Weekending
We were worried about the parking situation because her apartment has no designated parking for those who opted out of the multi hundred dollar per month parking pass. We got lucky, however, and found a spot not far from her place. Also, her boyfriend stopped by to help us get everything out of the car and he mentioned that in a pinch, either that day, or anytime we need a parking spot, there's a possibility of parking at his fraternity house. It has, apparently, more spots than guys who purchased a parking pass and there are not assigned spots. It sounds too good to be true but it's good to know that in theory we could have a parking spot if need be.
Alyssa's boyfriend's fraternity- we walked to his house to meet him but we didn't go inside. I remarked that the house was stately and looked like a southern plantation. He told us that it actually had once been a stop on the Underground Railroad- secret rooms and tunnels were found that lead all the way out to the Olentangy River. He also said that this building had once been the governor's mansion for the governor of Ohio. So lots of history which was interesting to learn about.
Back to move in- Alyssa's apartment complex had those big bins on wheels and we were able to get everything out of my car in two bin loads. Alyssa's place is really nice- it's new so everything is, well, new and nice. I won't post all of the pictures that I took- I may write more about that later. We got everything out of the boxes and bags that we'd packed and started to arrange items in her room. We made notes of things I still needed to bring to her place (we knew we were headed back to Columbus on Saturday). We left her place briefly to get dinner. We found a Mediterranean restaurant and got food to go. We sat outside to eat and chatted for a little bit before I had to leave for home. I was relieved that everything worked out!
lamb, rice, lettuce and cheese bowl...
Our outdoor dining spot...
Friday was another early morning for me- this time it was 3:30 am when I woke up for good (I think 4:00 am was the latest I slept in during the week…). I ran and then got ready for work. When I got home from work in the early afternoon, I allowed myself to relax at home for a little bit (I probably allowed myself to relax too much because the afternoon got almost got away from me!) and then went out to Wal-mart to get more items for Alyssa that we realized we'd forgotten and/or that became obvious she needed once we saw the layout of her room.
Once home, it was almost time to head out to a really causal dinner. We were meeting some friends at a local food truck spot to get some dinner from the food truck. It was great to see our friends, catch up, and laugh. The sweat bees that swarmed us were another story but nothing is ever perfect, right??
An ambitious name and description for a potato chip!! (I do appreciate the effort, however!)
The food truck just happened to be in the parking lot of Goldie's Ice Cream in Centerville so we had to have dessert, too :). Having this Biscoff sundae seemed like a summer full circle event. I first had this sundae in late May during what seemed like the beginning of summer. Here it was nearing the end- the sundae tasted great (of course!) but it did hit a bit differently.
Once home, we watched a show in the series we're watching, I Will Find You and then we went to bed.
Saturday morning I slept in until close to 7:00 AM which was all kinds of wonderful- good from a sleep perspective- I know I needed it. However, I realized that I was in a bit of a time crunch (there truly is something to be said for those 3:30- 4:00 am get out of bed times- you do get a lot done even if the things you get done (especially toward the end of the day) are done in a state of fatigue!) since we needed to get to Columbus (about an hour and a half drive) to bring items to Alyssa, for Donnie to build some small pieces of furniture/help her hang items in her room, and get back home in time for our evening plans.
I ran, showered, and then got busy making zucchini bread to bring to Alyssa. Waiting for the bread to finish baking did delay us by a few minutes from our original goal time of leaving but the look on her face when she saw the bread and felt the still warmness of it in her hands and exclaimed how grateful she was for the bread made the slight bickering that had ensued between Donnie and me when he realized that I was baking bread and it would delay our leaving before we left all worth it :). Aaaaand we got everything done and back in time for our evening plans so it was all good, lol.
I also remembered to pack these refrigerator pickles for Alyssa that I'd made a few days prior. Spears and slices 'cuz when you're making it yourself, a jar can have some of each :). The cucumbers, dill, and garlic all came from the garden so there is that, too, that makes the jar seem that much more brag worthy, lol. Kidding, sort of. What's the point of having a garden if you don't brag about mention how neat it is to use/consume that which comes from the garden??
Another carload!
Blog friends are among the best givers of practical advice and
While Donnie was putting together some furniture and Alyssa was putting away more of the items we brought to her, I walked to a Target that's nearby. For one thing, I was meeting our neighbor's son there to give him something. Our neighbors had moved their son (a freshmen) into OSU earlier in the week. Something they'd packed (and that their college student needed) had slid under the seat and they didn't notice that they hadn't unloaded it so the parents left OSU with the item in the car. Our neighbor texted Donnie on Friday to see if perchance we were going to OSU soon and if so asked if we could give the item to their son. It worked out since we were heading up that way. Anyway, I met my our neighbor's son (gosh, I remember the day he was born so clearly- I saw his dad in the driveway and asked if the baby was a boy or a girl (they hadn't found out) and I can hear my neighbor's voice proudly telling me details of the baby- his name, etc and I can remember days of hanging out with his mom as our kids played in the cul- de sac and how this boy potty trained himself before the age of two (WHO does that?) and how he taught himself math from being obsessed with Lego's (from the Lego instructions he picked up on multiplication) and is, in fact, a math savant, and I remember when he first started playing rec soccer and he'd score ten goals a game and went on to play club soccer at a high level and could have played soccer in college but he's super into academics and wants to concentrate solely on his difficult major) and chatted with him for a bit. I resisted telling him I remember the day he was born, etc. seeing as how standing in front of a Target when he was with a friend to pick up his item did not seem like the appropriate environment in which to impart sappy recollections of his babyhood/boyhood and so I handed him the item, briefly exchanged pleasantries with him and then went inside Target to buy tape that we needed to tape photos to mats for Alyssa's decor. And that was that.
Target had a photo display area
and lots of game day clothes (and half clothes)
There was a CFA next to the Target so I picked up lunch for us and brought it back to Alyssa's place.
We were with Alyssa for about four hours- it didn't feel super rushed though it would have been nice to have even more time. But her room is about 90% set up and she can do the rest on her own.
We drove home and were home for about half an hour before we left for Dayton to see a Dayton Dragons baseball game. Of course it had rained in the afternoon and so the ground was wet as we walked into the stadium. The theme of the game was armed forces and there were patriotic displays and representatives from various branches of the military.
We had a suite as part of Donnie's work event. Instead of a company picnic, the owners decided to buy a suite and provide, food drink and game tickets to everyone in the firm and their families. It was a fun evening!
There was so much food- burgers, sides, a taco bar and a dessert tray
Richard, one of Donnie's colleagues, and me
Gem and me
Donnie's office manager brought made in China America swag for the kids and kids at heart.
We got home late and then spent an additional half hour outside feeding a stray kitten that was in our driveway when we arrived home. Bless his little heart- we looked for him in the morning but couldn't find him.
Sunday, we did nothing. Not.a.thing. (Mostly) It was wonderful and restful. We watched church from home- not something we normally do unless we have a conflict. No conflict but we both felt like we needed a day to be at home. I baked a second loaf of zucchini bread (the batter was already combined) and did one load of laundry. The rest of the day consisted of reading, talking on the phone with friends and family/texting the kids and some light clean up/organizing. Donnie picked up pizza for dinner.
The loaf I baked looked good- this went into the freezer after it cooled down. Will get it out soon when we have friends over for dinner.
Linking up with Holly and Sarah for Hello Monday:




























What a full weekend! It's good to take a day to rest/be lazy and you did enough Friday and Saturday. Whew! I bet the house was quiet yesterday. These transitions are hard on the parents. Your zucchini bread looks good! That is really interesting about the fraternity house. I will ask my sister if she knew that. I don't know if I've ever told you, but my sorority sisters and I visited my sister at OSU when we were 23 and my sister was a sophomore or junior and we decided we wanted to go back to college there because we saw the Greek row and everyone was outside and it looked just like a movie.
ReplyDeleteThat's funny about you wanting to go back to college! Indiana U was very Greek and I think its Greek row looks even more picturesque that OSU. At IU, many of the Greek homes were on one long street (at OSU there are several streets and the streets bend/curve so there isn't as much of a continuous line). It was a full weekend and I was grateful for a day at home on Sunday!
DeleteBusy weekend! But sounds like the kind that makes you feel accomplished. Can I just say that I appreciate when you mentioned the slight bickering about the bread and leave time? Blogging sometimes makes you believe everyone lives a perfect life and we all know that's not true! Hope you have a good week.
ReplyDeleteThanks! It was a busy but good weekend! Oh, I know- it’s easy to avoid any negative (and who wants to dwell on that!) but bickering is part of any relationship at times and may as well be acknowledged occasionally!
DeleteAwww looks like a very successful move in for you and Alyssa! You are such a great Mama. How did you feel leaving this time? Does it get a little easier? Glad you had something fun to do that night. I love her room- so pretty and spacious!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Holly! I would say it does get a little easier. It seems more inevitable or something.
DeleteYour weekend made me tired, but what a great and full one. I am sure you were exhausted after all of that by Sunday, so I'm glad you had one day of rest. You needed that! Here's to a great week for you, my friend!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jen! It was a good weekend and I’m grateful for a day of rest!
DeleteSounds like you were busy!
ReplyDeleteWe were busy for the most part!
DeleteThat sounds like a lovely weekend. Glad the move in went well. That is a beautiful fraternity house.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Joanne! I’ve been told it’s not so nice on the inside, sadly #fratguys. But the outside is beautiful!
DeleteIt sounds like the move in went well for Alyssa and that is great about the parking spot at the boyfriends house, it does look so full of history!
ReplyDeleteThe catch up with friends sounds good, apart from the bees! Eek!
That is good you got to sleep a little later on Saturday and how lovely to make the bread for your girl.
The baseball game sounds like a good one.
Thanks, Kim! The game was fun and I’m glad everything worked out well with the move in and with getting together with friends.
DeleteThat Frat House! Wowza gorgeous! And history to go with it!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad all went well with the move-in.
And of course, I need to say… Go Buckeyes! I love my Buckeyes!
Happy New Week to You!
Thanks, Nancy! I’m grateful as well. I’m actually not a big Buckeye fan but Alyssa sure is :). The fraternity house is beautiful!
DeleteWOW - you know how to pack a weekend! Goodness but I wish I had half your energy! I wonder if getting up at 3:30 would do the trick for me? (Somehow, I doubt it.) That is early!! Glad everyone is settled in now. Here's to a great school year ahead!! Happy Monday, friend!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jennifer! Everything worked out well for which I’m grateful! I’m also grateful my energy level has been pretty high despite not getting a lot of sleep lately.
DeleteHi Friend,
ReplyDeleteSending a hug. Thank you for the honesty in your posts, love that about you.
I love the Frat house and if you have time to do some research and tell us more, I would love that. :-)
Sending another hug.... I know this week will be hard.
Love, Carla
Thanks, Carla! Gotta keep it real :). I will do so about the fraternity! Thanks so much for the virtual hug!!
DeleteWhat a full weekend Maria! I am glad you took some rest time on Sunday. That fraternity is steeped in tradition of the Old South and glad y'all had some help with the move. That ice cream looks so good, as does all of the desserts you share here :). Oh, I love a suite at a local baseball game....food, a/c, and still baseball with friends!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Marilyn! Yes, suites are the way to go :). The best of several worlds- can be social, get lots of good food and watch the game! The ice cream was so good and I plan to make the sundaes at home again soon with guests!
DeleteYou certainly packed a lot into Thursday through Saturday, so definitely the rest on Sunday was well-deserved. Those early mornings! I'm worn out just reading about this. That frat house is impressive and huge, even by Texas/southern standards!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Tanya! A relaxing Sunday was just what we needed... I have continued to wake up early this week- just glad it does not seem to be impacting me poorly. Yes, I think the frat house is very impressive and I think it looks southern and stately!
DeleteYour bread, both loaves, looks delicious! That is good that you can think ahead to make and freeze something for a future event :) Glad the move in for Alyssa went well. It’s always nice to plan on that second day for all those “little” things that are missed the first time around.
ReplyDeleteWe stayed home from church on Sunday, which is something we rarely do. Our daughter had some friends stop by about 8 o’clock to pick up some items that she had been storing for them so I ended up making breakfast and visiting with them before they headed out to drive to New York! We got to watch our service from home and then get ready for this week, which is going to be extremely busy. Maybe one of these days I will log about it all?? I tell you, it’s 11 PM on Monday night and I’m just now getting around to at least catch up with all of you that keep up better than me ;) I have a 4:45 AM wake up tomorrow – I could not do it on a regular basis, I know that for sure! Good for you….I agree, getting things done in the morning is the best!
Thanks, Jenni! You're busy doing many activities which makes writing/documenting them more challenging. I'm rarely super active (save times like Thurs- Sat!) which gives me more time to write :). It's always great to hear from you in a comment or blog post but I know you stay very busy! How wonderful to cook breakfast for your daughter's friends and get to visit them. Watching church is such a great option! It's definitely not the same but at least you get to hear the message which is really the most important thing. I hope 4:45 didn't come too early for you! I woke up around 4:00 am- grrrr- but I was in bed at a decent hour and don't feel too tired (though it's only 6:30, lol).
DeleteI'm tired just reading all of this! That zucchini bread looks amazing..so do your pickles! It sounded like a busy weekend, to say the least! The fraternity house looks so nice! I loved going to Target after move in day..even though it would be wiped out most of the time. A Biscoff sundae sounds delish. Your hubby's co-worker looks like a character!
ReplyDelete