The Friday Five point five- Currently edition

Linking up with Jenn for Currently

Loving, Beginning, Ending, Picking, Posting

Loving- the weather

While we're definitely in need of rain (may come tomorrow!), the temperature every day for the past ten days or so has been so nice and it's looking like that will continue for the next week. It did get into the 80's today (that's the highest it's been in a while) but we shouldn't be in the 80's again until... dare I dream- next summer? 

Getting updates from Abby about Tennessee. She is busy but she likes to be busy so it's all good. She did get to take advantage of the long weekend and she and some friends hiked at Smokey Mountain National Park. Being (relatively) near such awe inspiring beauty was one thing that drew her to TN.



Getting produce from the garden and then using the produce to make good things

(And having a little photo shoot with the produce. Is it even a hobby if you can't show the world/brag about it?)

I added carrots to the tomatoes (both from the garden) and onions (not from the garden) that were sauteeing on the stove for a tri- veggie marinara sauce

I didn't pulse the carrots enough and there are definitely small carrot pieces visible in the end result. I've dubbed this carro-maro (short for carrot marina)

A true (my) garden salad- the lettuce, carrots (the small pieces here that look like shredded cheddar cheese) and tomato are all from the garden. 

Of course I added cheese and dressing to the salad- paired with a homemade calzone- this was probably my favorite meal this week.

Beginning- to decorate for fall. It seems a little early? But I do like to enjoy the decor since I'm doing the work of getting everything out. I plan to do less Halloween decorating and more pumpkin/fall. That's a bit of a deviation from prior years but I'm ready for some changes. I'll probably still do orange lights outside and place the blow up Great Pumpkin in the window- a few years ago when I didn't have the lights up by October, some of the neighbor kids asked me if I planned on putting them up and told me how much they liked seeing the lights (they're all teens now and likely don't care but maybe they do like to see the Halloween light continuity from year to year? I'll put the lights up and say it's for them 😉)


Beginning to get late summer produce from the garden- I planted sweet potato slips in the garden for the first time and how fun was it to "play" in the dirt by digging in it and finding some sweet potatoes! Sweet potatoes take around 100 days for maturity which is why I began to dig for them in September. 

My first sweet potato sighting! So exciting!!


For certain the above picture represents the apex of my excitement. Once I unearthed the sweet potatoes, I realized that I didn't have the bumper crop I was hoping for.

This looks vaguely like a mess a dog left but these are actually sweet potatoes. (That "the pile" is in the grass likely doesn't help 😏) (Carrots are on the right hand side of the picture)

Picking- I picked a few carrots- I have probably thirty more carrot plants, but the ground was so dry that each carrot I dug up took about five minutes. I'll wait until we get some rain and the ground is softer to get more.

Ending- the garden season is winding down. Oh, there will still be produce until the first freeze which is usually in mid-October but most of the plants are definitely past their summer prime. In these plants, you can see plenty of brown and yellow leaves



I am also enjoying the cessation of not being able to make certain meals for dinner because a certain someone who is pretty fussy is not eating dinners at the house anymore :). From a pot roast to shredded chicken taco meat, I have loved making easy meals this week that everyone who currently lives at home likes. Last week it was chili as well as pizza from a place that la petite fussy one doesn't care for and this week, the aforementioned roast and chicken. I miss her like crazy but making easy, tasty meals for non fussy eaters is really nice!

Posting- well, nothing to traditional social media sites like Facebook or IG. It is kind of odd- I joined FB for Marketplace. I guess FB decided to let everyone who has me in their contact list  know that I'm on FB? I got a request from a lady whom I used to know and see pretty often when we both attended the same church. She lives in a neighboring town and I've not seen her now in several years. She's exactly the sort of person I would envision following or friending if that's why I joined FB. But it's not. I have no desire to post or follow people or have them follow me.  So I'm going to ignore the request. Hopefully she sees that I'm not active on FB- like it's not a diss to her- I don't follow or like anybody on FB? 

I did rejoin Snapchat so I can snap the girls (and possibly the link up hostess with the mostess!) Snapchat is so goofy and fun. And I know that I feel like I lose a few IQ points every time I search for the right filter. Ay-yi-ay- I'm self aware enough to know I'm contributing to the dumification of civilization. But I'm also vain and I look cute with the glittery blue lips and eyeshadow filter...so...

Edited to add- I wrote most of this post on Tuesday so some of it is old news! We did end up getting rain on Wednesday (soooo needed) and the extended forecast has now changed and we do have days in the upcoming week projected to be in the 80's. Oh well, we'll get that fall weather soon I'm sure.

It's been a very low key week and I'm not complaining. I didn't leave the house two days in a row. It was great. I got a lot done and I love being at home so it definitely worked out. An appointment for an oil change on Thursday  disrupted my hermitting for the week. On one of the days that I was home, I almost had a sub job. I saw it on the site the evening before and was about to select it but someone beat me to it. Ah, well, I tried!








Comments

  1. Oh your recipes always look so delish and kudos to you for being able to grow beautiful veggies for your dishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly! Gardening is a fun hobby for me for sure :)

      Delete
  2. I loved catching up with you here! Your garden haul is amazing. I love that you enjoy this so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenn! As my kids have gotten older, it's been nice to be a plant mama and have something to care for- the produce is the goal but the process is enjoyable, too!

      Delete
  3. I'm impressed by your gardening skills! A true garden salad! I am thinking about making homemade calzones now that you and Jenn both brought them up. Maybe I can use the same stromboli dough recipe that was so easy at the beginning of the summer. Happy Friday to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! I was like, what more can I put in this garden salad? And then I was like, this is a garden salad from an actual garden of plants the production of veggies from which I played an integral role!!
      It's funny you mention stromboli- I looked up a recipe for calzones and the first one I clicked on mentioned the similarities between strombolis and calzones. That was from Spend with Pennies if you want to look it up. I ended up using the dough recipe that I use for homemade pizza as the crust/bread part of the calzone and then added the ingredients that we like for pizza (and that I had on hand) for the middle. I put cooked sausage, pepperoni, green peppers and cheese inside. It was like a very crusty pizza which I really liked because I like pizza crust!

      Delete
  4. I added zucchini to one of my batches of marinara and an eggplant to another but I made sure to blend them in REAL well so my family wouldn't know I was sneaking in extra vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that last year with zucchini, too, and I would have with eggplant if I'd had any. Yes, blending well is definitely the key... when I noticed the chunks (they're small but I would still categorize them as chunks) I should have put everything back in the blender and pulsed longer. Gotta be sneaky with those extra veggies and I'm afraid this batch was a fail at that, lol.

      Delete
  5. Wow, your garden veggies are so impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dara! It's fun to pick (and/or dig!) and then eat produce from the garden :).

      Delete
  6. I'm on board with everyone being impressed with your garden! I am so glad to hear things are going well for Abby and she is having fun exploring Tennessee. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn! I love that Abby is exploring Tennessee. While I selfishly hope she returns to Ohio, I hope that she loves her time in Tennessee and gets to see a lot of the state :). And I'd love for the two of us to go to Memphis sometime to see Graceland and my favorite Memphis people!

      Delete
  7. Well done my garden buddy!
    I am so happy to hear about Abby!!!
    Have a great weekend.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carla! I hope your weekend is a great one as well :).

      Delete
  8. I'm so impressed with the gardening! It sounds like Abby is settling in to her new home and having fun exploring the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya! I've highlighted the successes of the garden- there have been disappointments but I'm focusing on the positive :) I'm glad that Abby likes the area she's in- it's so much prettier than our area and I think she will continue to like it there!

      Delete
  9. I need to take a seat at your table

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to have a meal with you! Come on over...

      Delete
  10. Awwww, glad your girlie is getting all East Tennessee has to offer to her! We are heading to the game today - fingers crossed that the rain will pass us over. Funny that you WANT it and we have had so.much.rain this year. It's really crazy. Things grow here well into November (which I love). All that work you put into your garden - wow!! My inlaws (down the street) had a garden for a the first couple years they lived here then decided it was too much work. I've missed it but looking at all you've done does bring back memories of how labor-intensive gardens are - especially when the weather is extreme. Love your fall decorations - I cleaned out the spring/summer stuff yesterday but the thought of hauling out the change-of-season stuff exhausts me. I *did* do a closet clean-out last night, though, so feel good about that :)
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenni! I hope you don't get rained on and that the game is a good one for your team. The SEC games don't mean anything to me since that's not my conference but I know that they're the "big ones" in college football. Regarding rain, I think we had an above average amount this year prior to the first week of August or so then we returned to a more normal level of summer rain- not much at all... It's a pain to water and sad to see grass turn brown but that's definitely typical for this time of year. Wow-no frost until November- that is a great long gardening growing season. But yes, a decent bit of work and I can see how people don't do it year after year. Hope your game and weekend go well!!

      Delete
  11. We've had cooler weather here too, sometimes even chilly and I am liking it.
    It sounds like Abby is having a great time in Tennessee.
    Oh yes, those are the rules! If you grow something you have to show it off! Everything looks delicious! You have done so well with your garden.
    I love your Autumn decor, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! I've enjoyed seeing pictures of your garden :).

      Delete
  12. I loved reading this. It’s the perfect mix of cozy, productive, and playful. Your garden adventures made me smile, especially the excitement over sweet potatoes and “carro-maro.” There’s something so satisfying about digging in the dirt and seeing the results of your work, even if the harvest isn’t as massive as hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the success of your garden, and I love the early fall decor you shared. I'm always unsure when I should switch to fall decor - beginning of September feels too early, and yet I want it up long enough to really enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kym! Yes, I feel the exact same way about the decor and when to put it up- I don't want to be too early with it yet I want to enjoy it!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts