Summer break week 8
Summer break week 8 can be summed up as this: partial family road trip!
The girls and I took a last minute planned trip to Ontario, Canada to visit Katy, Scott and girls.
Jacob couldn't go because soccer try outs are so soon and he has conditioning everyday for soccer. Donnie couldn't go because he has way too much going on at work. I've gone at least two times with the kids over summer, without Donnie, but this this was the first time that Jacob didn't go either. Getting Jacob to and from soccer turned out to not be a problem (if it had been a problem, the girls and I wouldn't have gone). Malcolm took him home from open field and Donnie took him team training on Tuesday since it's in the evening now (it used to be during the day and that would have been a problem).
I was a little bit worried about Jacob being home most of the day by himself (except when he was at soccer) but he's been by himself many times before. He didn't seem fazed by our departure in the least bit; he said of course he'd miss me when I asked him before we left if he would (is it bad that I even felt the need to ask that?). I made sure there was plenty of food in the house for lunch that he could prepare for himself and gave him a refresher course on using the electric can opener. Thank goodness for factory made food at times like these!! Donnie was home in the evenings and they did some fun things together- eating out, going to the movies, etc. The morning that I left, I wrote Jacob a little note and placed some of his favorite candy treats in his room. He was fine without us :).
In hot Canada (it was Ontario's first week of real heat all summer), we had ourselves a very good time. I may have taken a picture or two or 1013 (the computer counted all the pictures, I didn't!). I will write several posts because I have so many pictures for each activity that we did there. Suffice it to say that we had a good time at each activity with the exception of going to Niagara Falls. It was a hot day that we went and Alyssa, especially, and Sophie, somewhat, did not want to be there and they made that known loud and clear. So we didn't bat 1000 but overall everything we did was super fun.
I'm so glad we were able to go. I'd been trying to find a good time to go all summer and it was hard to do. Ceci and Sophie went to school until almost the end of June, then they had other family visiting, then they went on vacation to Florida, then they made a quick trip to Indiana. For us, once August hits, it's virtually impossible to get away. Alyssa's soccer starts in early August and she can't miss that. As it was, she missed the last week of futsal training. It was just really hard to find a few days that would work for both us. I'm so thankful that we found some time to do it this week!
I'll write posts for some of the specific activities that we did- we had a formal tea, we went to Niagara Falls, we went tubing and we spent time at a Lake Erie beach.
This is a picture from the road as we were travelling. Most of the 6 1/2 to seven hour drive takes place in Ohio. We drive north and east up past Columbus and Cleveland. We drive in Pennsylvania for maybe 45 minutes and pass by Erie, PA. Then we're in New York for maybe an hour- maybe more. We make our way to Buffalo where we're really close to our destination just across the border. Of course within a minute of travelling on the interstate in New York, you're directed to a toll booth. Gotta love those progressives (or not!!- please Hillary don't win in 2016).
Getting ready to head into Canada...
The French factor is real...
When we arrived at Katy's house, it was late afternoon and really hot. Actually, prior to arriving, while we were still driving, I was listening to local radio stations. All the Buffalo and Niagara stations were talking about was how hot it was. The day truly was one of, if not the, hottest days of the year in that area. It was newsworthy. So, shortly after we arrived, the girls decided to go swimming. Katy and Scott have an awesome backyard for days such as these.
A pool and a slip n slid- WHAT?
Summer eating on the deck is the best...
Evening at Auntie's house almost always concludes with popcorn and movie- our first night was no exception.
The girls and I took a last minute planned trip to Ontario, Canada to visit Katy, Scott and girls.
Jacob couldn't go because soccer try outs are so soon and he has conditioning everyday for soccer. Donnie couldn't go because he has way too much going on at work. I've gone at least two times with the kids over summer, without Donnie, but this this was the first time that Jacob didn't go either. Getting Jacob to and from soccer turned out to not be a problem (if it had been a problem, the girls and I wouldn't have gone). Malcolm took him home from open field and Donnie took him team training on Tuesday since it's in the evening now (it used to be during the day and that would have been a problem).
I was a little bit worried about Jacob being home most of the day by himself (except when he was at soccer) but he's been by himself many times before. He didn't seem fazed by our departure in the least bit; he said of course he'd miss me when I asked him before we left if he would (is it bad that I even felt the need to ask that?). I made sure there was plenty of food in the house for lunch that he could prepare for himself and gave him a refresher course on using the electric can opener. Thank goodness for factory made food at times like these!! Donnie was home in the evenings and they did some fun things together- eating out, going to the movies, etc. The morning that I left, I wrote Jacob a little note and placed some of his favorite candy treats in his room. He was fine without us :).
In hot Canada (it was Ontario's first week of real heat all summer), we had ourselves a very good time. I may have taken a picture or two or 1013 (the computer counted all the pictures, I didn't!). I will write several posts because I have so many pictures for each activity that we did there. Suffice it to say that we had a good time at each activity with the exception of going to Niagara Falls. It was a hot day that we went and Alyssa, especially, and Sophie, somewhat, did not want to be there and they made that known loud and clear. So we didn't bat 1000 but overall everything we did was super fun.
I'm so glad we were able to go. I'd been trying to find a good time to go all summer and it was hard to do. Ceci and Sophie went to school until almost the end of June, then they had other family visiting, then they went on vacation to Florida, then they made a quick trip to Indiana. For us, once August hits, it's virtually impossible to get away. Alyssa's soccer starts in early August and she can't miss that. As it was, she missed the last week of futsal training. It was just really hard to find a few days that would work for both us. I'm so thankful that we found some time to do it this week!
I'll write posts for some of the specific activities that we did- we had a formal tea, we went to Niagara Falls, we went tubing and we spent time at a Lake Erie beach.
This is a picture from the road as we were travelling. Most of the 6 1/2 to seven hour drive takes place in Ohio. We drive north and east up past Columbus and Cleveland. We drive in Pennsylvania for maybe 45 minutes and pass by Erie, PA. Then we're in New York for maybe an hour- maybe more. We make our way to Buffalo where we're really close to our destination just across the border. Of course within a minute of travelling on the interstate in New York, you're directed to a toll booth. Gotta love those progressives (or not!!- please Hillary don't win in 2016).
Getting ready to head into Canada...
The French factor is real...
When we arrived at Katy's house, it was late afternoon and really hot. Actually, prior to arriving, while we were still driving, I was listening to local radio stations. All the Buffalo and Niagara stations were talking about was how hot it was. The day truly was one of, if not the, hottest days of the year in that area. It was newsworthy. So, shortly after we arrived, the girls decided to go swimming. Katy and Scott have an awesome backyard for days such as these.
A pool and a slip n slid- WHAT?
Mommy and girls
Sisters together at last- hadn't seen Katy since December- way too long.
Summer eating on the deck is the best...
... or eating by the pool if you happen to see a bee on the deck.
YUM!
Evening at Auntie's house almost always concludes with popcorn and movie- our first night was no exception.

Comments
Post a Comment