Hodpgepodge

Linking up with Joyce for the Hodgepodge




From this Side of the Pond

1. Let's compare this May to last May. What's changed? What remains very much the same? 

I am walking without a boot this year! How wonderful to walk unencumbered. Of course I was happy to get in the boot when that happened last year because it meant that I was out of the cast. What we're happy with is always relative....

Last year at this time, Alyssa was still in high school, though graduation was imminent. It's strange to think she was in high school last year at this time when she has currently completed her first year of college.

Since her high school grad party was on June 1st, May was the month that I spent a lot of time preparing photo items to display at her party. This May, Abby will graduate from college. We will have a much smaller college graduation get together. Preparation will take some time but not nearly as much time as preparing for Alyssa's HS grad party last year.


2. What's something you may do this month? 

I may see my sister. It's doubtful but it's a possibility.



3. Mother's Day is approaching (in the US of A)...in what way(s) are you like your mother? 

I think my personality is quite similar to my mom's. Though my mom had more patience than I do and her disposition was more cheerful than mine is. (Though maybe I'm being hard on myself and seeing her through rose tinted glasses??) I got my love of reading from my mom.  My mom enjoyed baking and gardening as do I. My mom was conservative politically and we discussed politics/ current events  as a family. I guess I can "blame" my mom for my interest in politics (shew, life would be easier to not care about it at all!!)  Most of all, she was a faithful Christian. I am both of those things (conservative politically and a Christian) as well. My mom's faith was tested more than mine has been (so far) with a lot of adversity in her adulthood including her husband losing a good paying job early on in their marriage and only being able to find a low paying job resulting in financial hardship until the day(s) that both of them died, having a three year old child being diagnosed with a debilitating disease, and then loosing her husband with five kids ranging in ages from 11-17.  I *got* to see firsthand how someone remains faithful during trying times.  

Not the best photo of me but I love my mom's smile in this picture- I think it depicts her sweet disposition- and Donnie looks really handsome so I'm using it :). 



My mom and I at the swearing in ceremony in Indianapolis after Donnie and I passed the Indiana bar. My mom was tickled pink that one of her kids was a lawyer (that I never practiced law, potato, potato).

 
Our wedding cake that my mom (and I!) baked and decorated. (She did all of the decorating...).





4. Did you have a favorite book as a child? What was it and why was it a favorite. 

I don't recall having a favorite book but I loved the books in the Boxcar series. 

5. Are you more of a tortoise or a hare? Explain. 

I don't know that I am more of one than the other. I do think in general that having perseverance, as exemplified by the tortoise, is a great quality to have. There have been examples in my life when I've been more tortoise like and there are times that I've been more hare like.  

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

It's teacher appreciation week at school. Though I'm not a teacher, I still partook of some of the goodies in the teachers' lounge on Tuesday (staff at the school encouraged me to; I didn't presume being included in teachers' treats 😏). I got to leave early on Tuesday due to being a floating sub and not needing to float anywhere at the end of the day. Definitely the best treat of the day (the muffin pictured above looked better than it tasted, unfortunately).

Comments

  1. I would have such a hard time just picking one favorite book from childhood; I'm sure I had a few favorites each and every year and I began reading when I was pretty young too. Books were always my escape! I do remember reading all the Babysitter's club books, Heidi, The Secret Garden, and Sweet Valley High over and over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see a place for a new comment so jumping on Joanne's. Yes to The Boxcar Children. I am sorry you lost your mom so young. She sounds like a tough lady and it's great that you got so many of her good qualitites.

      Delete
    2. Books were my escape, too! I couldn't think of all the series that I enjoyed as a child but I know that I loved the Boxcar Children series!

      Delete
  2. It must have been so good to be in the boot after the cast. It sounds like the biggest changes have been for Alyssa. Congrats to her for completing her first year of college.
    I hope you do get to see your sister.
    Your mom sounds like a wonderful lady. It sounds like she had a really challenging life but so lovely to see her smiling. Beautiful!
    How lovely that you were included in the treats for the teachers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! My mom was very sweet and patient in spite of some very real adversities- she was a great example to me. I think her smile was beautiful as well :). Alyssa's year has changed SO much! It's bittersweet to think she was our little girl living at home last year at this time and now she's been on her own (sort of!) for an entire school year!

      Delete
  3. I love that picture of you with your Mom and Donnie! He hasn't changed that much, and honestly, neither have you. I enjoyed reading about your Mom and all that she had to overcome. It sounds like you got all of her positive traits. It's interesting to look back from one month in the year to the same time one year prior; I am glad you're healed and that you're able to get around so well! I felt terrible for you when that happened last year, but you never really seemed to let it keep you down for too long. I hope you have a great day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! I think you win the "prize" (such as it is) for the life most changed in a year. Absolutely unbelievable how much you lost- but you seem like you're in as good a place as could be given what life threw at you last year. Your steadfast faith reminds me of my mom even though you face different difficulties. Love following along on your journey and all of your adventures!

      Delete
  4. Oh I forgot about the Boxcar series! I loved those too; I was definitely into survival type things as a kid. That's awesome you have those memories of your mom, even if they were built on adversity. My husband's mom died when he was 16 and while the end wasn't great, he often speaks about how he remembers her, and she sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were some good books! That's neat that you liked them as well. I do have good memories of my mom which I cherish. I'm sorry your husband lost his mom at such a young age.

      Delete
  5. You haven't aged at all! At least not in your pictures : ) I see where your baking skills come from too. It sounds like your mom was a wonderful example about persevering through hard things. Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce! Yeah, pictures don't always reveal everything!! (lol, not that I have ever "doctored" a photo but sometimes it's hard to see detail (which is a good thing!!)) My home was a really good baker and cake decorator. She worked in a bakery and learned how to bake and make create beautiful cakes.

      Delete
  6. Haha, there was food out at the school where I sub too so I had to grab some even though I'm not one of the real teachers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know when I sub for a teacher during teacher appreciation week, I don't feel guilty taking something because I'm subbing as a teacher and taking the teacher's place in getting a goodie. (As in, the teacher you are subbing for will not be getting the treat since he or she is not there.) But I felt a little odd to take something when I was floating as a sub since I was not taking anyone's place. But when the secretary "told" me to get a treat, who was I to refuse, lol?

      Delete
  7. Hey subs are teachers too and you deserve some JOY! Love the photos with your mom- I think you have patience and bring joy to everyone around you- even your blogging friends :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly! I try to be an encourager- it's fairly easy to do that with friends in real life and on the internet whom I have admiration for. It's easy to say uplifting, truthful things that hopefully brings joy to others :).

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed the photos and the story about your family, all though difficult, it is the lessons in the long run that make us stronger, even if we do not know it at the time.
    My dad lost his dad at age 15 ... he fell of a horse and broke his neck, right in front of my dad. My dad held all this in while I was young, just recently he has been talking about it.
    I like the Boxcar series too.
    Happy Mother's Day,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carla- what a tragedy for your husband to endure at a young age. I'm glad he's talking about it now.

      Delete
  9. Your mom looks so sweet and kind!! Wow - she did have a lot of adversity in her life. I imagine her faith helped her through those times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! She was a truly sweet person and her faith helped her. I can't help but think she wondered, why me, a multitude of times. However, her faith remained strong.

      Delete
  10. I loved seeing the pictures with your mom and hearing about her strong character. What an inspiration! Amy's right... you and Donnie haven't changed much. And I was just thinking back this time last year - college graduation and it feels like so much has changed since then. Hope you're having a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya! My mom did have strong character with strong beliefs yet she was gentle and sweet as well. I have less of the latter but I am a work in progress! Grace has had a lot of changes since she graduated- looking forward to hearing all of your recaps :).

      Delete
  11. Sweet memories of your mom and nice similarities you have with her. Hooray for a bootless May! Lovely photo of the three of you! Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen! I am so thankful to be out of that boot... Happy Mother's Day to you as well!

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful mom! What a strong woman she was and a legacy of inspiration she left. I'm so glad you've made it so far in your recovery from your injury last year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn! She was beautiful on the inside and out, that's for sure. I have made it pretty far and am still improving- long healing process but I need to focus on the healing part and how far I've come.

      Delete
  13. Loved your answers and I think that pic is great of you..a beautiful smile. Your cake was stunning. Great job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts