And so this was Christmas...
Christmas morning came way too early this year. I don't mean the day came too early- I mean physically getting out of bed to start the day seemed way too early. Donnie and I had been up late on Christmas Eve doing last minute Christmas preparatory odds and ends. Then I stayed up even later with Jacob on Christmas Eve watching Netflix with him (The Office- we just finished season 3 (or 4?). I can't believe how hysterical that show can be- even the second time seeing the episodes).
We had to get up fairly early Christmas morning to see Jacob off since he was LEAVING US to go to Florida for a week with his friend AJ. AJ's dad invited Jacob to go to Florida with them (specifically Walt Disney World) months ago. When AJ's dad invited Jacob to go with them, he told me that they would fly out on Christmas Day. I guess I couldn't fathom Jacob leaving early on Christmas so I (mistakenly) told myself they'd fly out Christmas evening or something. When Brian contacted me with the flight he had booked for his family and wanted me to book for Jacob, I was disheartened to see that the flight left late morning out of Dayton. Brian wanted to leave a little before 9:00 am for the airport so we either had to 1) get up super, duper early to spend quality time with Jacob on Christmas before he left or 2) let him and us get more sleep but then be rushed to get him out the door. I think we kind of compromised by getting up earlier than we wanted but not incredibly early. Jacob opened his presents from us, finished packing up his stuff/ last minute checks on items packed, etc. and then I walked him down to AJ's house where Jacob would leave with AJ's family for Disney.
The girls then opened their presents. They loved everything that they received- so much Star Wars theme items- costumes, cos-play items, a wig, puzzles, video games, pj's, etc and a few non Star Wars items (that I picked out :)). The girls (and Donnie in between getting- ready- for- guest tasks) took advantage of Jacob's absence (it did not take them long!) by playing a Star Wars PS4 game that Donnie got them. I worked on making a few items for our Christmas get together with family who was to come over early afternoon.
We had a nice time with extended family when they came over. Everyone brought food to share; and what good food it was- shrimp cocktail, meatballs, cheese dip, fruit, pecan bars, cheesy potatoes, rolls, corn casserole, turkey, Cheesecake Factory cheesecake and more!! I think everyone was pretty much stuffed before we sat down to actually eat (that happens every year :)).
After eating, we opened more presents and visited some more before everyone left. Donnie and I were so tired that we both laid down on the couch and FELL ASLEEP. I am not a napper by nature and am quite positive the last time that I napped on Christmas day was when I was still a baby/ toddler who regularly took daytime naps. Donnie spent part of the evening playing Star Wars on the PlayStation with the girls. I downloaded a book for my Kindle and read well into the night (I knew that I wouldn't be able to sleep well after having napped and consumed large quantities of caffeine).
Christmas morning before Jacob left...
Not Ugg boots- just an Ugg boot box with non- Ugg boot items in it
We didn't get Jacob too many presents. Letting him go to Disney with AJ/ paying for the trip was Jacob's "big gift." I'm pretty certain that he'll long forget any and all items that he received for Christmas this year (unless he develops an affinity for looking at pictures to help his memory) but he'll never forget the trip to Florida.
I asked the kids to pose before Jacob left the house..
Alyssa, her presents, and her baby doll named Her
The complete set of Chucky movies. You can bet that I didn't get that for Alyssa...
The girls are excited about watching the movies. The girls have seen some of the movies and pretend that Alyssa's doll Her is Chucky. Her is not Chucky!!
So much yummy food...
...and pretty dishes
Mark and Cindy got me a hostess gift for hosting two get togethers- it wasn't that much work to do two of them since I was already doing one of them, if that makes sense. But, I appreciated the gift.
..a winter cactus
The hot cocoa bar that no one utilized :(
The dining room table...
The girls dressed as Star Wars characters playing a SW PlayStation game
Someone received a compost bin!!
Mark took several of the next pictures (which I appreciate...). In this picture, I look like I'm in a drunken stupor/ in need of immediate medical attention. Reality doesn't match the picture, thank goodness. I'm bent over to assemble the pieces of my compost bin.
Peek- a- compost bin!!
An awkward picture of my bin and me
While I love my new bin (I asked for it, btw. It's not something one would buy as a Christmas gift for someone without the recipient requesting it :)), I now feel pressure to actually produce something meaningful from it. Donnie's family (and my immediate family) reacted tepidly to the idea that this is going to be something worthwhile. I need to prove that it is!!
The kids (/ mommy) received a huge box of Jelly Belly jelly beans.
We had to get up fairly early Christmas morning to see Jacob off since he was LEAVING US to go to Florida for a week with his friend AJ. AJ's dad invited Jacob to go to Florida with them (specifically Walt Disney World) months ago. When AJ's dad invited Jacob to go with them, he told me that they would fly out on Christmas Day. I guess I couldn't fathom Jacob leaving early on Christmas so I (mistakenly) told myself they'd fly out Christmas evening or something. When Brian contacted me with the flight he had booked for his family and wanted me to book for Jacob, I was disheartened to see that the flight left late morning out of Dayton. Brian wanted to leave a little before 9:00 am for the airport so we either had to 1) get up super, duper early to spend quality time with Jacob on Christmas before he left or 2) let him and us get more sleep but then be rushed to get him out the door. I think we kind of compromised by getting up earlier than we wanted but not incredibly early. Jacob opened his presents from us, finished packing up his stuff/ last minute checks on items packed, etc. and then I walked him down to AJ's house where Jacob would leave with AJ's family for Disney.
The girls then opened their presents. They loved everything that they received- so much Star Wars theme items- costumes, cos-play items, a wig, puzzles, video games, pj's, etc and a few non Star Wars items (that I picked out :)). The girls (and Donnie in between getting- ready- for- guest tasks) took advantage of Jacob's absence (it did not take them long!) by playing a Star Wars PS4 game that Donnie got them. I worked on making a few items for our Christmas get together with family who was to come over early afternoon.
We had a nice time with extended family when they came over. Everyone brought food to share; and what good food it was- shrimp cocktail, meatballs, cheese dip, fruit, pecan bars, cheesy potatoes, rolls, corn casserole, turkey, Cheesecake Factory cheesecake and more!! I think everyone was pretty much stuffed before we sat down to actually eat (that happens every year :)).
After eating, we opened more presents and visited some more before everyone left. Donnie and I were so tired that we both laid down on the couch and FELL ASLEEP. I am not a napper by nature and am quite positive the last time that I napped on Christmas day was when I was still a baby/ toddler who regularly took daytime naps. Donnie spent part of the evening playing Star Wars on the PlayStation with the girls. I downloaded a book for my Kindle and read well into the night (I knew that I wouldn't be able to sleep well after having napped and consumed large quantities of caffeine).
Christmas morning before Jacob left...
Not Ugg boots- just an Ugg boot box with non- Ugg boot items in it
We didn't get Jacob too many presents. Letting him go to Disney with AJ/ paying for the trip was Jacob's "big gift." I'm pretty certain that he'll long forget any and all items that he received for Christmas this year (unless he develops an affinity for looking at pictures to help his memory) but he'll never forget the trip to Florida.
I asked the kids to pose before Jacob left the house..
Alyssa, her presents, and her baby doll named Her
Abby's gifts
One of the few items that I bought for her (she got tons of Star Wars stuff which is Donnie's purview)
The complete set of Chucky movies. You can bet that I didn't get that for Alyssa...
The girls are excited about watching the movies. The girls have seen some of the movies and pretend that Alyssa's doll Her is Chucky. Her is not Chucky!!
A Padme outfit
A Rey outfit from the latest SW movie
Abby got Alyssa a cute necklace with an inscription that references sisters. Later, Alyssa told me that it was her favorite gift that she received because it came from her sister.
So much yummy food...
...and pretty dishes
Mark and Cindy got me a hostess gift for hosting two get togethers- it wasn't that much work to do two of them since I was already doing one of them, if that makes sense. But, I appreciated the gift.
..a winter cactus
The hot cocoa bar that no one utilized :(
I love to get my kitchen and dining room tables set for Christmas dinner
Round two of presents...
Someone received a compost bin!!
Mark took several of the next pictures (which I appreciate...). In this picture, I look like I'm in a drunken stupor/ in need of immediate medical attention. Reality doesn't match the picture, thank goodness. I'm bent over to assemble the pieces of my compost bin.
Peek- a- compost bin!!
Uncle Doug helped me...
An awkward picture of my bin and me
While I love my new bin (I asked for it, btw. It's not something one would buy as a Christmas gift for someone without the recipient requesting it :)), I now feel pressure to actually produce something meaningful from it. Donnie's family (and my immediate family) reacted tepidly to the idea that this is going to be something worthwhile. I need to prove that it is!!
So many thoughtful gifts like this one from Aunt Janice and Uncle Bill- a box of goodies including Marion's Pizza gift cards, homemade peanut butter fudge, two cute mugs and Esther Price chocolates.
...and the box was adorable to boot!!
After the gift of baby Jesus, the next best gift is the privilege of spending times with loved ones. Love this picture of Donnie and Alyssa working on a Lego set Christmas evening

Comments
Post a Comment