Hodgepodge

 1. How do you define beauty? 

In a person's looks? Character? In the ineffable things of life? In nature? 

I guess one generic answer for beauty that maybe fits all of these is that which is so extraordinary in a good way that it transcends the ordinary. 

As a Christian, I believe that God created beauty literally in the natural world and He created us to live beautiful lives where we strive to live a life of  service and love for others. 


2. Have you ever taken a trip by train? If so where did you go and what did you think of the experience? If not do you have any desire to do so? Where would you like to go? (You might find inspiration here-The Best Train Trips in The World)

Does the monorail at Disney count? The train ride at Kings Island that takes you to the water park, lol? No, I've never traveled a distance outside of a theme park, I don't think. I'd love to take a train ride into the Grand Canyon. 

3. Shell shocked, bombshell, bandshell, shellacking, in a nutshell, walking on eggshells...choose one and tell us why you chose it, or how it relates to your life in some way currently.

I would say shell shocked. I am still grappling with working Monday through Friday! The hours are part time but they are a bit more than I'd like. I haven't worked Monday through Friday since May of 2003 so I think I'm entitled to some shell shockness! 

One thing is for sure, whenever I do cease working Monday through Friday, I will appreciate not working five days a week A LOT! Donnie has been working Monday through Friday for twenty seven years with very little time off (nature of the profession/now being a small business owner and professional) and I have such a deep admiration and appreciation for what he's done. I mean, I always appreciated but it this five week stint (so far) has me renewed of my admiration for his hard work.


4. Tacos, pistachios, oysters, clams, eggs...your favorite food on the list that comes in/with a shell? 

I really like pistachios. If I'm feeling fancy, I will buy a bag with the shells already removed :). Having to remove the shells prior to eating one can take away the joy just a tiny bit of eating them. It's normally not the physical demand of removing the shell, it's wondering if the shell will come off easily or not. Too much stress, lol!!

I also like eggs a lot. Hard boiled or cooked on the stove with cheese to make a cheese and egg patty to insert in between the toasted top and bottom portions of bagels- YUM!

I had oysters for the first time over the weekend in Indiana. I didn't think I'd be a fan and I was correct! Three of them came on my plate- a seafood platter- and it worked out great for me to try one and for my sister and niece to each have one. I wouldn't have wanted to eat three! 





5. Are birthdays a big deal in your house? Is your own birthday a big deal in some way? Elaborate. 

Birthdays are a quasi big deal? When the kids were younger, I tried to make their birthdays special. Birthday parties, treats, a special meal, presents, etc. But I don't feel like I went too over the top. Partly I didn't want to spoil them- yes, the kids are loved, special, and important BUT I didn't want them to feel like the world revolved around them. 

I don't feel like my birthday is a huge deal. I'm grateful to be alive and to live is to have birthdays. It's nice to have a day set aside where friends and family make you feel cared about and loved. And a big 'ol piece of cake with thick frosting is always a great way to tangibly and tastefully enjoy the day:

Thick frosting from a piece of cake at the Cake Bake that I went to over the weekend 


At the same time, I generally feel a sense of relief when my birthday is over. The "fuss" if you will is over. 


6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I have this hanging in the girls' bathroom. It's a quote attributable to F. Scott Fitzgerald. It says:

"She was beautiful, but not like those girls in magazines. She was beautiful for the way she thought. She was beautiful for the sparkle in her eyes when she talked about something she loved. She was beautiful for her ability to make other people smile, even if she was sad. No, she wasn't beautiful for something as temporary as her looks. She was beautiful, deep down in her soul."

I thought it was a nice sentiment to place in a bathroom where a mirror would project the girls' visages and they were likely to find fault with something therein (I think my girls are beautiful physically but I know that it's very common to look at yourself and find fault). It was a reminder of what's really important- not the outward shell.

My girls joke now that I put it in their bathroom because I don't think they're beautiful- that I put it up as some sort of consolation of not being pretty! Of course that is not it at all. 

Perhaps I should have just put a wall hanging with one of the Bible's "best verses" on beauty: Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." Proverbs 31:30

Linking up with Joyce for the Hodgepodge


Comments

  1. Oh I love that quote! That's so funny that the girls tease you for your reason behind hanging it there. The cake looks yummy. I love and will use anyone's birthday as a reason to eat cake/sweets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne! I thought I was doing something neat for them by hanging that in their bathroom. I was not intending to get teased that I hung it up because I was telling them they aren’t conventionally beautiful!!

      Delete
  2. I love your answer about the trains! I've ridden the train at the zoo! haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I didn’t THINK that was the spirit of the question but I had to put those two answers in it!!

      Delete
  3. I didn't realise until today that trains are not used that much in America for travel, I suppose with the size of the US it's easier to fly.
    Getting used to working Monday to Friday must be a big change, I get why you are shellshocked!
    Good on you for trying oysters! I don't think I could.
    That is a great sign in your bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! I liked the flowery words and sentiments the sign. No, trains are not used much in the US at least in the mid west. I think they are used more on the East Coast.

      Delete
  4. Love love love that sign in the girls' bathroom- I want it ;) Ok on the oysters, I think you need to try them ice cold...served on ice actually ....with a glass of champagne...beside the ocean...there is nothing like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly! I found the sign on Etsy I believe. I like it even if the girls say I hung it because I don't think they're beautiful (they're just trying to razz me, I think!). I'm sure oysters would taste better by the sea :).

      Delete
  5. I love the quote : ) In the age of instagram I think young women (probably older women too) need reminding that beauty is more than just how we look on the outside. I like oysters all ways, but if. you're not a fan of the raw, then roasted is delicious. Hope you're doing well. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce! The "world' judges us by how we look even though I think we all understand we're much more than our physical appearance. Definitely need reminders of that... I could see oysters being good roasted. Raw was a hard no for me!

      Delete
  6. I always feel let down after a birthday that nothing really happened on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always just kinda relieved that my birthday is over :).

      Delete
  7. Love the quote and love the verse, too. Ha...don't try oysters for the first time in a landlocked state. LOL. But good for you for trying. Now you know what you aren't missing. :) That is tough to have an obligation 5 days a week after having the summer off! Hope the rest of your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellen! Yes, seafood in a landlocked state is probably not the best way or place, anyway, to eat them. Working is an adjustment, that is for sure!

      Delete
  8. LOL I love that you put that in the bathroom. Girls, I think, have always struggled with looks, and magazines (and now social media) never truly help because they create a jealousy culture. I never partook in that but I can see my daughter getting wrapped up in it. She likes makeup and all that but we often talk about how that stuff isn't what truly matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right that girls are bombarded with images of "perfect" looking women (that's fake anyway with filters) and studies have shown that active SM use among teens leads to depression. It's no wonder! Your daughter is being raised with common sense parents so there is that on her side for turning out well :).

      Delete
  9. My girls would have thought the same thing and ribbed me as well!! I can relate!! It sounds like a lot working 5 days a week and makes me wonder if I could do that again. It's good to try new foods even if they aren't your cup of tea. That cake looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! The cake was so good! I had wanted to try oysters; it worked out well that they were part of a platter- there was plenty on it that I liked :).

      Delete
  10. Love the cake and the quote! It’s hard to deliver the perfect message to our daughters…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness yes! As my dad used to say, "I can't win for losing." I think that applies to what I tell my girls- they are teens anymore but still they're impacted by worrying about their image and looks.

      Delete
  11. Oh what a lovely post. Love that sign in the bathroom and even more the verse in Proverbs! Good hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the sign in the bathroom, and the story that goes with it.
    Golly that cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have SO MUCH to catch up on so I'll start here. I love the print your girls' bathroom -what a strange thought, that they thought you didn't think they were beautiful? Just goes to show how hyper-critical people are of themselves I guess. Your girls are GORGEOUS. After reading several of these HodgePodges (I've been off the computer for over a week) I think this is one I have a lot to say about. Maybe I'll go back and do it? Probably not.
    Shell shocked is my feeling right now too. Interesting your shell-shockedness - often there are things that are "normal" to some and very difficult for others. I "get" how jumping back into the M-F game would be extremely hard. My shell-shockedness is that, after 9 days in my new BEST EVER job in the last decade, I went on my planned vacation. It wasn't a big deal since I stayed with the same company. Mid-week during my vacation I got an e-mail saying that my position had been eliminated and to turn in my stuff Monday when I got back to town. Welp. Unexpected and truly devastating. It had nothing to do with the person that hired me - she was taken by surprise too. So. . .here we go. . .don't know what's around the corner but I'll figure it out :)
    Still don't have an OH trip planned but when I do I would love to catch up with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, Jenni that stinks about your new job. Especially since you loved it. Will you pursue going back to your old position within the company? I've been doing my job now just over a month and I am still shell shocked that I have to go in five days a week, lol! I'm sure I'll get used to it at some point but it's going to take a while! I think the girls are playing with me regarding the print about beauty. They tease me that I put it up as a way of telling them that they aren't beautiful which is of course, not true at all!

      Delete
  14. That is quite a slab of frosting! Wow...did you eat it?:) And kudos to you for trying that oyster. I don't think I would have been so adventurous. I know my system would be shellshocked, for sure, if I were to head back to work five days a week!! Happy Thursday...almost to the weekend:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts