Weekending
I'll back up to Thursday since some of what happened then impacted the rest of the weekend. I had a load of laundry going and when it was almost complete, I noticed that there was smoke coming out of it! (Yes, I had to notice this with my eyes as I did not smell the smoke due to my sense of smell diminution.) I took a video and picture of the smoke, thinking I may need to show a repair technician. The smoke must have clouded my thinking, however. Why on earth would I need to prove that I saw smoke or how would seeing a video of smoke coming out of the washing machine help? I mean, just saying that I saw smoke coming out of the machine should be enough to trigger a repairman knowing generally where to look for a problem.
Anyway, that's why I have a video and pictures on my phone of it, lol. I didn't take them for blog fodder!
As it turns out, I did a bit of research on repairs and costs and determined that we should probably get a new washing machine. Our washing machine and dryer are seventeen years old; they've exceeded their expected life spans. I called Donnie at work and he agreed with my analysis that we should get a new pair (our dryer seemed to have something wrong with it as well. The laundry room would get super hot whenever the dryer was on (no smoke/fire, though). So my day shifted to (online) washing/dryer shopping. (The idea to in person shop did not occur to me for a minute- pictures online would suffice to know what a set looked like and I could read about the functions and price. etc.)
My mind was blown when I realized that there are machines that wash and dry clothes in one unit! As in, the machine washes clothes and then it dries them. Whaaaat??? The drawback is that you can't stagger doing multiple loads. That's not a huge issue for us as our years of having kids live with us (if just for seasons at a time) are numbered. With two of us in the house most of the time, we don't have urgent. multiple loads needing to get done needs. And I thought of how I'd fill the space where the dryer would be (with either a combo refrigerator/freezer or just another freezer.)
You also don't save any money if you buy one of these combos. They cost about $2000. So you're really only saving space... We decided to not get one. The concept is a little too bizarre (not to mention some of the reviews were really bad saying that drying took way longer and some of the machines didn't seem reliable. Though many reviews were pretty positive...).
I wanted this GE Sapphire set so badly...really just because of the color (and the sale!). Alas, it couldn't be delivered until well into next week. I gave up on my sapphire dreams in the order of expediency.
Ultimately, the biggest consideration was what could be delivered the quickest. I found a place that could deliver a set the next day so we had a winner! Unfortunately, the pedestals are on backorder. But the sales guy told me they could install the washer and dryer and come back to install the pedestals. He actually tried to talk me into not buying the pedestals. I was like, NO! I need space for our stuff! (#notminimalists) We use the pedestal under the washing machine for laundry detergent and sunscreen and the one under the dryer to store our hats and gloves (the door to the laundry room leads to the garage so it makes sense to store outdoorsy items there).
On Friday, the washer and dryer were delivered. Awww, I was a bit maudlin about saying goodbye to our washer and dryer. Thinking about all the kids' clothes and items that had gotten washed and dried over the years in the machines made me nostalgic. The lyrics to Landslide kept getting stuck in my head... I am afraid of some changes but I'm also afraid of smoke coming out of the washing machine so I think I'll be able to handle the change of having a new washing machine.
Also, I thought I'd arrived when I owned a washing machine with "fancy" settings like hand wash (ironic but whatever!) and sanitize.
Actually, when gazing at one of the last times that I would on our defective washing machine, it made me realize that I never checked to see what bells and whistles the machine I just bought had. I didn't read much of anything about it except when it could be delivered. (I was super relieved when my new one arrived and it has plenty of specialty settings.)
Almost as soon as the new washing machine and dryer were installed on Friday, Abby (who wasn't working that day) and I headed out. We went to visit a relative who's recuperating from surgery in a rehabilitation facility. We had a nice visit and went straight from there to Aldi where we just about bought out the store! We were low on everything.
Not long after we got home, Donnie arrived home and it was time to head out again, this time to a grad party. Four families had the party together for their sons at a neat country venue. The moms did an amazing job with decor, pictures and food. We would have stayed longer but we weren't done running around for the evening. (I would have taken more pics of the amazing decor but there were lots of people there and I didn't want to take pics with rando people in them!)
That's Alyssa giving the grad boy a Benny-esque hug back when they were graduating from preschool together (he had a summer birthday so his parents didn't have him start KG when he could which is why he graduated high school a year after Alyssa.)
We had to make it to the place where we buy our steaks from before they closed at 8:00. We were having friends over on Saturday evening for a cook out. Donnie was planning on running an hours long errand with Jacob on Saturday so his time would be limited on Saturday. We got steaks, went home, relaxed a little and went to bed.
Saturday, I ran, weeded, and made some items for the meal we were having and put the house back in order from the piles that I had from clearing out the laundry room.
The recent rains have enabled our area to retain its lush, verdant, aesthetic vibe- zero complaints from me! Weeds and productive plants alike are the beneficiaries of the rain; muddy ground is a necessary by product of the rain and I won't complain about that either. I love my garden clogs for when I need to weed.
And of course I love the baby 'mateys.
And baby bell peppers.
Back inside the house- these are the items that were in one of the pedestals from our old washer and dryer set. See how I would not want to be pedestal free??
These are the items that had fallen in the back of the washing machine!! A car review mirror, a bag of potato chips (circa 2022), an ugly sweater cookie kit and foam cups among other things. Above our washing machine are a set of cabinets that we refer to as "the overflow." The overflow holds extra food pantry items. When the overflow cabinets get full(!), the top of the washing machine acts as another overflow area! (#notminimalists!). Some of the things on top of the washing machine fall behind it. Ergo this eclectic mix of items...
Two sets of friends came over with their daughters around dinnertime. We had a great time with our friends. Donnie grilled delicious steaks and we had a wonderful dinner.

Breakfast Sunday morning- I don't eat breakfast most mornings but when I do, something sweet is almost always on the plate :).

























I spy that pretty white shirt on you! I love seeing how much y'all entertain with family and friends on your patio, which is such a great space. I'm so glad your sister will be with you for a few days and hope she is doing well. The place where one of my daughter's rents has the combo washer/dryer. I don't think I could go that route either. Enjoy all those nice new features on your washer and dryer. Happy Monday friend!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Marilyn! You know after being so concerned about getting a machine delivered right away, we still haven't used it! Though that will change TODAY when I plan to do several loads. Thanks about the shirt! The blue shirt that I have on in the picture with my sister is also one that I bought at the consignment shop for super cheap :).
DeleteYay for your sister visit! The Airbnb in England had one of those and the wash/dry took sooooo long and I didn't feel that my clothes had gotten clean.
ReplyDeleteYeah, most of the negative comments focused on the length of the dry time. And then when you factor in that you can't start another load until one load is completely washed and dried... it didn't seem like a good idea. But man, I wanted a "free" spot in the laundry room for another appliance.
DeleteWhat a fun weekend besides the washer/dryer! Yeah for your sister being there- have a blast- you both look wonderful :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Holly! You're so sweet :).
DeleteLooks like a fun weekend. Enjoy your new washer.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I did a load of laundry today and give the machine an A+ :).
DeleteI hate having to buy new appliances. We got a nice set of Siemens in '05 and the dryer gave out in probably '17, so we got a very basic top loader. Then, when we moved, the new laundry room didn't have enough space and we needed to get new front loading. I am not particularly fond of them. But we've had them for only 7 years and the dryer already has a loose belt and like you said, cost to repair isn't worth it. I'm going to use it until it conks out and then see from there.
ReplyDeleteSounds like an overall enjoyable weekend. We also went to a grad party and I did take photos but didn't post. It was nice to just be in the moment, actually, but they too have a Nothing Bundt cake! And nice decor.
Appliances are a pain- we put some money into the dryer several years ago. It needed a new drum or something expensive like that. But the washing machine was fine so we paid to have it repaired. At the age the appliances are now, it definitely did not make sense to pay to repair. I hope your set last you a few more years at least...
Delete*had a. I can't type apparently.
ReplyDeleteExciting to get new appliances! Overall, a fun weekend! your sister looks a lot like you!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Dara! I think we look quite a lot alike as well!
DeleteYikes about the smoke! I'm glad you were home to catch that. This is why we shouldn't leave appliances running when we leave; I am so bad about doing that! I'm going to stop after reading this post. I love the new washer/dryer and pedestals! You had a full weekend, my friend. Sister time is the very best! Enjoy every second!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jennifer! It was a full weekend but a good one. And yes, sister time is the best. I know you're looking forward to your trip later this summer to see your sister :).
DeleteEek to the washing machine smoking but 17 years is great going for a washing machine, it served you well. I have thought about buying a washing machine and dryer in one but my thinking has always been I can be on with washing a load and drying a load at the same time. I think when it is just my fella and I we will go for a combo to save space if we can find one with good reviews, I've heard they take ages to do the drying.
ReplyDeleteThe grad party sounds lovely! I wish they were a thing over here but not much of a big deal is made. Hmmf.
Good job to Donnie with the steaks! They look delicious!
Have a lovely time with your sister.
Thanks, Kim! I thought that 17 years was pretty good as well! Yes, the combo seems to have mixed reviews. Some people love them but several mentioned how much time the entire process took and then you're stuck not being able to even start another load. For sure I think a combo would work well for two people. About graduation, my sister lives in Canada and it's the same way as it is for you guy- HS graduation is not that big of a deal.
DeleteI love your outdoor room - did you add that or was it already there? We're building a house in the Hudson Valley and I need to put together an outdoor room plan!
ReplyDeleteOh, wow- the Hudson Valley is so pretty! I'm sure your house will turn out amazing. We recently added the outdoor patio. We had just a standard deck with no covering. The backyard faces the west and the sun in the back made being out back miserable in the summer. My husband had the vision for the space and found a contractor who made it happen exactly how he wanted it.
DeleteI love the scalloped shorts! Sorry about the machine, but it's lucky you caught it. When I was in highschool I was home sick one day (alone) and the dishwasher caught fire (mostly smoke) and that has stayed with me so i never leave mine running when I'm out. That sapphire blue is pretty and would definitely go in my laundry room. I have the gray which is fine. My mom is in town so I'm at my sister's house right now. Sisters are the best !! Enjoy your week!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Joyce- That's so neat that you're at you sister's house- I like all of our life parallels :). It must have been so scary to see smoke in your kitchen as a teenager. For sure that would be life scarring and would impact the decision to leave appliances running when not in the house. I hope you're having or you've had a good time with your mom and sister!
DeleteGolly me oh my, that washing machine and dryer story. And I had to smile at the song Landslide ... I get that way too. xo
ReplyDeleteHappy week... enjoy your sister time.
Carla
Thanks, Carla! I'm glad that I'm not the only one who's like that :).
DeleteThat looks like my kind of breakfast! YUM. Glad you noticed the smoke coming out of your washer; that's crazy! It looks like a pretty new set though. It sounds like a fun weekend once you got that settled.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Joanne! It was a good weekend once that was settled. I'm glad that the washing machine had given us no problems for 17 years. We'd had the dryer repaired twice. They just don't make them like they used to...
Delete17 years is a long lifespan for appliances these days! I definitely would not go for a combo w/dryer! I saw something that reminded me of the dryer we had in England, so I looked it up online. It is a "ventless" dryer, which is also called a condensation dryer. We had that, and you empty a water reservoir as the water is pulled out of the clothes. You know that warm, fluffy, fresh-from-the-dryer feeling we are used to? You never, ever get it with the condensation dryer. It basically comes out damp. Ok, enough ranting! Your patio looks so fun...best investment ever.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Tanya! Yikes- that does not sound like an ideal laundry situation! I can see how the combo would be all right for a very small space. But as long as space is not an issue, I can't think of why anyone would want a combo. Thanks about the patio- I am surprised but in a good way about how much we use it and like it!
Delete