Weekending
Linking up with Holly and Sara for Hello Monday:
Had a nice, super cold weekend. I guess we're in what they call a polar vortex? It does not bother me! It's going to pass :). Now, I say that sitting literally right in front of the fireplace with gas powered flames that are mere inches and a glass partition away warming me. Will I complain to whomever is walking besides me outside? Absolutely. But from where I'm sitting, literally, I'm not complaining one bit.
Friday I didn't sub- it was nice to have another day at home! Jacob was available during most of the day so he went with me to Sam's Club to get items for (mostly) Donnie's work. I had to run to Aldi for a couple of things and get gas. I ran on the treadmill and prepped for a dish I was bringing to a breakfast on Saturday morning. The prepping consisted of sauteing onions and cooking sausage. While those were cooking, I prepped something for us to have later on Friday- Buffalo turkey dip. I have a lot of leftover cooked turkey and I want it to get used. (I have a tendency to put leftovers in the freezer and then pitch them when doing a freezer clean out.) Jacob loves Buffalo chicken dip and I was sure that using turkey would not impact the overall flavor much or at all.
While I worked in the kitchen, I listened to a podcast by Allie Beth Stuckey which was really uplifting to me and in case it edifies anyone else, I am sharing it here. ABS is a Christian whose podcast, Relatable, concerns the intersection of the culture and Christianity. She had a guest on her show named Harmeet Dhillon who is the Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights at the US Dept. of Justice. She referenced the importance of federal laws such as the Civil Rights Act of 1965 and the Fair Housing Act. One way where the latter act will be utilized- hopefully it won't need to be!- is if the mayor of NYC's tenant director Cea Weaver effectuates (or tries to) her desire to discriminate against people based on the color of their skin. Here is what Harmeet Dhillon said specifically:
"...when I look at Zoran Mamdani's, you know, tenant activist person, say, white people are going to have a different relationship to property in the future, that is directly at odds with the Fair Housing Act. You can't do that in America.... if I had to rely solely on New York law, I couldn't do anything about that then..."
Thank goodness for our current administration! I don't have skin (no pun intended) in the NYC property game. I'm just a simple gal from the Midwest living on her family's small plot of land who doesn't think that people should be discriminated against based on an immutable physical trait about them. And is grateful for laws on the book which prevents such things and that we have staff in thein the US Dept. of Justice who feels the same way :).
Allie Beth Stuckey uses a phrase that I need to keep in mind about God and the world, "His eternal plan of redemption is always going off without a hitch." God knows what is going to happen and is in control. Whether private property, capitalism and/or free speech become antiquated relics of the West, whether Christians are persecuted as the anti Christian zeitgeist among elites increases, whether chaos continues to be a goal of agitators, ultimately doesn't matter. I mean it matters a great deal to those of us here on earth. But eternally, it doesn't matter except how we react to what happens here on earth. As Christians, do we trust and love God, love others, speak truth, and strive to bear fruits of the spirit? That is all that matters eternally. While that is no reason to not care about current events (and I would argue that one way to show our love for others is to be an advocate of and advance laws that don't pervert justice, that prevent chaos, that don't discriminate based on immutable characteristics, that protect the right to life for the most vulnerable, etc.), it is a reason to calm the anxiousness about the state of the world that can easily take hold of the heart.
Anyway, like I said, it was just a great podcast to hear and it put me in a good mood that set the tone for me for the rest of the day.
Saturday, I slept in a little and realized I was going to have to skedaddle if I wanted to make it to the breakfast at church on time. I sure was glad that I prepped the day before! I made sausage egg muffins and I already had the sausage and onions cooked. I just needed to whisk the cream and eggs and then put everything in muffin cups and bake. Thank goodness snow that was predicted didn't happen. Even s(n)o(w), I thought these paper muffin liners were perfect for the sausage muffins that I made.
This Tupperware container was my mom's- it's super old!
I was just slightly late to the breakfast but not terribly so. One of the ladies, Libby, spoke very encouragingly for a short while and then we ate. I enjoyed some great conversation and got to know some of the ladies better. I was glad that I went even though I realized that I'd be late and I hate to be late anywhere...
On my way home, I stopped at the Farm on Central in Carlise since I pass it on my way home. We pass it every Sunday on the way to church but Sunday is the one day it's closed. The store is pretty small but is packed with a wide variety of produce and locally produced products like natural honey, home made soaps, natural herbal remedies and more.
I could have spent a fortune! I did sort of spend a fortune on carrots- $6.99 for these but how was I supposed to resist??
And I had to buy the top seller in the store...
Once home, we planned on going to a movie theater to watch a movie there but as we were deciding on what to see, we found games to watch on TV. Donnie and Jacob's team, University of Cincinnati played number 2 in the nation (not anymore!) Iowa in basketball and won and then started watching football playoffs.
The guys decided to have Skyline Chili for dinner in honor of Cincinnati's win (Skyline Chili is a Cincinnati based iconic restaurant with locations in the tri state area) and because they like it. I don't care for it all so I made myself a delicious salad with my new greens and carrots :)
Sunday morning, I slept in (I've been sleeping so well, thankfully!) and we went to church. Heard a good message and then I was home for the rest of the day. I relaxed, cleaned up, talked to my sister on the phone and then later Donnie's dad and uncle came over to watch football.











Your salad looks so good! I am a sucker for markets like that. The tricolor carrots are something Trader Joe's has and I think they look so pretty! I love roasted carrots.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Amy! I didn't realize that Trader Joe's carries the tri colored carrots. I feel like there's a difference in taste but maybe it's just my imagination since the color is different :).
DeleteI enjoy Allie Beth's podcast and her way of putting in to words so clearly much of what I want to say. And now this weekend we have a regular Sunday morning church service disrupted by agitators.Talk about Nazi Germany! I love the pretty carrots and like to roast the colorful ones sometimes. Your part of the country is having a sports moment : ) Im rooting for your team and especially your QB tonite!! Also the college championship should be played on a Saturday. College football is a Saturday sport. Just my .02. Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Joyce! The college football final game used to be on a Saturday night. I forget what the rationale was for moving it to Monday. Agree that it should be on a Saturday night. I'm nervous for the guys and having to play in Miami though hopefully it's a homecoming moment for Mandoza and he wins in his hometown. So much violence and chaos- no one batted an eyelash when Obama utilized ICE to nab those in our country illegally. Hmmm, what has changed?
DeleteHow fun to have a breakfast with friends at church on Saturday! I am also rooting for your team tonight, as I think most people I know are. I love the rainbow carrots as it just feels like an elevated vegetable to me :). Have a good Monday!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Marilyn! Exactly about the carrots- I feel like I'm doing something healthier eating them than eating other veggies :). I sure hope the Hoosiers pull it off tonight :).
DeleteSounds like a cozy and great weekend- tis' the season for sure- I think we are in a polar vortex here too- trying to just move forward and realize, as you wrote, it will pass!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Holly! It was a cozy and great weekend- that's my excuse for not doing much, lol :). You had the same kind of weather and were busy from start to finish!!
DeleteHi, It sounded like a fun weekend. I love that your son helped you go to Sam's Club. A little extra muscle to help with the loading and unloading. :-)
ReplyDeleteI was so glad, too, Carla! He was a big help- I needed to get two large water packs among other things and they are super heavy!
DeleteHa! Fires are the ONLY reason I can tolerate winter I think. Our Cookeville house did not have a fireplace - BIG negative. I always want to be someone who preps food but I rarely do. . .I don’t know why? It probably alleviates so much stress closer to go-time (like for you on Saturday!).
ReplyDeleteI have listened to Relatable based on your suggestion - this sounds like another good one! Being in banking and all the regulations around fair lending, I do feel like our government tries really hard to take discrimination out of these decisions but people will always be people, right? It’s the awareness of it and recognizing it when you see it, right? But you can’t recognize it if you don’t KNOW about it. It’s all.so.much. Differences are what make us stronger, right? No one in our family understand Laura’s desire to become a citizen of that city - I hope her Light makes a difference!!
That produce you bought - and the salad you made with it - looks terrific 🙂
Good luck to the Hoosiers tonight!!
Laura is going to NYC?? Oh wow- the city does need the Light! Our first house did not have a fireplace and I do not take ours in this house for granted. You're right about people- thank goodness for regulation. I'm definitely a fan of small government except in instances like this. I guess there's sometimes good things to come out of big government...
DeleteI've been sleeping really well lately too and I am so thankful for that! Your salad looks delicious.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Joanne! I'm glad you're sleeping well. I don't take it for granted and it sounds like you don't either :).
DeleteI really like how ABS explains things and then brings it all back to the word of God. It is reassuring when she says that nothing is a surprise to God. Oh my, that tupperware mixing pitcher/bowl brought me right back to my childhood. We had one too. My mom downsized so many times in her later years, and I wish I still had so many of her things. Hope your week is off to a good start.
ReplyDeleteSame, Tanya, about my mom's things. I have but a few things from her kitchen as does my sister. When we moved my mom out of her house, we were in such a time crunch and were not thinking of every day things as keepsakes. My sister and I each took a few items. We both wish we'd taken more...
DeleteI hate it when it's cold and will complain to anyone who will listen. lol It sounds like a lovely weekend and breakfast on Saturday. It is so easy to spend lots in farm shops. I always do but the produce is always nicer than from the supermarket.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Kim! For sure the huge disadvantage is the cost of that better for you produce :(. It's nice to buy in small quantities.
Delete