Weekending

 Linking up with Holly and Sarah for Hello Monday:




Had a nice Friday at school! I mentioned before that I had experienced some odd interactions with staff earlier in the school year. It really had me trepidatious about subbing and I'd only subbed half a day during the week prior to Friday's full day. On Friday, I was pleased to have very much "normal" interactions with staff and the students were, by and large, well behaved and they worked hard at the assignments that the teacher wanted them to work on.

Around noon, I texted Jenni to finalize plans for Friday. She and her husband were traveling up from Tennessee to see family in our area and she'd reached out to see if we were available on Friday. We'd made no definite plans regarding where we'd meet. We decided to decide on Friday and while I texted her, she texted me 😀. I told her we'd love to have them at our house for a meal but was fine to meet at a restaurant. She said they'd come to our house so we had plans!

I skedaddled from school to a couple of stores to buy items for our meal and then once home, got busy cleaning up the house. I wasn't expecting her or her husband to run a finger across surfaces to check for dust and/or to note the absence of or existence of dust on the baseboards but it made sense to clean up, nonetheless. I knew I would be glad that I got the place "company ready" on Saturday when the house looked good and was clean :).

We had such a nice time with Jenni and her husband Tom. Tom grew up in the same town as Donnie and they graduated from the same high school. The high school is a big one and they were one grade apart. They couldn't recall each other but that isn't too surprising. They did know a number of the same people and Donnie is certain he crossed paths with Tom (they also lived pretty close to each other). Then we discovered that the three of them- Jenni, Tom and Donnie all worked at the same place in high school! It was at a movie theater and there may not have been much of an overlap based on when each of them worked there. They all knew many of the same people. Donnie has run into many of them over the years and was able to provide updates on what some of the former employees were up to. They all agreed that it was a great place to work and they all have fond memories of that particular job.

Donnie grilled up some steak that turned out great as usual. I had made salad before our guests arrived as well as potatoes. I also put together this board with items we already had and some I'd picked up after school on Friday. Everything turned out good!

We took this picture late- like right as they were leaving. We had such a good time getting to know them better and we look forward to seeing them again!

My SIL sent me this from their neck of the woods on Friday evening.  My niece was on the homecoming court of her high school. She didn't win the title of queen but what an honor to be on the court! She is beautiful on the outside but more importantly, she's beautiful on the inside where it counts eternally. She has a beautiful singing voice and wants to study music ministry at a Christian college. 

Saturday morning, I actually slept in until around 7:00! It had been a late night but that definitely does not mean that I'll sleep in the next morning. Was thankful for a good nights rest. It was time to do something with the tomatoes that I'd picked the previous two days. One of them had already started to rot and let me tell you, rotten tomatoes do not smell good! Even me with my scent impairment could smell the distinct odor. It was time to "fix" the tomatoes to turn them into something that would last. 

The pan on the very right (off the stove) was my ice bath for the tomatoes. The pot in the middle was where I boiled the tomatoes for a minute to then transfer to the ice bath to make taking the skins off easier. The pan on the left would be what I sauteed the tomatoes in. Lots of time and effort to secure the future consumption of the tomatoes in a different form than they were on Saturday!


Deskinned and then into the sauce pan they went.


While the tomatoes were on the stove, I cut up garden peppers to make another batch of hot pepper jelly. Jacob loves the jelly but requested that I make it hotter so I added another half of a jalapeno. 


I noticed my fingers bore testament to working with water and wet vegetables.


I don't have pictures of my finished products but I ended up with hot hot pepper jelly and two jars of tomato sauce and one container of tomato juice.


Tomato skin and pepper detritus about ready to be taken out to the compost bin to complete the circle of life... To their birthplace the remains shall return.




After cleaning up the kitchen, I relaxed for a little while and snacked on some candied pecans that Jenni and Tom brought. YUM! What a treat! Then I ran on the treadmill and showered.


My oldest brother drove down to watch the IU football game. Eleventh in the nation, BABY!! That was before the win on Saturday (albeit to an unranked team so who knows how it will impact the rankings). It was a good game with IU being down in the 4th quarter and scoring very late to take the lead. 



We got Jet's pizza for dinner with my brother BOGO for the win/lunch on Sunday :). After my brother left, Donnie and I started a movie but stopped watching it after about an hour into it. Maybe it's our age, but life seems too short to continue watching something that we don't really like. It was the number one movie in America according to the Netflix. Oh dear. We didn't care for it at all. I think it was called Carry On.


Sunday, we went to church where we heard a great message and then we were home for the rest of the day. We have a busy week ahead and I was grateful for a day of staying in after church.

I picked these guys in the garden after church. I do think this is the most peppers that I've picked at once. I was going to plant two jalapeno plants in the garden but ended up just doing one like last year. One is plenty! As it was, I gave neighbors some jalapenos and I will likely give away more. 


I forgot to mention that I got this guy inflated and on the patio landing. Donnie rolled his eyes at the silliness of it but he hasn't complained too much...














Comments

  1. The tray of snacks looks good and how fun to reminisce and get to know this couple better. Candied pecans are a great treat and always seem better in the fall too. Happy Monday to you friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn! Nuts do seem fall like and sugared makes them so good tasting! It was great to meet Jenni and her husband. One of the blessings about blogging has been getting to meet sweet ladies :).

      Delete
  2. Your snack board is beautiful! What a fun and cozy weekend. Glad your subbing experience was better this time- geesh! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly! I was relieved, too, about subbing. Thanks about the board. It was fun to put together!

      Delete
  3. What a sma word! Can you decipher that without my character between K and M? Were those cheese from Aldi? So cute and so fun to put a message on it! What a nice weekend showing hospitality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! I guess you're right about hospitality. I hadn't thought of it like that but you are right. I like it when people come over and don't view it as a chore though of course there is always some amount of work involved. The cheese was from Aldi. The wedge cheese had mango in it. Soooo good!

      Delete
  4. How fun to meet Jenni! Had you met in person before? I feel like the tomatoes were so good this year. We had a bumper crop from just one plant, which turned into a literal tree. I am going to miss fresh tomatoes from the vine. I'm glad the subbing went well too. Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce! I had never met Jenni before. It was great to meet her especially since we knew we had some connections. We didn't realize how many until they arrived and we were able to chat properly. That's great that your tomato plant did so well. I'm assuming your plant is still producing fruit?

      Delete
  5. I am glad things were normal with the other staff at school.
    How lovely to have Jenni and her husband visit. That was great Donnie knew so many of the same people that they did. You are a great host, the board you put together looks amazing!
    Good job with the tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! I enjoyed putting together the board and thought that it did turn out well The cookies were the star of it and I did not make them!!

      Delete
  6. That sounds like such a fun weekend! I hadn't read Jenni's blog before but how neat that her and her husband had so much in common with Donnie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne! It was neat to make all the connections and to have a good time with people we'd never met before!

      Delete
  7. How fun that you were able to meet Jenni, and what a small world it is. Hope your week is off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya! Yes, it is a small world and it was so neat to connect with Jenni :).

      Delete
  8. Well done gardener... I love all the photos of you putting up your produce, makes one feel good that you grew it, cared for it, harvested it and made it into something delicious for family and friends.
    I enjoyed reading all about your weekend.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carla! I know that you know that feeling of pride in eating and preparing items made from garden produce.

      Delete
  9. You’re a great hostess my friend. Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Regine! It was a good weekend for hosting and I'm glad we were able to do it :).

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a great weekend! Is that first time you had met Jenni? Fun to meet and get to know others "IRL"! And the food looks and sounds so yummy! What a productive Saturday. Not sure I would have been able to handle all the tomatoe "goodness" but kudos for all your efforts!! Happy Monday to you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! Yes, it was the first time I'd met her. I am not a fan of tomatoes but I do use sauce and juice in some of my winter soups so I plan to use that which I've made with the tomatoes later in the fall and winter.

      Delete
  11. Your snacking board looks yummy and those are some impressive autumn cookies around the edge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pamela! I can't take credit for making the cookies but they were definitely a good find for the board at Sam's Club :).

      Delete
  12. Awwww, what a great post!!! I am JUST NOW (Tuesday morning) getting around to reading anything on the internet at all. It was SUCH a busy (and fun!!!) weekend. LOVED meeting you and Donnie - it was a highlight of the month for sure :). Standing at your front door (again, the hospitality was next level - it's just "different" in the South) I looked at Tom and said, "this is what internet dating must be like" - ha! Although we met on a blind date, at least our friends that set us up were there with us and knew one another :). Driving back to South Lebanon he asked if you were "who I thought you'd be" and I said, "yes! I already knew a lot b/c of the blogs" - I don't think people who don't do this understand how well we get to know one another. Anyway. . .such a good time Friday night and the food was fabulous. We passed the street Donnie grew up on Saturday and he pointed it out to me - sincerely, they could have ridden bikes to one another's houses growing up, without crossing any major streets!
    Anyway, garden goodness looks great and glad you got to see your brother Saturday and both our teams (and OSU) had wins, although ours was "just barely". I hope you knock on my door someday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenni! Loved meeting you and Tom- I knew we´d hit it off and am so grateful that you took the time to include us into your weekend plans when I know your time is short when you´re up this way. I hope we can meet up again!

      Delete
  13. That sounded like a really fun evening with friends. Your board looked awesome! That must have been a lot of work to process all of those veggies but worth it! I'm glad subbing went well and no uncomfortable interactions!! It looked like a great weekend!We also turn a movie off if we can't get into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! There are too many other things we´d rather do than watch a movie that we don´t care for! Thanks about the board. It was fun to put together!

      Delete
  14. You guys know how to host!! That board looks fabulous. Congrats to your niece on making homecoming court. That’s a great honor. She sounds like an amazing young lady.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts