April showers bring... May showers

THE SUN IS SHINING TODAY!!!!!!!!

What makes that remarkable is that it rained a bunch in April and the very beginning of May was showing no signs of ending the rain streak. It's supposed to rain in April. In May, I have a higher expectation for nicer weather.

We had rain every day from May 1st to May 4th. Kinda crazy. The rain impacted our schedules a bit... and left one kid temporarily stranded outside... in a thunderstorm. Oops, I hate it when that happens.

On May 1st, we'd had no rain during the day. When I checked the forecast on my phone in the late afternoon, my weather app showed a 20% chance of rain/ thunderstorms. That seemed pretty low so I didn't worry about it. I checked the forecast because Alyssa had soccer training that evening- I always check to know what she/ I (I run while she trains) should wear so I need to know the temperature.

On our drive south on I-75 towards Alyssa's training field, we noticed that the sky was getting darker and I noticed, on my car's dash, that the temp was dropping. As we neared the soccer fields, the temp rose once again and the skies looked like they were clearing a bit. When I dropped Alyssa off, I told her that I'd leave the fields to go and run but I'd have my phone with me on the off chance that I'd need to come back early if it stormed.

I drove five minutes to the neighborhood where I run when she trains and, like I told Alyssa, I had my phone with me as I began my run. About 25 minutes into my run, big rain drops began to fall. By happenstance, I was near my car when it started to rain so I tossed my phone into my car so it wouldn't get wet and kept going on with my run. About five minutes later, I heard a huge clap of thunder. Uh oh. I figured that Alyssa's training would be delayed because of the thunder. I immediately turned around and headed to my car to go back to the soccer fields but I wasn't too worried. The complex has a covered area where players go in the event of a storm/ delay; I figured that's where the players would go whose parents drop their kids off and wouldn't immediately be at the fields if a storm occurred.

As soon as I got to my car and checked my phone, I saw that I had several calls/ texts from Alyssa and Donnie (Alyssa contacted Donnie when she couldn't get a hold of me) asking me to go to the fields (which is where I was headed) as training was canceled not merely delayed. I couldn't get a call through to Alyssa but I talked to Donnie and asked him to text Alyssa that I would be there in less than five minutes. That 20% chance of rain? Try 100% occurrence of heavy rain and storms. When I got to the fields, I saw that Alyssa was not at the shelter area (no one was- the kids who needed picked up were in the very front of the park- I couldn't even see the shelter). Alyssa finally saw me and ran to my car and got in (I think at this point, her phone was in her bag to prevent it from getting wet- even with a cover, in pouring down rain, she didn't want to take a chance).

After exchanging exclamations of the turn of weather events and a play by play of the events leading up to the cancellation, Alyssa called me out on not having my phone with me. I explained that I did have my phone with me... until I didn't. I asked her why she hadn't waited for me under the shelter. She said that no one could get to the shelter because it was surrounded by water (ergo, not really a shelter being inaccessible and all, lol). At this point I should mention that this day was the first day in over a week that they'd even attempted to have soccer training at this location. Such constant rain had fallen that the fields and parking lot were covered in water. A bunch of standing water surrounded the shelter from all of the rain we'd had. ALLLLL those events led to Alyssa standing outside in a thunderstorm before I could get to her. But the good news is that I did get to her, with her none the worse for wear than being soaking wet.

The following day, Thursday (rainy, of course), we found out that the soccer tournament that both Jacob and Alyssa were going to be in over the weekend (both of them were in the same one- how cool!) was canceled. The fields on which the tournament was to be held (McClure in nearby Lebanon) were flooded. It was the first time in the event's history that it had been canceled. The cancellation was a bummer. I wasn't going to be able to see any of the Saturday games as I would be out of town with Abby. But I'd get to see both of them play on Sunday. Oh well, at least we'd get to go to church since the tournament was canceled.

Friday was rainy but didn't impact us too much one way or the other. Abby and I drove to Indianapolis late Friday afternoon; thankfully, the rain had stopped so that by the time we were on the road, the day was just overcast (which I find to be perfect driving weather).

Saturday was rainy in Indianapolis but the dance competition we were at was indoors so we weren't too impacted by the rain. I had to walk out in the rain several times to get items from the car. I didn't have an umbrella with me the first time because it wasn't raining when Abby and I first arrived at the venue. The next couple of times that I went out to my car, I had to bring in too many bulky items to be able to hold an umbrella so I just got wet. I'm pretty sure my hair looked awful but because I assiduously avoided looking in the mirror the entire day, I can't say that with 100% certainty :). I texted the kids at home and asked them what they were doing. Both kids were inside. Because it was raining.

Then Sunday, May 5th came, along with the SUN.

One upside to all the rain is that my pea pants are thriving.

I have more pea plants in the ground in my actual garden. I threw a few seeds in this gorgeous(!) planter after I planted most of the seeds in the garden. I've loved watching these pea plants flourish- bonus that I have not had to water them since I planted them about a month ago.



Comments

Popular Posts