Hodgepodge

1. ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?  On a scale of 1-10 how much of a fan are you? (10 is never miss a game and 1 is I'm just here for the snacks). Who's your team? If you're playing along today, but live outside the US feel free to sub your feelings about futbol for the more American sport of football. 

If a football game is on TV because someone in my household has turned it on (I have never turned on the TV for a game) and a team I even remotely care for is playing, then I am a 10. I get super into the game, emotionally invested, etc. However, if "my" team is playing but no one turns on the TV to the channel where the game is on and therefore I don't watch the game, I am a 1. I have to be viewing a game to really care about it; if I am viewing a game then I really care about it. I hope my explanation makes sense...

My college football team is the 2025 college football champions  and it was fun to watch the games last year that I saw on TV (since my team WON them all!!). One of my brothers is also an IU alum and he is a super fan (he doesn't need to be watching them play to be a fan!). He drove to our house to watch  many of the games with Donnie and me. We'd grill or get food with my brother when he came to watch the games-it was a whole event since my brother lives about 2 1/2 hours from us. 







Alyssa got me this FM t-shirt for Christmas. I love it!


Favorite college football teams in order of how I like them: IU, University of Cincinnati, University of MI, University of TN

Favorite NFL football teams: the Bengals, Colts, Cowboys, Raiders (so long as Fernando Mendoza is on their roster)


2. What's something you currently have a game plan for managing? 

Nothing is jumping out at me 😆


3. Do you like chicken wings? Hot, mild, or some other flavor? What's a must have food for you on a tailgate menu? I know tailgating isn't as big of a thing outside the US of A as it is inside the US of A, but you can also answer the question this way-what's a must have food for you at a sporting event viewing party? 

I like chicken wings but they aren't something I go out of my way to obtain/eat. I would never order them at a restaurant, put it that way. But when Donnie orders a bunch and there's one or two sitting there that have not been consumed by the wing lovers, I may decide to eat the wing. I prefer hot wings for the most part because I am not a wing connoisseur. My husband and son love wings and they have exotic sounding flavors that they enjoy. 

Must have food for a tailgate would buffalo chicken dip and chips

I'd also like something small and sweet to munch on like chocolate chips cookies or brownies.


4. Teams typically have strict playbooks they follow. What is one unwritten rule or piece of advice in your 'life playbook' you think everyone should know?

One thing is that lies tend to catch up with you. Telling the truth, while hard in the moment if you messed something up, forgot to do something you should have, etc. I'm not going to say I've never lied (that would be a lie) but I've really tried to make truthfulness my standard even when I don't want it to be.

I've tried to impart this to my kids. One of my kids was looking for a way out of something, maybe it was something like getting out of a day of school- I can't remember exactly. She said to me, "I know you won't life for me and I'm not asking you to do that." I really liked that my child knew (or strongly suspected) that lying was not something I was going to do for her. 

As a Christian, I believe that lying is wrong because the Bible says it is. But practically speaking, it's a  good idea to avoid since it tends to catch up with you. 



5. This is the week we remember and mourn all that was lost and changed on September 11, 2001. I always include a spot for bloggers to share anything they'd like to share about 9/11. Share as much or as little as you like. 

I don't have much to share. The pictures gut me. Our fractured society saddens me. Some people in our country, including influential people on social media, think that America got what it deserved on 9/11. 

6.Insert your own random thought here. 

The three day weekend was such a welcome one! I wrote about Friday through Sunday on my Monday's post and will likely write about Monday if I do a Friday post. Suffice it to say, it was a great long weekend and I didn't take it for granted!

The one year anniversary of Charlie Kirk's murder is coming up soon. I just received a book that I pre-ordered. It's  Frank Turek's book called The War on Reality which contains a lot of information about the mission and hope that Charlie Kirk had for college students across America. Frank was Charlie's mentor and was with Charlie on the fateful day when a radicalized young person believed that Charlie should die due to his political beliefs. The book is already hard to read in some ways but I will read it. 

Linking up with Joyce for the Hodgepodge

Comments

  1. I've definitely never ordered chicken wings either; they are just not a food I ever think of eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind eating one or two when the guys order them at a restaurant- that's good enough for me!

      Delete
  2. That's how I am with wings. Tom doesn't really ever order them. One time last winter I wanted to try lemon pepper flavor and they were good. I'm glad you had such a good long weekend! Well-deserved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! I tried to be consciously appreciative of it which I was! Donnie always orders wings at the place he thinks makes the best wings :).

      Delete
  3. You sound like my girls, they have no interest in football until it's on the TV and then they get invested in it.
    Chicken wings are not my favourite thing but I think if someone came and pulled all the meat off the bone for me I would happily eat it.
    That is a great answer for question 4! I agree telling the truth is so important. I hate being lied to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, your girls sound like me! I hate being lied to as well. Telling the truth is often unpleasant but it really is the best thing to do.

      Delete
  4. I'm all in on a football game I'm watching, even when the teams aren't mine. I've ordered the book as well, but don't have it yet. I agree with your thoughts on truthfulness. Even truth is argued about now which is sad. So glad you had a good long weekend. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s how I am about sports games I’m watching. I don’t have to care for either team but if I decide for whatever reason that I want one team to win, then I care a lot about the game. Frank’s book is really good. I’ve just started it but it’s good.

      Delete
  5. I agree that lies beget lies and soon, you can't remember what you lied about so it'll come crashing down. I agree that I don't typically order wings. I go in phases with the ones I mentioned in my post, but mostly because they are very low carb and easy to obtain. It'll be interesting to see how Mendoza does in the NFL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t think Mendoza is doing great so far- he’s the back up QB but it’s still so early in the season. I sure hope he becomes a superstar in the NFL!

      Delete
  6. Sometimes I think about how 9/11 would have been if we'd had the social media we do today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! I had not thought of that but now I’m wondering it, too.

      Delete
  7. 9/11 is still gut wrenching today- totally agree. Love your team spirit! Always love following along with your tailgating festivities!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many heart tugging anniversaries. It was fun to see your daughter with Joyce at that college game in Tennessee! People who don't choose reality, the real reality now are going to have a bad wake up call in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Ellen! It’s terrible that people perpetrate not choosing reality. So harmful!

      Delete
  9. These are hard days for Sept, with 9-11 and the anniversary of Charlie Kirk's murder but I will watch and I will remember.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chicken wings are not something I would ever order, but our kids love them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These days ahead are sad ones. In fact when I turned the calendar to September I said a prayer, September 10 and 11 back to back days of sadness.
    Praying along with you my dear friend.
    xo
    I listened to Charlie... I miss him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss him, too. I’m honoring his memory by reading books by his mentor Frank Turek.

      Delete
  12. Glad you had a long weekend! I thought about you Saturday when I saw Indiana playing football on tv at a restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We won pretty easily! I didn’t watch the game though we were in Indiana- the tv was not on during the birthday party.

      Delete
  13. I'm not a football fan any more, but I do tend to get sucked into caring about a game when someone else is watching. And of course I am pretty invested when we attend Buckeye watch parties!
    I used to order wings myself, at least as an appetizer, but I haven't done that in years. I still enjoy them, but never order them myself.
    Agree with your thoughts on the fracturing of our society today, and it's painful to see the contrast between how people really came together on 9/12 and how people are so sharply divided today.:-(
    Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with you about lying. Luckily the men in my family all cook and each brings things we all like for family events. Our nation is so divided and I pray daily and trust God for the many things I don’t understand. I try to focus on the positives!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoyed your answers. A bit late to commenting. I loved your thoughts on lying.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts