Weekending- football ´n food
Had a nice weekend- Christmas weekend will be eventful so I was happy to have a weekend with not a whole lot of activity.
Friday, I subbed. Had a good day at school and then headed home where I just missed Abby. She and her boyfriend had just left to do some Christmas shopping. Alyssa worked so when I arrived home from school, I was the only one home. I forget what I did when I came home- hopefully something productive :).
Abby and her boyfriend arrived home right before dinner. I had told Abby to feel free to invite her boyfriend to dinner which she did. I didn’t have a great dinner plan- pizza was going to be the default. Then, I remembered that earlier in the week, I found some ham in the freezer from Thanksgiving. I had randomly bought Hawaiian rolls so I decided to make ham and Swiss sliders and I was able to wing the rest. It was felt festive to have just one other person over for dinner... and Alyssa arrived home from work just as we were sitting down to eat.
Saturday, Abby wanted to do some Christmas shopping so she and I did that. We went to a Dick’s Sporting Goods outlet store that recently opened near us. I have not shopped in a regular Dick’s stores in years. I’m not crazy about the store- I don’t care for some of its policies and I think the prices are really high. But an outlet- will sacrifice some principles to save money! (Also, I regularly shop at some stores who have policies/ politics that I don’t like. It just isn’t feasible to shop only at places whose policies I don’t mind.)
We got so much stuff for really cheap: We got a Pategonia jacket/ coat for Abby, North Face boots for Abby, Little KSwiss kicks for Mary Gracia, Puma running shoes for Abby, Saucony running shoes for me, a hat, and pair of athletic type pants (with a bit more structure than leggings) for Abby for just over $200.
Picked up more sweets at the grocery store... tis the season. Come January it will be the season to ease the sugar consumption. But until then...
Got home in time to watch the Bengals win!!
Evan getting ready to kick a field goal to take the lead with three minutes left.- Will he make it? OK, I guess I already answered that!!
Bengals up!
Donnie and I also watched the Steelers/ Colts game that was on next. We have numerous friends who are Steelers fans but my two brothers are pretty big Colts fans so I had to hope for a Colts win.
Sunday, I woke up early, ran, and started making some cookies for later on that day. Then we went to church. After church, Donnie ran some errands with Abby while I stayed in. We were having our friends Doug and Laura over for dinner and to watch.... football! Yes, more football. This time it was the Cowboys game. Donnie is a Bengals fan but he also likes the Cowboys. His friend Doug is a lifelong Cowboys fan so they decided to watch the game together.
I didn’t make anything fancy or time consuming- hosting Christmas will be a not small undertaking as will hosting my family that will come into town after Christmas. Easy peasy lemon squeezy was the name of the game for pre- Christmasing mini hosting:).
The Cowboys lost but the guys didn’t seem to care much. (I think they’ve clinched a play off spot already.) We just sat around and talked almost the whole game anyway.
After our friends left, we watched a little bit of TV and then went to bed. Just one day of working for me for the rest of the year 😍










Yeah! Enjoy the upcoming festive days- your cookies look amazing as always!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Holly! I hope you enjoy the upcoming week as well!!
DeleteOh, that is a good deal on your shopping! I feel the same on the snacks. This is such a fun time to make snacks, but I need to change my snacks to be less sugar come January. I have 2 bags of Christmas M&M's to use this weekend to make cookies and Chex Mix.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Marilyn! I thought the deals we got were really good. Yeah, I need to get this sugar out of my system. It seems to be a snowball effect for me. The more I eat of it, the more I want it. I need to move in the opposite direction next month. Your treats sound good! Enjoy the week before Christmas!!
DeleteGimme all the cookies you festive cutie!
ReplyDeleteOh yes to the cookies!!
DeleteI have been buying extra sweets this month too (and Lindt-- pretty much any flavor/variety) are my favorites! Thanks for the quick dinner idea; I have lots of leftover ham in the freezer. It sounds like a wonderful and relaxing pre-Christmas weekend.
ReplyDeleteAlyssa and I were just talking about Lindt- we´ve decided it´s our favorite as well! I can´t wait to make ham slides again after Christmas- I hope your family enjoys them if you make some :).
Delete