A Chick- fil- A kind of Thanksgiving Day
We hosted Thanksgiving this year for the first time. So naturally I served our guests Chick-fil-A for Thanksgiving dinner. That's completely normal, right??
I suppose it's pretty abnormal, truth be told, for not the least reason that CFA was closed on Thanksgiving which means I served day old Chick-fil-A.
Here's how our non traditional Thanksgiving Day unfolded:
I volunteered to host Thanksgiving (after I volunteered my brother Joe to host it and then felt guilty that I'd volunteered him). However, it makes more sense for our Canadian- American family (Katy and Scott and girls) to celebrate Thanksgiving on Friday. Here's why: Canada doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving on the same day that we do. That means that our Thanksgiving is a regular school/ work day in Canada. By our family celebrating Thanksgiving on Friday rather than Thursday, that allowed Katy and Scott to use Thursday as a travel day. If we had our Thanksgiving meal on Thursday, Katy and Scott would have driven to our house on Wednesday. If they did that, they'd have missed an extra day of work/ school. So, we turned the day that we ate the traditional Thanksgiving meal into Friday.
That left us with the dilemma of what to eat on Thanksgiving Day. My brother John was driving to our house on Thursday and would arrive at our house around dinner time. Katy and Scott originally thought they would arrive around dinner time. I needed a meal plan for Thursday. I decided on pork tenderloin; I'd found and tried an easy recipe a few weeks ago. Then Donnie suggested something marvelous- that I not cook on Thanksgiving and that we get Chick-fil-A instead.
On Wednesday, I ordered a cold (but cooked, obviously) tray of Chick-fil-A nuggets and picked it up. The instructions said to heat up the nuggets and consume them within 24 hours of getting the tray. We missed that mark by a couple of hours- we ate them about 26 hours after getting the tray- but they tasted standard.
On Thursday (Thanksgiving), Donnie had the day off work. It was the kids' second day of break. They'd not worked on their rooms on Wednesday so they had the task of completely cleaning their rooms. The gym where Donnie works out was open until noon so Donnie was able to get a work out in. I made two pumpkin pies for the next day and one treat for the evening's meal. I made caramel pecan brownies. I don't make this treat often (they're kind of a PITB to make); the infrequency of my making them definitely increases the level of appreciation for them when they are in the house. I made homemade caramel sauce for the caramel layer which I'd not done before but which I plan on doing henceforth and forevermore when I make them.
We invited Donnie's Uncle Doug over for our non- traditional Thanksgiving meal. Doug is a good sport about whatever I serve. Still, he was likely relieved to hear that I couldn't mess up the main entrée for the meal (short of burning the nuggets, I suppose). He also loves caramel pecan brownies so I was doubly glad that I made a double batch of them. John arrived close to dinner time so we all sat down to eat. Katy and Scott made better time on the road than they thought they would and arrived before we were finished eating.
We had an enjoyable, highly caloric (there's a connection to a traditional Thanksgiving meal) meal on Thanksgiving.
Here are just a few pictures from Thanksgiving Day:
Not the table at which we ate on Thursday- this is a picture of our dining room table which I set on Thursday for Friday.
Caramel pecan brownies- You'll notice that some have powered sugar on top and some don't. Some have a very small amount of powered sugar on them. The latter is a key. Let me explain. Jacob and Alyssa HATE powered sugar. Their disdain of it makes no sense but it is, proverbially, what it is. So I didn't add powered sugar to all of them. Jacob also hates, to the same if not greater level of hatred he has for powered sugar, pecans. Because of that, I made a portion of the brownies pecan- free. But, when cutting the brownies, it was impossible to know if an errant pecan had infiltrated Jacob's pecan free portion of the brownies. So, I added a tiny amount of powered sugar to the pecan less brownies that bordered the pecaned portion of the brownies as s sort of a warning that the possibility of a pecan in the brownie was high. If the brownies have a good amount of powered sugar on them (like the ones in the middle in the picture below) then they have pecans in them. I know that Jacob won't eat a heavily powered sugared brownie so I go nuts (pun intended) with the pecans in the brownie section that I will place powered sugar on.
Some of us did have turkey on Thanksgiving- deli turkey for lunch :).
We kept it classy and ate our Thanksgiving meal on Styrofoam plates, complete with paper napkins and plastic forks. I made a pasta salad from a box mix and corn flake potato casserole in keeping with the classy theme :). It all tasted GOOD which was the main thing!!
We {heart} Chick-fil-A
I suppose it's pretty abnormal, truth be told, for not the least reason that CFA was closed on Thanksgiving which means I served day old Chick-fil-A.
Here's how our non traditional Thanksgiving Day unfolded:
I volunteered to host Thanksgiving (after I volunteered my brother Joe to host it and then felt guilty that I'd volunteered him). However, it makes more sense for our Canadian- American family (Katy and Scott and girls) to celebrate Thanksgiving on Friday. Here's why: Canada doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving on the same day that we do. That means that our Thanksgiving is a regular school/ work day in Canada. By our family celebrating Thanksgiving on Friday rather than Thursday, that allowed Katy and Scott to use Thursday as a travel day. If we had our Thanksgiving meal on Thursday, Katy and Scott would have driven to our house on Wednesday. If they did that, they'd have missed an extra day of work/ school. So, we turned the day that we ate the traditional Thanksgiving meal into Friday.
That left us with the dilemma of what to eat on Thanksgiving Day. My brother John was driving to our house on Thursday and would arrive at our house around dinner time. Katy and Scott originally thought they would arrive around dinner time. I needed a meal plan for Thursday. I decided on pork tenderloin; I'd found and tried an easy recipe a few weeks ago. Then Donnie suggested something marvelous- that I not cook on Thanksgiving and that we get Chick-fil-A instead.
On Wednesday, I ordered a cold (but cooked, obviously) tray of Chick-fil-A nuggets and picked it up. The instructions said to heat up the nuggets and consume them within 24 hours of getting the tray. We missed that mark by a couple of hours- we ate them about 26 hours after getting the tray- but they tasted standard.
On Thursday (Thanksgiving), Donnie had the day off work. It was the kids' second day of break. They'd not worked on their rooms on Wednesday so they had the task of completely cleaning their rooms. The gym where Donnie works out was open until noon so Donnie was able to get a work out in. I made two pumpkin pies for the next day and one treat for the evening's meal. I made caramel pecan brownies. I don't make this treat often (they're kind of a PITB to make); the infrequency of my making them definitely increases the level of appreciation for them when they are in the house. I made homemade caramel sauce for the caramel layer which I'd not done before but which I plan on doing henceforth and forevermore when I make them.
We invited Donnie's Uncle Doug over for our non- traditional Thanksgiving meal. Doug is a good sport about whatever I serve. Still, he was likely relieved to hear that I couldn't mess up the main entrée for the meal (short of burning the nuggets, I suppose). He also loves caramel pecan brownies so I was doubly glad that I made a double batch of them. John arrived close to dinner time so we all sat down to eat. Katy and Scott made better time on the road than they thought they would and arrived before we were finished eating.
We had an enjoyable, highly caloric (there's a connection to a traditional Thanksgiving meal) meal on Thanksgiving.
Here are just a few pictures from Thanksgiving Day:
Not the table at which we ate on Thursday- this is a picture of our dining room table which I set on Thursday for Friday.
Caramel pecan brownies- You'll notice that some have powered sugar on top and some don't. Some have a very small amount of powered sugar on them. The latter is a key. Let me explain. Jacob and Alyssa HATE powered sugar. Their disdain of it makes no sense but it is, proverbially, what it is. So I didn't add powered sugar to all of them. Jacob also hates, to the same if not greater level of hatred he has for powered sugar, pecans. Because of that, I made a portion of the brownies pecan- free. But, when cutting the brownies, it was impossible to know if an errant pecan had infiltrated Jacob's pecan free portion of the brownies. So, I added a tiny amount of powered sugar to the pecan less brownies that bordered the pecaned portion of the brownies as s sort of a warning that the possibility of a pecan in the brownie was high. If the brownies have a good amount of powered sugar on them (like the ones in the middle in the picture below) then they have pecans in them. I know that Jacob won't eat a heavily powered sugared brownie so I go nuts (pun intended) with the pecans in the brownie section that I will place powered sugar on.
Some of us did have turkey on Thanksgiving- deli turkey for lunch :).
We kept it classy and ate our Thanksgiving meal on Styrofoam plates, complete with paper napkins and plastic forks. I made a pasta salad from a box mix and corn flake potato casserole in keeping with the classy theme :). It all tasted GOOD which was the main thing!!
We {heart} Chick-fil-A

Comments
Post a Comment