Weekending- Good-byes and Hello
Linking up with Holly and Sarah for Hello Monday-
Friday, we moved Alyssa into her dorm at Ohio State. We were given a time slot of 4:00 pm which was nice as it was Alyssa's roommate Avery's time slot as well. Prior to leaving, Donnie went into work but he only worked half a day. In the morning, we packed up the car and not everything fit 😟. I had anticipated that and contacted Avery's dad to see if he'd have extra room in his vehicle. He told me he would have plenty because Avery was riding to Columbus with her mom. Abby didn't work on Friday which worked out well- the girls ran a couple of last minute errands together and then around lunch time, I met them at Lovely's to pick up lunch for Alyssa's last lunch at home. Donnie was home by that time so we all ate together.
Then when it was time to go, Brian stopped by to get our excess stuff and then we were off to Columbus. Move in was shockingly easy and organized. After unloading all of her items, we were able to park at Ohio Stadium for FREE!! That is likely the only time that we will ever park on campus for free 😆
I am trying to think of the best way to describe Alyssa's living arrangements. Odd would be one accurate adjective. Alyssa and three other girls share a bunk room. This space is so small that it would not be possible for the beds to not be arranged as bunk beds. Each girl has a small closet space. In addition, there are eight drawers total in two chest of drawers to share, so two each, and four open shelves so they each get one of those.
Then there is a study room for the four of them. It's small with four small desks. This room also contains a microwave and a refrigerator/freezer. I guess the purpose of this is so that if someone is up studying late, she won't disturb the others. But wouldn't it have made more sense to take the combined spaces of the bunk room and the study room and make two normal college dorm rooms? You know, two people share a room, each person has a dresser and a desk? Is normal too much to ask for?? It seems like the more people who have to share a small sleeping space, the more rife it is for problems to arise due to different bedtimes and wake up times? Common sense isn't too common! I would add "anymore" but this dorm is old. Someone thought this living arrangement was the bees knees years ago. If four people wanted to live this way, that would be one thing. I could see this possibly being something four people would want after their first year of college. Four friends may think this was a good configuration. But four people their freshman year who don't know each other? (Alyssa knows Avery of course and they requested to live together. But their preference (which they stated) was a normal room for the two of them).
Anyway, it is, proverbially what it is. And now all we can do is pray that the four of them get along well. Add that to the college prayer list 😀. It's a long one...
We were with Alyssa several hours and then we walked around campus to get something to eat with her. OSU will never win a beautiful campus contest! Many of the buildings I find to look really odd (I guess that tracks with the weird dorm set up...) including this one. Also, I dislike it when proper nouns are not capitalized. Just... follow the rules of grammar.
Many buildings on campus have the name "Wexner" (or wexner, as it were) attached to them. Leslie Wexner is the wealthiest man in Ohio and has given upwards of $200 million dollars to OSU. I guess his name is going to be on the buildings on which he wants his name...He was also intricately financially involved with the late Jeffery Epstein. So, there's that.
Two instances of grammatical mistakes don't make a right but... consistency, anyway? Here is another picture of the underwhelming "wexner center for the arts" building.
All too soon, it was time to tell Alyssa good- bye. Save your tears for the pillow or says Abby Lee Miller. Perhaps even Ms. Miller would make an exception when dropping your baby off at college...
We aren't quite empty nesters, though! Abby is still here though her time at home is drawing to a close. Still, it was nice to know we had the weekend with her.
Abby did have plans for much of Saturday. She was going to a cook out and then straight to a Cincinnati Reds game with her boyfriend in the evening. We ran a couple of errands and made cookies for her to take to the cook out before she left.
Abby heard about a used store in Centerville that buys clothes for resale. She had a box of clothes that fit the criteria for what the store was looking for (namely, named brand clothes). We went to the store and looked around while the clerk was going through the clothes that Abby brought in to sell to them. Abby was hoping to find a Cincinnati Reds t-shirt. Not being a huge fan, it was hard to justify buying something brand new. Used would work. She didn't find a shirt though we both looked around. The store had some nice things and a few things caught my eye but I didn't buy anything. Abby was offered not a whole lot of money, but some, for the clothes the store was willing to buy. The store offered to donate the clothes to a charity that they didn't want to purchase so that was nice- Abby didn't have to leave the store with clothes that she didn't want!
Interesting name...Capitalization is 👍
I then remembered that there's a consignment shop in Springboro so we hit that up to look for a Reds t-shirt. We didn't find one but Abby bought a cute dress using the proceeds from the sale of her clothes from the other store.
After Abby left for her cookout and baseball adventures, Donnie and I decided to head out to buy some items that we let Alyssa take with her to college. We went to a mall and sort of on a whim went to a furniture store that is in the mall and bought a lot more than we had planned on buying. We probably wouldn't have gone into the store but for a mistake that I made. During Ohio's sales tax free holiday, I had some items in my cart at Wayfair that I thought I bought. Only I must have gotten distracted (we were in a bit of an online buying frenzy on the last evening of the sales tax free holiday) because I never completed the order. But I thought I had and wondered why the items weren't being shipped to me. I realized that I unwittingly did not complete the order.
I fessed up to Donnie about my shopping blunder (I only recently realized it myself) and asked if we could look around the furniture store. We ended up buying a few things- more than I had in my Wayfair cart and way more money but... we really like what we ended up with. We didn't spend a fortune which was good since we had not planned to buy so much and have been experiencing a high volume of spending- from the unplanned car purchase last weekend, to college "things" for the girls, to items for our outdoor project, etc. We bought all floor samples so we saved a lot of money. The items all show a tiny bit of wear but you would have to look hard for the signs of wear and signs of wear would show up eventually on anything.
Sunday morning was church and we got to see our pastor after fourteen months! He experienced a significant health crisis last year and anticipated not being able to preach for six months. Complication after complication rendered that date fourteen months. It was wonderful to see and hear from him again. He preached a powerful sermon based on Isaiah 40.
Aside from the baby leaving home for the first time to attend a large university where she is living in tight quarters with two strangers in a campus that is in a big city, it was a good weekend.




Lots of emotions in those college years...hang in there. I'm sure she'll do great. I will add you and your college girls to my prayers. While my decorator was here last week checking on the painters she helped me figure out how to furnish the new outdoor space. Of course we will need to buy furniture and I think we will add a firepit style coffee table to the old space which is going to open up with the new space now available to move our table. One thing leads to another and another and another. Whew. We'll enjoy it and when it comes to spending lately my hubs has started saying 'you can't take it with you'. lol No, but we do need it to live on too. Enjoy your week and time with your daughter in the house!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Joyce! I appreciate the prayers. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your outdoor space!!
DeleteI have been impressed with how quickly college move in goes and how organized it is. Moving out is a little different, but I feel like moving into college dorms is where colleges shine! How great to have your pastor back at church!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Marilyn! We were so pleasantly surprised with how well run the OSU move in was. Considering what a big school it is, they did a great job in having the move in procedures run smoothly.
DeleteI remember my college dorm room being tiny as well, though there were only 2 of us in there. It was literally, walk in, to the right is the closet, the left, a sink. Then on either side, a bed that almost touched the far wall. In the center along the wall with the window was a table large enough for two and that was IT. Definitely the smallest space I ever stayed in. I am sure they'll do fine! That's part of college: rooming with people and getting over everyone's oddities.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I hope so. I feel like with four, though, in a small space, issues are more likely to come up than if it was just two people in a room. I don´t know. Hopefully it will all work out. Everything is just a huge adjustment right now.
DeleteI know that feeling of saying goodbye. I just did it again in Oregon recently at graduate school but that is a bit easier because at least my oldest child a real adult scientist with credentials and a fiance. But Oregon is a long way away. State schools can go either way on dorms. University of Kentucky has amazing dorms with in suite bathrooms to be shared by only two! Ethan could not wait to get out of there. The quality, compatibility and character of the roomates are more important than the space. Lucy is deep into the recruiting process and will not be close but she is definitely looking at the quality of the dorms and realizing home is pretty amazing. So savor the fact that all three of your children are within an hour, notwithstanding odd dorm arrangements. Best of luck to Alyssa. I am sure she will excel in college.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Doug! Oregon is super far away- I hope his fiance is nearby. If he´s like Jacob, he is probably pretty independent. I feel like Jacob could live anywhere and be fine BUT I am grateful that he is only an hour away. What´s weird to me about OSU is that there are so many different possibilities of rooming situations and dorms. A few are really nice and then some are crappy. It stinks that it just seems arbitrary. Smaller school can offer more space and more luxurious accommodations to their students. I am sure that Lucy will land at a great school with nice dorms :). Alyssa was impressed with everything about UK. But they didn´t offer enough scholarships to her and we didn´t feel like it was a good enough school to justify spending thousands more each semester than a good state school in Ohio like OSU.
DeleteI should not say this publicly but UK is full of morons. There are brilliant kids there but the are mixed in with the unwashed masses. Having said that, Lexington is lovely and I love going to the basketball games. OSU is better. The flagship Ohio University is much better academically than the flagship Kentucky school. As for little Ivies and actual Ivies where she is looking, it is amazing what a several billion dollars in endowment gives you. Maybe it is the oldest kid thing, but they are very independent. I am just happy that he is happy and thriving.
DeleteThinking of you Mama and dreading those days but I know you will be be positive and a wonderful inspiration to all of us XO and side note? Your descriptions crack me up!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Holly! You will rock at being a college mom... but enjoy not being one these next two years, lol.
DeleteI do not see how on Earth we're going to fit all of Alec's stuff in the car... I've already talked with my oldest about swapping cars for the day since he has a pick up truck with a covered bed. Wishing Alyssa the absolute best at college! Hopefully the girls will all become fast friends and find a routine that works. It sounds like you found some lovely purchases!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Joanne! It was funny that we fit everything that we needed in the car for Abby when she went away (and it's the same car and same number of people in the car) but I knew right away when I saw all the stuff that it wouldn't all fit. For the life of me I can't pinpoint exactly the extra stuff that Alyssa packed that Abby didn't. I would definitely try to swap cars with a vehicle that holds more. If you feel like it's too much for your vehicle, it probably is! Just my advice... I hope that Alec's move in goes smoothly and that he has a great year!
DeleteI know those college goodbyes are hard, made even tougher when the living situation is not ideal. That room sounds very crowded! I had to laugh about your opinions about the buildings on campus and also the J. Epstein connection. Yikes. Hope the start of the school year goes well!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Tanya! Yes, you know all about the good-byes. So hard. I hope your kids have great years, too.
DeleteThat does sound like an odd dorm room set-up. I remember Sophia's was a two-person room with single beds and a desk for each of them which made the room really crowded. There were kits available to make the beds into top bunks with the desk underneath which left them with a lot more room. Here's to a great year ahead for Alyssa!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Pamela! That is what my dorm room set up was like the during the two years I lived in a dorm. My second year, my roommate and I bunked our beds. That definitely gave us more space.
DeleteWow - what an emotional (or emotion filled) weekend! I really will be praying for your college girls...especially that freshman:) I have to agree with you...that campus is not exactly attractive. Especially compared to Abby's!! So wonderful that your pastor is back - that must have been a wonderful Sunday. Just what you needed after Saturday!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Jennifer! There is no comparison between the two girls' campuses... Thank you for your prayers! I appreciate it so much and am sending you a virtual hug to show how much it means to me. We are thankful our pastor is back- his health was precarious for the longest time.
DeleteThat was one busy and I am guessing emotional week. I remember those days when we sent our youngest away to school. He went from Wisconsin to Arizona and our daughter was in Utah, we were about as empty nest as you can get. No weekend visits, nothing.
ReplyDeleteNow you can relax and regroup. Good news on your pastor coming back!
Thanks, Jim- wow, your kids were really far away! Alyssa is the furthest away from us at about an hour and a half away. I was bummed that Alyssa moved in before getting to see our pastor on Sunday but at least Abby got to see him and hear him preach before she went away to school.
Delete