Thankful Thursday

Things that I am thankful for this Thursday:

1. Rain- we went for so long without it and have finally had a decent bit of it.  My plants thrive when rain is sufficient. I dislike having to water- it's necessary but it's hard to know how much and how often to do it. 

2. Health- specifically being pain free and mobile.  I have generally been healthy and pain free and most of the time I take this for granted. But I try to remind myself how fortunate I am and to be thankful in the moment that I am not experiencing pain of any kind. I've been walking a lot lately and am grateful for no pain when I walk. I know that for many, the simple act of walking cannot be done pain free. 

3. Low humidity- on the days that it hasn't rained, we've had beautiful days devoid of humidity. Those days are probably a' coming since it isn't even technically summer yet.

4. Trips to look forward to- I plan to visit my brother in July and then I want to get to Canada to see my sister soon though that trip is not on the calendar yet. We don't have any plans for a family vacation this year which does not portend well for one happening! Alyssa has an idea for one or for at least a long weekend. Hopefully we can make that happen.

5. Our time of having a convertible to drive even though that time is up! Donnie bought a -not-a-midlife crisis- convertible in August of 2020. Truly not a midlife crisis thing but rather pretty well thought out. Abby was sixteen and not loving driving at all. In fact, she didn't have her license yet. She had her permit and she drove occasionally with us to get practice hours in but she did not like driving one bit. We *needed* (more like wanted) her to have a car to drive when she did get her license and considered getting something practical like a Honda Civic. But with her enthusiasm so low about driving, Donnie decided that if we bought an extra car for Abby (and/ or Alyssa who would be of driving age soon and wasn't exhibiting the reticence at the idea of driving like Abby was), it might as well be something that he liked and would enjoy driving when Abby wasn't using it (whatever car he bought wouldn't belong to Abby; rather it would be a family communal car but with her mostly in mind since Donnie and I both have vehicles). The idea of having a small car was appealing (hence considering a Civic) for when the girls took the maneuverability portion of the drivers license test. So, then Donnie started considering small cars that he'd like in addition to what he thought Abby and Alyssa might like to drive and he came up with a convertible!! 

He was hoping for a specific brand, Porsche, but since the amount he decided he was willing to pay for a car was less than twenty thousand, that sort of kind of ruled out a new Porsche (by about $fifty thousand!!). Donnie found a pre owned Porsche that fit all of his parameters and bought it!

It was fun driving around in the Porsche with the top down, no doubt about it. Both girls passed their driver's test with the Porsche and its small body no doubt decreased the chance that they would hit a cone and fail their driver's test. Abby didn't need a car in college and it worked out well that by the time she started school, Alyssa was starting to drive. When Alyssa got her driver's license, she started to drive the Porsche. She drove it every day to school this past school year, her junior year, and her sophomore year once she had her license, she drove it to school. It was a good car... except, when the top was up. The narrow window really decreased visibility. It was also rear wheel drive so it performed poorly in inclement weather. The car was one of two extremes- either really enjoyable, fun to drive or really not fun and a bit dangerous due to limited visibility.

Long story short, we recently saw a cute used sedan. It's bigger than a Civic but not by much and the price seemed really good. We talked it over with Alyssa and she so disliked driving the convertible in the winter that she said she'd prefer to have the sedan to drive even if it meant we'd do the trade in now, in the peak of top down weather to ensure that she had a cute, non convertible to drive in the winter. So, we recently did the trade. I am thankful that we had the convertible but am thankful that we have a car in its stead now that holds more passengers, more cargo and is safer. 

She was a cutie...

The cat that got the caner- er convertible- this was the first time she was in our driveway. Donnie picked her up from where she was shipped. I head this loud motor rumbling in our driveway (I asked Donnie if the engine was OK and he assured me that the sound I was hearing was normal for the car and not a sign of engine distress) so I went outside to check it out. Took a few pictures and I'm glad that I did!


6. Speaking of extremes, I'm thankful that I'm doing better with extremes with regard to my diet. I'm usually either all in or all out. For instance, I'll cut out all sugar for a time period or I'll eat super healthy for a time period and then those extremes end and I'm the extreme the other way. I've been hoping to have a diet that's more balanced and not one of extremes so that's what I'm working on. And I'm thankful to say that it's going pretty good. I used to drink way too much pop- it was an extreme amount. Lately, I've had one drink of pop every few days. Same with sweets. I've had a few "healthier" type sweets (still dessert but lower sugar than say, a piece of cake or cookie) and it hasn't derailed me. So, I'm thankful for that. 

7. I'm thankful for time spent with Abby this summer and then when she goes back to school, I know I will cherish time spent with Alyssa as she will begin her senior year of high school. I'm thankful that Jacob's job is going well. And I'm thankful for Donnie's steadfast commitment to working hard and providing for us.  

Linking up with Jennifer for Thankful Thursday.


Comments

  1. Those are all such great things to be thankful for! Congrats on the newer car, too! I know she will enjoy that much more in the colder months. It's good to hear that all of your "kids" are doing well in life. I know you're like me in that- I love to hear that my kids are thriving and enjoying life. I love seeing pictures of their smiling faces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth! It is not hard to come up with things to be thankful for. I'm not always the most positive person so it is a good exercise to be intentional about things for which to be thankful.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful car and I'm sure the sedan will be nice too. It sounds like you and all the family are doing well. I need to do more like you on the diets and stop the extremes. I think I'm doing a little better with that, but haven't quite got to where I want to be on my eating plan. Take care and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! It was a cute car. I was a little sad to see it go. Regarding health, every little thing we can do is beneficial whether it's moving more or eating better. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. Oh that car is amazing though!! Anyway- I am happy you are healthy and enjoying time with your wonderful girls too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly! We are all experiencing varying degrees of not necessarily sellers remorse but sadness though at the thought of not having it, lol. It was the right thing to do but we miss it!!

      Delete
  4. So many wonderful things to be thankful for! That was such a cute car and I can see why you're a bit sad to see it go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne, yes it's good to list things for which to be thankful every once in a while ;).

      Delete
  5. I'm behind on reading/commenting this week, but what a great list of things to be thankful for and such good perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn! I hope you're having a good weekend!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts