Four day weekend
The kids had an extra long weekend because they didn't have school on Friday (of last week) or Monday (of this week). They were, of course, thrilled to have a three day week last week (off Monday due to ice/ rain), a four day week this week and a four day week next week (they have next Monday scheduled to be off school). Good times for those who don't care about too much about learnin'.
It was a low key long weekend. On Friday, Jacob hung out with Calvin most of the day and Malcolm some of the day. The weather turned out to be quite warm for January (about 40 degrees) and they spent some time outside. The girls played together all day and spent at least an hour outside at the park. Abby was invited to spend the night with a friend but she preferred to stay and play with Alyssa. The girls had a sleepover in Abby's room. So sweet!
Saturday, Abby had dance practice for most of the morning and part of the afternoon. Almost as soon as we arrived home from dance, Donnie, Alyssa and I headed to Mason to go to Alyssa's indoor soccer game. It was the second game of the second winter session. Alyssa's team is playing in a boy's league. They easily beat CUSA's B U8 boys team 6-2. I should have brought my camera to get some good shots! Alyssa played well. I hadn't seen her play since early December. It was fun to watch her beat up on those boys and prevent them from scoring much. Late Saturday afternoon and into the evening, Donnie and I painted the portion of our dining room walls that's below the chair rail. We painted the section white. Donnie is going to build picture frame wainscoting.
Sunday after church, Donnie attended to the dining room project. I'm glad it's he and not I who's doing it! He had to use a lot of math to figure out where he's going to place the frames. He bought the materials he needs for it and then started cutting the pieces. It's way over my head. I'm so glad he has the aptitude and willingness to do the project. Way too many angles and measuring for my abilities...
Sunday evening Abby spent the night at a friend's house for a slumber party. Abby said at first that she just wanted to go over to Holly's house for awhile and then have me pick her up. I told her that she should spend the night since her other friends were there, too (it's honestly easier to have her here so she can play with Alyssa but I feel that I need to encourage her friendships with girls her own age and who aren't her sister :)). Jacob had a friend sleep over and poor Alyssa had only Donnie and me for companions Sunday evening :-). She seemed fine with that and we had a pleasant evening.
Shortly after I picked Abby up from her friend's house, the kids and I headed downtown to have lunch with Donnie. We love to eat at Uno's every once in awhile. The girls (shockingly) love Uno's thin crust pizza. Jacob and I love their deep dish. Donnie usually gets soup and a sandwich. After arriving home, Jacob played outside with a bunch of his friends (it was close to 50 degrees) but I couldn't talk the girls into going outside. Alyssa did eventually go outside to play with her friends. Abby invited a friend from dance over and they hung out until I brought both of the girls to dance.
The only downside to a nice break is the knowledge of and dreading of going back to school.
I didn't do a good job in capturing the weekend in photos. I regretted not bringing my camera to Mason for soccer the second I saw her running on the field..
I had wanted to get some "before" pictures of our dining room. But, when I came back from the grocery store on Saturday, Donnie was already taping the room to get it ready for painting. So, the only before pictures I could take would not really be before pictures since we normally don't have tape on our walls! Here was one wall where the taping was minimal :).
Here's the bottom portion of the wall (below the chair rail) that we painted white on Saturday. The box that is outline in pencil is what Donnie drew and where he'll add moulding.
The chandelier shades (and the whole chandelier) was extremely dusty. That fuzz like substance on the shades is dust. Gross!
Here are some of the molding pieces that Donnie cut on Sunday (and some of his work equipment).
More pencil drawings on the walls...
The sign to Donnie's law firm in the 10th floor of the Premier Health Building- the kids love to come to his office from time to time. I'm glad we made it there on Monday.
IPhone picture fail- the view of the entrance to the firm's office as you exit the elevator is pretty and isn't really captured in this bad iPhone picture.
At Uno's- what the iPhone lacks in picture quality, it makes up for in quietness. I was able to surreptitiously take this picture of Jacob and Alyssa playing tic tac toe on the kids' menu.
Having fun in the parking garage after lunch. This activity was not as dangerous as the pictures below depict since there were no cars around!!
It was a low key long weekend. On Friday, Jacob hung out with Calvin most of the day and Malcolm some of the day. The weather turned out to be quite warm for January (about 40 degrees) and they spent some time outside. The girls played together all day and spent at least an hour outside at the park. Abby was invited to spend the night with a friend but she preferred to stay and play with Alyssa. The girls had a sleepover in Abby's room. So sweet!
Saturday, Abby had dance practice for most of the morning and part of the afternoon. Almost as soon as we arrived home from dance, Donnie, Alyssa and I headed to Mason to go to Alyssa's indoor soccer game. It was the second game of the second winter session. Alyssa's team is playing in a boy's league. They easily beat CUSA's B U8 boys team 6-2. I should have brought my camera to get some good shots! Alyssa played well. I hadn't seen her play since early December. It was fun to watch her beat up on those boys and prevent them from scoring much. Late Saturday afternoon and into the evening, Donnie and I painted the portion of our dining room walls that's below the chair rail. We painted the section white. Donnie is going to build picture frame wainscoting.
Sunday after church, Donnie attended to the dining room project. I'm glad it's he and not I who's doing it! He had to use a lot of math to figure out where he's going to place the frames. He bought the materials he needs for it and then started cutting the pieces. It's way over my head. I'm so glad he has the aptitude and willingness to do the project. Way too many angles and measuring for my abilities...
Sunday evening Abby spent the night at a friend's house for a slumber party. Abby said at first that she just wanted to go over to Holly's house for awhile and then have me pick her up. I told her that she should spend the night since her other friends were there, too (it's honestly easier to have her here so she can play with Alyssa but I feel that I need to encourage her friendships with girls her own age and who aren't her sister :)). Jacob had a friend sleep over and poor Alyssa had only Donnie and me for companions Sunday evening :-). She seemed fine with that and we had a pleasant evening.
Shortly after I picked Abby up from her friend's house, the kids and I headed downtown to have lunch with Donnie. We love to eat at Uno's every once in awhile. The girls (shockingly) love Uno's thin crust pizza. Jacob and I love their deep dish. Donnie usually gets soup and a sandwich. After arriving home, Jacob played outside with a bunch of his friends (it was close to 50 degrees) but I couldn't talk the girls into going outside. Alyssa did eventually go outside to play with her friends. Abby invited a friend from dance over and they hung out until I brought both of the girls to dance.
The only downside to a nice break is the knowledge of and dreading of going back to school.
I didn't do a good job in capturing the weekend in photos. I regretted not bringing my camera to Mason for soccer the second I saw her running on the field..
I had wanted to get some "before" pictures of our dining room. But, when I came back from the grocery store on Saturday, Donnie was already taping the room to get it ready for painting. So, the only before pictures I could take would not really be before pictures since we normally don't have tape on our walls! Here was one wall where the taping was minimal :).
Here's the bottom portion of the wall (below the chair rail) that we painted white on Saturday. The box that is outline in pencil is what Donnie drew and where he'll add moulding.
The chandelier shades (and the whole chandelier) was extremely dusty. That fuzz like substance on the shades is dust. Gross!
Here are some of the molding pieces that Donnie cut on Sunday (and some of his work equipment).
More pencil drawings on the walls...
The sign to Donnie's law firm in the 10th floor of the Premier Health Building- the kids love to come to his office from time to time. I'm glad we made it there on Monday.
IPhone picture fail- the view of the entrance to the firm's office as you exit the elevator is pretty and isn't really captured in this bad iPhone picture.
At Uno's- what the iPhone lacks in picture quality, it makes up for in quietness. I was able to surreptitiously take this picture of Jacob and Alyssa playing tic tac toe on the kids' menu.
Having fun in the parking garage after lunch. This activity was not as dangerous as the pictures below depict since there were no cars around!!

Comments
Post a Comment