Share Four Somethings

Linking up with Heather for Share Four Somethings for the month of February.


Something Loved: I loved celebrating Valentine's Day- from Valentiney touches in the house to celebrating in small ways with the family, I loved this holiday this year, especially. 

I saw these and knew they would be perfect for my little heart breaker, Bub. They are Wisecracks- End the Conversation Hearts.

They say thing like Nope, Dream On, 4 Never. They are pithy and unexpected. I loved these for Jacob. In Abby's package, I sent her sweeter thing.


A student brought in these microwave popcorn bags covered in a Valentine's Day sleeve and brought them in for staff. So thoughtful (and punny which is always a good thing... no matter how corny!!).


I shared this on the blog before, but I loved getting this from a former student of my long term sub job- named misspelled and all. 



I tried Poshmark for the first time and I liked/ loved it! I have never shied away from purchasing gently used clothing- I had just never used Poshmark before. Alyssa and I were looking at Lululemon online and a pair of pants caught my eye. They looked like a more comfortable alternative than wearing jeans and a more structured/ less skintight look than leggings when going for a very casual look. For example, they would be good paired with a sweatshirt or hoodie. But the price tag was way more than I was willing to pay. The pants were $118 and with tax, that would push the price close to $130. So I looked on ebay and when I didn't find anything there, I looked at Poshmark. I found a pair in my size (or what I thought was my size since I knew that LL runs small) and a price tag that was more than I would want to pay for used pants but way less than $130 and considerably less than other pants of the same style were priced at. I bought the pants and like them. Not $130 like them so I am glad that I paid way less than half of that for the pants (I didn't have to pay shipping since it was my first order. Ordinarily shipping charges apply. Without paying shipping, my total was well under $50 for the pants). 


Here is a picture of them from the LL site. The listing on the Poshmark site was done much less with marketing panache (I mean, the Poshmark listing was fine but obviously not one done by a professional!). They can be cinched at the bottom and look like a jogger...


...or not and look more like regular pants. I wanted them more for the regular pant look which is good because the pants that I bought don't cinch well at the bottom such that wearing them like joggers is not really an option (since mine are used I don't know if that's due to their used quality or if that's how they tend to be brand new). 





Something gleaned- this is something more along the lines of something re- realized, but... I realized that when I care for a plant, I will see the results. One of my house plants is almost two years old and I am not sure how it stayed alive. In February, I made the decision to care for the plant better. And within a couple of weeks, it looked much better than it ever had. I know that caring for a plant will make it thrive but it has been a long time since I have seen the fruits(/buds) of my labor (though it's kinda hard to call watering labor!) so quickly with an indoor plant.

With regard to reading, I try to read mostly literary type books- classics or current authors who write more with the intent to get the reader to think rather than to just entertain/ escape. I am certainly not above reading a thriller/ suspense/ whodunit- whatever you want to call it- and in fact, do read and enjoy many of these kinds of books. I recently read two Harlan Coben books. They were very easy, interesting reads but not exactly literary.  I really liked one of the characters (who was in both books) who had a knack for wry and intelligent observations. I took a picture of a couple of lines from one of his books. These observations are from the main character in one of the books, Win, who is ridiculously rich. He has the money and means to do anything or buy anything in the world. This is what he says though, "Too much is made of 'live every moment to its fullest.' It is an unrealistic goal, one that leads to more stress than satisfaction. The secret to fulfillment is not about exciting adventures or living out loud- no one can maintain that kind of pace- but in welcoming and even relishing the quiet and familiar." As an introvert and homebody, I agree with this and loved that I came across it in an action packed book where one wouldn't expect to find it ;).

Something Braved- Playing in the foam pit at SkyZone with the middle school youth group. It is NOT easy to maneuver around (to try to get out of) a foam pit. Consciously choosing to not focus on the germs but rather focusing on having fun with the kids seemed a little brave, too (though taking off  my shoes and pants as soon as I walked in the garage door (our laundry room is the room we walk into from the garage) and placing the germy items in the washing machine seemed like the prudent thing to do).

You had better believe that five seconds after this picture was taken, my body was close and personal with the gray and blue foam thingies as somebody knocked me unceremoniously off my perch!

 Also, the pants I am wearing here are my Lulus that I got from Poshmark.

Something Achieved- Not really my achievement but I played a role in it... Alyssa got her drivers's license in February. Thinking about getting all three kids through the rigmarole that is getting a license- from passing the written test to get the driver's permit, to doing in car driving with an instructor, to driving the fifty hours permit holders have to to drive while having the permit, to the nerve racking event of actually taking the driving test- lots of steps. I know that getting a driver's license is very common as well as is helping a child go through these steps; nonetheless, there is still a sense of accomplishment. Part of the accomplishment/ achievement is the knowledge that the newly licensed driver has a skill that is (for most people) essential for independence. I also can't think of too many things more simultaneously brave, terrifying, pride inducing, (among other emotions) than riding in the car the first few times a permit holder is behind the wheel ;). I'm overall just very thankful for the achievement of all three kids being licensed drivers.

Alyssa and her BF on President's Day- our school had the day off and the weather was unseasonably warm here- sunny and 58 degrees so Alyssa drove *her* car (the car that we're letting her drive) with the top down to run into town to get something to eat. 

Comments

  1. Things are different in my state for the driver's license. My son had to take the Driver's Ed course first, then do the driver with the instructor, then take his permit test, which he did and passed on Monday. Now he has to drive 60 supervised hours with me before he can get his license...I would take your 50, LOL! I think the brave thing was letting your daughter drive!! Congrats on 3 licensed drivers :) Once my son gets his license we will be done with that as well (praise God!) I also think it was brave of you to go to Sky Zone and participate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is different! I think states are also different regarding the ages of when the various stages in the process can happen. Mixed emotions about all three being able to drive but as of now, I am mostly happy about it ;). I hope all goes well for your son and the hoops he needs to jump through to get his license!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post - enjoyed all the information! Congratulations on having another driver in the family! Woo hoo! I have not tried Poshmark but have had (mostly) success with Mercari. And you're brave moment was "super brave" in my book....probably a bridge too far for me - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. I have not heard of Mercari- I will check it out. My daughter and I were out yesterday and I went over getting gas in the car with her once again (we didn't do that enough when she had her permit). As she watched the dollar amount climb, she remarked how expensive it was to drive. Ah, the things the young must learn! (That we oldies have known for a long time!!) It is great to have her
      driving.

      Delete
  4. I loved all of this! I've never tried Poshmark either, but I have the app installed on my phone. One of my good friends uses it all the time! I think having another driver is a huge accomplishment to achieve! I was so glad to be done teaching kids how to drive. So glad! It's not for the faint of heart, that feat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teaching driving is not for the faint of heart! If you order something for Poshmark, your first order ships free. I believe after that, you have to pay. So keep in mind if you want to try it, order a few things ;).

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you had success with Poshmark. I'm a fan of thrift shopping but haven't tried that resource yet. Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, I thought Poshmark had only very high end designer brands but that is not the case. Not sure if you know this, but Goodwill has online thrift shopping- I have ordered from them online which was kind of weird- it seems like you should have to shop at one of their stores to shop there!

      Delete
  6. Maria, hi! I can think of a few people that would totally apppreciate those 'wisecracks!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda! Thanks, I thought they were such a clever take on the traditional conversation hearts.

      Delete
  7. I am a big Poshmark fan- I have bought and sold various things and you can really get great deals! Kudos to you for doing that foam bit- love it Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently got two plants and I am doing my best to care for them well. I don't have a good track record so it is taking being intentional! Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts