Christmas Celebrations

We will likely have one more celebration with my brother and his family but we don't know yet when that will be (though it will be sometime this week). I will recap our big celebrations of Christmas Eve and Christmas.

We had a good solid fifteen years of a Christmas Eve tradition and then that tradition ended. For the past five or six years our tradition has been that we have no tradition! We have spent Christmas Eve in various ways the past five or six years. This year was a bit unusual  in that we didn't get together with any family members. It was just the five of us. We attended our chruch's Christmas Eve service in the afternoon (there were four of the same services at different times throughout the day). It was the first Christmas Eve service at our new church (we began attending the church this summer). We enjoyed the service quite a bit- it was candle lit, the message was good and Jacob got to meet our pastor for the first time. From there we went out to dinner even though it was slightly early for dinner. That actually worked out better because it meant our wait time was minimal. In addition, it worked out because we were all really hungry.  I had been in the kitchen most of the day getting things prepped for the big Christmas meal so everyone just sort of grazed for breakfast and lunch. No one had had an actual meal. So, it worked out well to eat early.

Traditional Christmas Eve pictures- I never tell the family when we are leaving for church- I tell them when they need to be ready for pictures. They are used to this :).







I can say for certainty that it was the first Christmas Eve that I've had a Bloomin' Onion (we ate at Outback) but it may not be the last time. The boys got wings as an appetizer and really liked them while Alyssa and I swooned over our onion. Outback is not a fancy place but we like it quite a bit...

At Outback, I always order the smallest steak, mashed potatoes and seasoned rice. I love that combo! 

Christmas dawned gloomy and rainy. Well, it was forecasted so at least it wasn't surprising :). I woke up super early and was able to go on a short run in the light rain before doing more prep and clean up for the meal. Donnie completed our gift wrapping for the kids' gifts shortly before we woke them up. With family members coming over in the early afternoon, it was impossible to allow the kids to tarry in bed (we always open our immediate family gifts before extended family comes over). 

We opened presents as a family- the kids liked everything they received (90% of what they received were items on their lists which definitely helped to ensure that they liked what they received!!). After we opened presents it was time to get ready for our early afternoon Christmas meal with extended family. Everyone who came brought items to share so that helped out a lot. We had a good feast with a nice spread of food. Enjoyed eating and visiting together and then it was round two of gift giving/ opening. The kids were spoiled by extended family members and a good time was had by all. Christmas 2021 was a success... We did miss a couple of family members who usually celebrate with us. They couldn't come due to health concerns- we missed them. Missing family members, family members who are no longer alive to celebrate with, sickness and the fear of it- sadness here on earth is very real and prevalent and the holidays make loss more poignant. It also makes the gift of Jesus even more special. To know that we will be with family members one day who are no longer with us and to know that sickness/ despair will not be a  part of heaven makes the promises of Jesus even more awe inspiring. 

Definitely not a white Christmas this year but in the pre- dawn not quite light, it doesn't matter what- the inside of the house looked cozy :).

On Chirstmas Eve, I made sure the dining room table...


... and kitchen table were set for Christmas day.


The lil' family room tree (which we all decided we liked so it may become our permanent tree) with its gifts underneath


Jacob and his pile o' presents from us. 



I kept Jacob's 21st balloon arch from earlier in the week up and used the table (still on loan from the summer from Uncle Doug...) as a dessert table for Christmas day. It worked out well... I meant to get pictures of our real food spread but didn't get around to take any pictures of the food. I thought that everything looked and tasted good.


Alyssa and Donnie with presents from family- Donnie decided to wear his pineapple/ Hawaiian shirt in honor of the warm weather (and because he knew he'd be super hot in the house- he also wore shorts).




Abby and her presents from grandparents and aunts and uncles



Uncle Bill bought all of the guys UD hats


The guys and Uncle Bill

Speaking of Uncle Bill, I have to report, unfortunately, that he ate more than I did in our annual dessert eating competition. My kitchen scale recently broke so we couldn't weigh our plates. But I think his did slightly outweigh mine and I couldn't finish my whole plate so he definitely beat me. There's always next year to strive for!! #iwillnotgiveup














Comments

  1. I have so many things to say about this wonderful post! First, I love all the pictures. If I had cooperative sons, I'd do so much more of that. They have such strong opinions about this, though. Ha! Secondly, I noticed immediately that your Christmas was also unseasonably warm. Bleh! That makes it not feel like Christmas and I'm not a fan of that. I live in Tennessee, where we're supposed to have seasons, but it's not happening much this year. I need winter weather ASAP.

    I also love your piles of presents, your Christmas dinnerware, your family room tree and that you hosted the family this year. I've only hosted once, but because of our dogs, it's not super convenient. I figure once our sons start families will be a good time to move it to our home and we'll figure out what to do with the dogs. I loved this post so much! I loved getting more of a picture of your family life and home as well. I'm so glad we're friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Christmas Eve pics- you all look wonderful and so nice to see your celebrations with your fam! I'm sure it brought you so much joy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts