Weekending
Had a nice weekend! Friday after work, I ran some errands- the bank (yes, I'm ancient and still deposit checks in person) and a couple of stores including the grocery store. I came home and cleaned the house up before getting ready to go out when Donnie got home.
One of the churches in town hosts an Oktoberfest in early September. Not sure why the event is a church sponsored event. I guess it's a money making event for the church that hopefully uses the proceeds for good? There's no pretense that this is a church/gospel related event. Rather, lots of beer, food and events that are associated with an Oktoberfest. It's just down the road from us but last year was the first year that Donnie and I attended.
Donnie "surprised" me with this outfit years ago and I'd never worn it before. (Shocking, nein?) He also bought lederhosen for himself that he decided not to wear because they don't fit him well. Speaking of not fitting well, I had to wear a sweater because I could not zip up the back of my dress!! I thought for sure it must have been a size XXS, but no, it's just a small. Well, it's a small small is what I'm telling myself 😆
Several of our friends came to our house so that we could walk to it together. Then at the event, we met some of our neighbor friends there. It was fun but honestly, I had a better time last year than this year. I think I was pleasantly surprised last year with how fun it was and my expectations were higher. It was nice to catch up with friends, neighbors and friendly acquaintances whom I saw and got to talk with.
Neighbor besties!
We stayed for over four hours and then walked home. It was good to be home and finally get to bed- it was close to midnight.
The next morning was stormy and raining. On my way out of town, I stopped at our town's adorable pumpkin patch, Kleather's. It was raining pretty hard- my destination was not the patch per se (in part because I'm growing my own pumpkins and don't plan to buy pumpkins and in part because, well, it was raining hard and was not a good day to be walking out in the rain) rather the inside of the barn where they sell all sorts of cute, locally made things.
I bought the pumpkin in the lower right hand side for my sister as well as some treats.
They have cute decor, some of it pumpkin based, some not. Aww, the poor Buckeyes later on Saturday. Golly, what a lead to blow in the 4th quarter. I didn't watch the game but I heard about it.
Popcorn, pumpkins, Joe Burrow?
Then I got in my car, destination Indianapolis. It was my sister's birthday and she had to be in the city for a work event. I told her I'd meet her there to celebrate the day with her. It was about a 2 1/2 hour drive to Indy. We met at a Thai restaurant for lunch. The food tasted amazing. I got seafood something.
One of my nieces came, too. We went to the hotel where we were staying and then went to my sister's alumni event. (She works for a Christian college in Indiana.)
Someone from my sister's work brought this small cake for my sister and we sang to her.
There was food at the event so we didn't need to stop for dinner; however, the event lasted longer than we thought it would and had to catch a late movie after (we were hoping to watch the next to latest movie...)
We saw The Runner. It was all right. Quite Reacher-esque. I'd recommend it... when it streams somewhere. Just my opinion- it was $80 for three tickets, a large popcorn, two pops and one Icee.
I slept in until almost 8:00 😀. Ate the hotel's breakfast, got ready and then headed out to our final destination, Cake Bake in Carmel.
The decor and dessert style seems to be over the top bumped up a notch...
Our table
Our server suggested we walk into the bakery area to see the items that are on the menu to help us decide what to order. Here is the view looking into the bakery part.
This entire cake can be yours for $175…
As soon as I saw the croissant, I knew I would be ordering it!
Cake stands were for sale (not on sale!)
And a Cake Bake cookbook was for sale for $89- $99 if signed by the owner. I think I'll stick to Allrecipes and my church ladies cook book!!
My croissant!!
We shared the croissant and two pieces of cake- one a chocolate cake and one a red velvet. They all tasted incredible!!
Of course the drinks were pretty, too!
After our yummy fest! I would highly recommend Cake Bake for a special occasion event and/or if you are in a caloric deficit and want to get out of it 😀 They have a food menu as well but we'd already eaten so we just wanted dessert.
We did some shopping in the cute shops near the Cake Bake and then we went our separate ways.


























That sounds like such a fun weekend! That Cake Bake looks incredible.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Joanne! It was a really neat place- a feast for the eyes and the palate!
ReplyDeleteWhat an incredibly fun weekend for you. That Cake Bake was something else. Wow! Plus it was beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you got some sister time.
Have a wonderful week ahead.
Thank you, Nancy! You would really love the Cake Bake- maximalist style in the best possible way.
DeleteWhat a full weekend! The German outfit is cute, the pumpkin place was cute, and meeting your sister and niece was the icing on the cake - get it? I have seen photos of friends going to Cake Bake. Wow! The dipped croissant looked amazing. I always see croissants and mini croissants on the clearance bakery rack at Kroger. I wonder if you could dip your own? You are so good with icings.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Amy! The Cake Bake is very IG-able/bloggable!! I like your suggestion play on words- yes, it was the icing on the cake :).
DeleteWhat an amazing weekend and birthday celebration for your sister. So glad you could spend time together! That Cake Bake places looks unreal- I would love it there- so so pretty and looks delish too. The Oktoberfest looks and sounds fun and I LOVE your outfit :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Holly! It was fun to dress up and be festive. You would love the Cake Bake- the intersection of beautiful decor sad scrumptious desserts :).
DeleteWhat a fun weekend! Happy birthday to your sister. The desserts look really good!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Dara! The desserts tasted incredible and I was glad I got to spend time with my sister.
DeleteI love your Oktoberfest dress - so fun! I wonder why they hold the event in September? The time with your sister looks so fun, especially the festive cake experience. Hope you have a good week!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Tanya! I wonder about the date as well. A woman I was chatting with told me about a small town in OH where 80k come to their Oktoberfest which is also in September. Who knows why??
DeleteI am excited that it is Oktoberfest season so I can wear my dirndl as well, though I am slightly worried it won't fit as well as last year; my hormones have definitely changed recently and hence, my body shape.
ReplyDeleteI hope yours fits as well. I got mine years and years and at least fifteen pounds ago so I was not shocked at the smugness, lol. Though it seemed very small for a small.
DeleteI haven't been to my bank for years. lol My fellas bank, the branch local to us was closed and I don't even know where the nearest one is.
ReplyDeleteOh wow! I love your outfit, that did make me chuckle about the back not zipping up. It sounds like a fun evening!
The Pumpkin patch store looks so cute!
Happy birthday to your sister, it sounds like you both had a lovely time.
Cake Bake looks so fancy but the sweet treats look amazing!
Thanks, Kim! It was a fun evening even with a dress that didn't zip up (and having to wear a sweater when it was hot out to cover my exposed back!). I did have a lovely time with my sister. I'm glad it worked out to spend part of the weekend with her!
DeleteYou are so cute in your outfit. :-)
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to your sister.
I am still laughing at your line ... the cake stands were for sale, not on sale. ;-)
xo
Thanks, Carla! The cake stands sure were expensive (as was everything in the store!).
DeleteYour costume is adorable! When I used to buy them, they always ran small. Nowadays I just wear festive shirts instead. I’m definitely down for an all-cake meal, yummm 😋
ReplyDeleteThanks, Paula! I'm thinking this was a size small for juniors/teens. Yikes! Festive shirts are a good idea!
DeleteMaria, you are darling! So glad you had a fun weekend! I am so glad your sister was celebrated well for her birthday. That place looks amazing, along with that crossant. Makes me want to take a road trip!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Marilyn! Yes, you know one stop you should make in Indy if you're ever there!! I'm glad my sister and I were together for her birthday :).
Delete