One year post surgery
It was Easter Sunday last year (April 1st), that I had Achilles tendon surgery. At first, with the injury occurring on Thursday, I was in denial that I needed medical care (which is why I waited two days to seek medical treatment). I was only worried about an infection when I sought medical care and never would have believed that I would be in surgery the next day and that the recovery time would be so horrific.
But reality is reality no matter what we want to believe or feel emotionally! The scientific fact is that recovery is a long time. I was in a cast for six weeks and could put no weight on my foot and then was in a boot for six more weeks. Because the injury was to my right ankle, I couldn't drive for the twelve weeks post recovery- when I was in a cast and when I was in a boot.
The immediate aftermath of the surgery meant that my world shifted enormously. I went from moving a lot- most days getting at least 15k steps in a day due to running most days as well as walking when the weather was nice- to virtual immobility. I went from having a lot of sub jobs lined up for the months of April and May to not working (I suppose I technically could have but movement was so cumbersome and I was so slow that canceling the sub jobs made the most sense). I went from assisting Alyssa in any way that I could; Alyssa was on the clock for still living at home and I was trying to make the most of our last few months together- to her being of utmost assistance to me when she wasn't at work or school.
I won't go into all of the particulars of that time in this post- heaven knows I had the time to write about all that very particular time in my life in real time, so to speak. I've alluded to some of the most recent post surgery things that I've noticed; I'll use this space as a repository of them here:
- At the risk of being super melodramatic, I'm not certain that I will ever heal properly. By that I mean, I often still walk with a limp. It's most notable when I've been sitting for a while and then get up to walk. My right ankle/foot is stiff and I can't walk normally. Maybe this will go away with time. But it seems like... a decent bit of time has passed already and it hasn't gone away.
- Also, this may fall in the super melodramatic camp, too, but I'm not sure my legs are ever going to look equal to each other. My right leg, below the knee, is noticeably less muscular. Of course I lost muscle in the three months that the area was in a cast or boot. But I've been out of the boot for way longer than I was in the cast/boot so it seems like that muscle should be about where it was before.
- Notwithstanding my limp and the asymmetry in my leg muscles, it may sound odd, but I have been running since I was cleared to run, which was three months (I think?) post being out of the boot. I run quite slowly but run I do, nonetheless. (Running is also a reason I think it's odd that my calf muscle hasn't been restored to its normal size? Like, it's getting used- why isn't that evident??)
- Something else kinda weird movement wise is something that I can't do with my right foot. If I stand on just my right foot and try to lift up on my foot such that I'm standing with the weight on my toes, I can't do it. My foot won't budge if I try to push up on it. I can do it easily when I stand on just my left foot. What's interesting is that if I stand normally with both feet on the ground and lift both of my feet off the ground, my right foot will go up. So I can do the motion, I just can't do the motion when it's just that foot trying to do it.
- Another odd thing physically is the back of my ankle- so my heel, is swollen. I won't post any pictures because it's really quite unpleasant looking. But basically, there's a lump where there shouldn't be a lump. The sight of it is less concerning to me (though it does look bad and I certainly don't like that) than the practical implications. Wearing shoes that cover the heel (ie, most types of shoes!) make that area very prone to blisters, even when I wear socks because the lump means my ankle is even closer to the back of the shoe. I have to always have bandages on the back of my heel to offer even more padding than just socks. Blisters are soooo painful and I've experienced more of them in the past nine months than I ever want to! I'm grateful that the extreme cold of winter and hopefully even spring is past and I'll be able to wear open backed shoes like Birkenstocks, flip flops, mules, etc every day. Obviously running precludes wearing open heeled shoes so if I want to exercise, I can't completely eliminate wearing closed heeled shoes.










I can't imagine how long last spring and summer felt for you. I am glad you are mostly healed and getting stronger each week.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Marilyn! I am grateful as well for each step that I get to take :).
DeleteAwww - I bet you still have healing to do? In the last photo, I see a big improvement, plus you are tan. I have done an informal study and no one has equally sized calves. My left calf is bigger and I think it is due to driving stick (the clutch) for so many years? But, who knows. None of us are truly symmetrical. The heel part of shoes would really bother me. I wonder if that is scar tissue that hasn't broken down yet?
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet memory of Alyssa being your caregiver and all the little moments you had together.
Thanks, Amy! I'm thinking that it is scar tissue and maybe, just maybe the swelling has gone down since my last blister; I have two bandaids on the area now so that's skewing what it looks like. That is interesting about the two calf muscles not being equal sized. I can see that and now that I think about it, I think maybe pre surgery I had noticed that my calves didn't look symmetrical. So maybe natural variations are impacting how they look compared to each other? And, there has been definite improvement since when the muscle on the right almost completely atrophied due to non use for three months. I don't feel like anyone would notice, now, at any rate though the difference was quite noticeable when the boot first came off.
DeleteAhh! So that means I have been reading you blog for almost a year. I started reading while you had the boot on your foot.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you had a really rough time of it. What a star Alyssa was and I recognised that card before I even saw it was from Joanne, so kind!
That time frame is interesting- it's funny when we "meet" someone online or IRL after or during a major event. It's like, did you know me pre this event or post this event? I'm definitely different now- my body is worse off but my gratitude and empathy have hopefully improved!
DeleteI can relate...my surgery was two months after yours. Different injury, but it does still hurt at times. Did you do PT? Maybe that would help some of the remaining issues?
ReplyDeleteI remember reading about your break, surgery and recovery all while traveling. That must have been so challenging! I did do PT and did as much as my insurance would allow.
DeleteI guess my insurance company decided that I was healed before my body did, lol.
DeleteI think you have made an amazing recovery- the fact that you are running again is such a blessing- thanks for sharing- I can't imagine how scary this was but you are rocking it!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Holly! I am so grateful to be running again. Slow for sure and as I like to quip, slow and steady does NOT win the race(!) but movement is what is important at this point.
DeleteI'm glad you're in a better place and I understand the tenderness of the photo with your daughter on the couch. My son-in-law (the one living in my house until they close on theirs) is an orthopedic surgeon....I'm going to ask him about some of what you've mentioned in terms of healing and see what he says. I'll let you know.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Joyce! I appreciate it. I am resigned to the results if they are permanent but would love for that to not be the case :).
DeleteHi, thank you for sharing your journey with us. Injuries are no fun. I currently am doing PT for some neck issues, I do hope it helps.
ReplyDeleteCarla
Oh goodness, neck issues doesn't sound good. I hope that PT helps a bunch!
DeleteThat is so interesting about how your muscles on the affected leg have not caught up yet, and unfortunate about the continuing pain/discomfort when you stand. Hopefully, things will improve! I'm so impressed that you are able to run again.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Tanya! I think it sounds kinda funny that I run given the state of my poor legs!!
DeleteI had my right leg in a cast when I was in 4th grade and I remember how skinny and weird and atrophied it looked for quite some time. You really have come a long way in a year! I hope the heel growth lessons; hopefully it's just scar tissue that will gradually go away. You are so welcome for that card! I wasn't expecting the blog shout out. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteOf course, Joanne- I didn't want to rehash everything that people did for me last year but your card was on my mind and I was linking to the fun link party you provide, so I wanted to mention it :). Yes, I hope everything back there returns to normal at some point!! That stinks that you were in a cast as a child. That must have been tough!
DeleteI'm so glad you're mending, even if it isn't as quickly or as much as you'd like. I'll never forget this happening to you and having to back out of our trip. I love that Alyssa sat with you so much! It's interesting being a parent in need of nurturing/caretaking from our kids, you know? This happened to me last summer when I was having panic attacks pretty often over my life circumstances. My sons all had to parent me then!
ReplyDeleteHard to believe it has been a year...and all that has happened in just twelve months! It is super encouraging to look back and see how far you have come...and all the blessings that resulted from that "one fateful day."!
ReplyDelete