful chicken thighs) at her work. I was feeling very unpeople-y between saying good- bye to Abby and reading a non fiction book about the Holocaust and was glad for a day at home.

Comments

  1. Awww I am sure you will miss your sweet girl! Thank God for facetiming- you just reminded me that I will have that when Diana goes off to college- that will help ease some of the pain. That restaurant in your town looks adorable- sorry it was too noisy- it is pretty though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly! The restaurant is very pretty and the inside is adorable. I'll go there again but it may be a while :). Face timing is the best- you will do it with Diana a lot. For now, just keep basking in seeing that sweet face every day! (I know that you are!!).

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you had a great weekend in spite of Abby's departure looming over you. I get like that, and I almost can't enjoy something when I'm dreading something coming after. I'll never forget the weekend Noah moved; I saw all my boys together a lot that week, but I was so sad the whole time. Enough about that! I'm glad that you rallied and soaked up all the moments. I love Jacob's Jeep! How fun to go in summer mode with him. Love you, friend! Have a good Monday. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Jenn! I can see how Noah's impending move made you feel- he moved even further away than Abby just moved. It's hard when you've been so physically close to them their whole lives! But it's also normal in this day and age to move... so, there ya go! We want our kids to thrive- that is what's most important.

      Delete
  3. I haven't been to Columbus in a very long time. My oldest was born there and we only lived there one year, but we liked it a lot. After we moved away if my hubs traveled there on business I'd ask him to bring me home a cream puff from Schmidts. Not sure if it's still there, but they were the best. I'm sure your daughter will love Knoxville and I hope she enjoys her work there. These young adult years are so full of hellos and goodbyes and it's hard. I'm glad you have a plan to see her in the not too distant future. Glad you still have some of your people nearby! Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Schmidt's is still there (I just looked it up!) and it looks like a place I would love. It's in the German Village district that I've been wanting to go to- I need to make that happen! That's cool that you lived in Columbus for a year and your daughter was born there. Alyssa loves going to school there and I know of several who've gone to OSU and stayed in the Columbus area after college. Yes, so many hellos and goodbyes in these years. You sort of get whip lash, you sort of get used to it and you hope and pray they'll end up somewhat close to you! I love that your prayers got answered and one of your daughters is living close to you :).

      Delete
  4. I hate taking my girls food shopping with me, the always encourage me to buy too many treats. hehehe The jeep sounds so cool with the doors off.
    hahaha! I love getting asked for ID when I buy alcohol, I take it as such a compliment.
    Yay to the garden cucumbers!
    The museum trip sounds like fun. I'm not a big Star Wars fan but my family would have loved the exhibition.
    Good luck to Abby in the next chapter of her life. I hope she settles in well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! So far so good with Abby for which I'm thankful. That's how I am about Star Wars- not a huge fan but the others are and I like to see their excitement. All I've been doing this summer is buying JUNK for the kids at the store!! They're killing my grocery bill but it's only for a season, right??

      Delete
  5. Hi, sending you a HUG!!
    Do keep us updated on Abby's next chapter. I will be praying for her as she starts this exciting time in her life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous weekend; that museum sounds like a lot of fun. I am sure Abby is well prepared and both anxious and excited to be onto this next leg of her journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Joanne- that is a very accurate description of Abby's emotions during the time before she left. So far so good though it's only been a day, lol!

      Delete
  7. The jeep looks so fun, and it looks like you had lots of great family time this weekend. What an exciting and new phase for Abby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya! It is an exciting phase for Abby it was a good last weekend for us :).

      Delete
  8. I hope all goes well for Abby! I had no idea Kroger carded people for cooking wine :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice weekend and how fun to take all the kids to the store like the good ol' days! I used to be able to keep mine content with a small bag of Cheetos each in the race car cart!
    My sister used to work at COSI. It's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes! I told Mason he’s definitely going shopping with me next time because he can never think of anything he wants before I go shopping. But once I get home? He has a list! Lol. It looks like a really great weekend with lots of family time and that makes my heart so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts