The Second Half of August

As I predicted when I wrote about the first half of August, the second half of August was much different for us than the first half.

The biggest change was having Jacob move out of the house to attend college. He's fairly close but he's not living here anymore. It's really strange- however, thanks to texting/calling/FindyouriPhone features of our cell phones, we're able to readily communicate with him and/or keep track of his whereabouts. He's physically gone but not forgotten in any way, shape or communication.

The biggest change for the girls, aside from Jacob moving out for college, was the beginning of the school year. All good things must come to an end and summer break sure did end. Neither one has had much homework so far. The very worst part of school for them is getting up so early on school mornings.  Abby had a two week break from dance classes at the end of the month. Every year, her dance teacher gives the girls off two weeks starting right around the time that the school year starts. After Labor Day, the dancers transition to their dance schedule that they'll have for the remainder of the dance season. Abby has missed going to dance practice.

Speaking of practice, Alyssa has been having soccer practice all month so the second half of the month has not looked much different for her soccer wise. However, there was one rainy day in late August that resulted in a cancellation of soccer training for the evening. The best part was that it was my turn to drive the soccer carpool and it was Donnie's birthday. So, instead of Alyssa and me both being gone for much of the evening, we were both at home all evening. That couldn't have worked out better for us.

My lazy days of summer came to a halt, too, when school started. I started subbing the first full week of classes and have continued to do so. I don't mind working a few days a week at all; it makes me appreciate the days that I don't work and can be at home all the more.

We've had a few cooler days as the calendar has gotten closer to September. One day, it rained for most of the day and the temperature never hit 70. It was so cool- literally and figuratively. I made a big batch of chicken tortilla soup to celebrate. I wasn't working that day and had to run an errand, unfortunately. It was the kind of day where staying in sounded way better than going out. I wore jeans, a long sleeved shirt and rain boots to celebrate the much cooler/ rainy weather. I was shocked when I saw most people out were wearing shorts and short sleeved shirts. Where was their fall spirit??

Well, we went down a kid in late August and we went down one toilet in late August, too. The two are not coincidences. Jacob was the primary user of the hall bath upstairs. We'd told ourselves for a while that once Jacob moved out, we were going to renovate the bathroom. Donnie began the demo of it three days after Jacob moved out. He plans on doing a good bit of the work himself- tiling the floor and shower while he'll outsource the plumbing and electrical work. He's doing the demo himself, too, and that required taking out the toilet that was in the bathroom. It will be so nice to have a remodeled bathroom- we have no idea how long everything will take. Until then, the four of us will have to make do with 1 1/2 bathrooms.

Demo Day 1- Donnie had a helper





Those work outs coming in handy...

















Comments

Popular Posts