Weekending

Linking up with Holly and Sarah for Hello Monday


Friday was a good day- I didn't work which is a bit unusual for Fridays. The available jobs were ones that I did not want and knew I had plenty to do at home. I ran some errands including picking up Donnie's favorite pizza for dinner. He's been working super hard (truly the story of his career from day one!) and while that isn't unusual, one thing that is particularly less than ideal for him right now is that December, right through the end of the month, is insanely busy for him as many clients want deals to be complete by the end of the year. 

Saturday, we both did things around the house in the morning. I wrapped about twenty presents- so many items had been delivered to the house over the course of the week. I get antsy if I have too many unwrapped presents! I enjoy wrapping presents provided I am not rushed for time. In this much less busy phase of life, I do have time to wrap presents 😀

Speaking of time, I spent some time watching it. Well, not watching time pass- that is not something one can see. Rather, I watched a device by which we measure the passing of time- a clock. We've had a clock hanging on a wall for several years that has only told the correct time two times a day. The clock, even when functioning, was more decorative than an often used device by which to tell the time (which is why when it stopped working, it was not that big of a deal and has remained  broken for a long time). I decided it was finally *time* for it to go (was going to put something festive in its stead- that was the impetus for dealing with it!). I got a ladder, took down the clock from the wall and decided to change the batteries to see if that would make the clock work (I'm pretty sure I had done that before and changing the batteries didn't result in it working). If changing the batteries didn't work, I was going to throw it out. I changed the batteries, propped the clock against a wall and watched it for a while. After a few minutes, it was obvious that it worked. Yah! (I guess? Like I said, it was not missed as a functional clock for years!)

I added some ornaments to festive it up a bit and put 'er back on the wall.


(I took these pictures on Sunday- we were out of the house around 4:00 pm on Saturday!)


In the early afternoon on Saturday, we went to our friends' house to pick them up and to go on an adventure to the big city (Cincinnati!). The guys wanted to go to one of their favorite stores so we did that and then we went to Jungle Jim's. I thought for sure the store would be more decked out with Christmas lights and displays. It had some and did pipe in classic Christmas carols which was nice but overall, I was surprised that it wasn't more festive. It did have a decently large selection of Christmas candy and there I found Mozert Kugeln.

Such a pretty, though freezing cold, night...

There was this large gingerbread house... 

The store is huge- we'd never run into the small theater before. 

Two sweet things!

Mozart Kugeln are candies made with pistachio and marzipan and then dipped in chocolate. They are made in Austria and sold in stores there and in Germany- if there's an American equivalent, I know not of it.

An individual piece- so unique and good!

I had never seen (Ms.?) Mozart bars. Obviously, I bought one! The concept of the confection is the same. The bar was delicious, but I prefer Mozart Kugeln. (One word for "ball" in German is die Kugel. "Kugeln" refers to the ball shape of the most ubiquitous way the candy is made.)

Heading north to go home, we stopped to eat dinner in Liberty Township. We decided to eat at a restaurant there called Ford's. As in the car manufacture. The wait staff wore coveralls like car mechanics wear and the whole theme was old timey car kitschy. I loved it- I would have taken more pictures of the decor but the place was crowed and I didn't want to take pictures of strangers. Here is the front of the menu.


Cute napkins and holder!

This car was right behind our table...

We were so hungry that we got two appetizers to share


My meal- chicken mac n' cheese. It was as good as it looks!! We all liked what we got and determined we'd come here again to eat.


Sunday- I rarely eat breakfast these days but if I do, there's a 75% chance it's because we have these bad boys in the house

Oh no we didn't- oh yes we did- at Jungle Jim's we bought a package of The Best Muffins in the World aka pistachio muffins. I ate my two before the sun had so much as come up!


In the afternoon, Donnie and I worked on putting together a dining/pool table for the uncovered portion of the patio project. It was chilly out when Donnie first went outside with his drill.


Donnie's drill had a work out- these were the screws that held the box together that the table was in...


I helped Donnie assemble the table and by help I mean I stood with the table resting against me so Donnie could attach the legs. This was my view of the portion of the patio that is complete- maybe just a week or so and it will be done!

Pool balls- so pretty!

Donnie loves the table! We will use this table to dine at and play (obviously, there's a cover to place on top of it when using the table as a dining table).

I was inside the house and heard the unmistakable sound of a cue hitting a ball. Donnie was playing a game... I took these from the doorway of the house.


The weather was perfect (for November!) to play a game of a pool on a pool/dining table outside in the midst of a project!! Especially since the day before was freezing cold. 



Comments

  1. How exciting to see your project nearly complete! We have a pool table inside, just off our lower patio and everyone enjoys it. My daughter lived in Cincy for a year and Jungle Jims was a fun place to browse. I have never had a pistachio muffin but I like the flavor of pistachio and that sounds good. My daughter made pistachio cupcakes one year that were yummy. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce! Yes, the project has been a long time in the making and it will be so nice for it to be complete. That's neat that you have been to Jungle Jims! It is fun to walk through and they have such unique and sometimes well priced items. You have inspired me to make pistachio muffins or cupcakes- I am going to look up recipes!!

      Delete
  2. Your new pation looks so nice!! I remeber you talking about that store before and I bet it is fun to see it at Christmas time. I love the touch of decor on your clock and glad it is working. Have a good Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't believe the clock only needed new batteries. We hadn't replaced it just because we hadn't given much thought with what to replace it with. Now it doesn't need to be replaced :).

      Delete
  3. Wow! This patio is coming out amazing! I bet it is so satisfying that you are doing it yourselves too! Sounds like such a fun weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly! Well, we aren't doing any real work on it except for the items that we've purchased. Donnie had to get his drill out just to open the wood box that the pool table came in...

      Delete
  4. I have a clock that needs a battery change. But it ticks very loudly when it is working!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds kind of annoying!! This one doesn't make a sound.

      Delete
  5. What a fun weekend! That pool/dining table combo is so cool. I know it will get a ton of use! I love reading about your empty nest life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer- it's very different, that is for sure! Donnie loves the table. I sent a video of him playing to the kids and they are looking forward to it as well. Now we need some mild weather over break...

      Delete
  6. I have a clock I need to test with some batteries - like yours, it's been non-functional for years! I need to hear more about Jungle Jim's. We used to have a place called Jungle Jim's here when I was a kid, but it was more like an indoor play park for kids. I had no idea there was a story by that name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are two Jungle Jim locations in the Cincinnati area and as far as I know, they are the only two locations. They are international grocery stores in part though there's also an American grocery store, too, in it. The stores are humongous- both of them are over 200,000 square feet and they have 180,000 products in them. The stores are considered tourists attractions, because Cincinnati and because they really are impressive stores to see :). It's kind of hard to believe one area can support two huge stores plus all of the normal grocery stores.

      Delete
  7. When we took the kids to Sea World last month, my oldest wanted to go to some outlet stores and obviously Orlando has a ton. So we went to the closest set of them and they had a Ford's too - though it was not quite open, sadly. It was so close to being open, however, that the night we were there, they were training their employees. Oh well; one day I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you guys could have eaten at one- the one we ate at was really unique and the food was good. The next time you are in Orlando... or Cincinnati, lol.

      Delete
  8. That looks like a fun weekend. I love your new pool table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanne! I think it will get used a lot!

      Delete
  9. I've never seen a pool table/dining table like that. Y'all will get lots of use out of it. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So fun! We live locally as well, and Jungle Jim's is always a favorite of ours! I'll have to check out the restaurant, too!
    http://www.suzannehines.org

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes, for sure, Suzanne, check it out! I don't know if I mentioned it but it's located at Liberty Center.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts