Gaylord Opryland Hotel
Have you ever wished to stay at a hotel with waterfalls in it? Have you wished to stay in hotel where you can take a boat ride inside the hotel? Have you wished to stay in a hotel that’s so big that there’s an app that gives you step by step navigation guidance? Have you wished to stay in a unique hotel that is bereft of gambling? If you answered, “Yes!” to any of these questions then a stay at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel in Nashville, TN is the place for you!! (Alternatively, you may have to go to the Opryland for an event (such was the case for us) in which case you will get to see waterfalls, et all not necessarily by choice but because that is where your event is 😊). The hotel and convention center are HUGE! The hotel has over 2000 rooms and the convention center spans three floors. In addition to that, there is a separate building called the Gaylord Opryland Event Center that is on the grounds of the hotel. That is where most of the dance competition (the reason we were there) took place. There is also a water park called Soundwaves on the grounds. I think it is indoors and outdoors? Visiting the water park incurs an additional fee; we didn’t pay for it nor did we ever go near it so I don’t know much about it. (There are outdoor pools and an indoor pool that all guests of the hotel can use for free.)
When we checked in to the hotel, we were given this map which I found simultaneously helpful and terrifying!! All right, “terrifying” may be hyperbole but from the map you can see that the hotel is very... big and gave me- I’m not going to say anxiety- but rather the knowledge that I was going to get lost a lot. In 2019, the first year we were here, I did get lost a lot. I resigned myself to asking employees questions constantly. “Could you please tell me where X is?” was something I got used to asking. This year, I remembered quite a bit from the last time we were here and I didn't feel nearly as lost.
The convention center spanned three levels
The waterfalls!
The Gaylord has beautiful water features in each of its three sections: Delta, Magnolia and Cascades. The following three pictures are from the same water feature that is in Cascades (I think).
But those weren’t the only waterfalls…
A river runs through it- well, around it, more like but the preposition is less important than the fact that you can take a boat ride in it! It is located in the Delta section. The boat moves real slow so it’s not a thrilling ride but still, it’s a boat ride in a hotel! Alas, we didn’t ride in it. We were going to on our last day but the line was super long and we decided not to. One reason I really wanted to go on it was because there is a guide on the boat and I wanted to hear facts about the hotel (I assume the guide would talk about hotel info/ facts- maybe not).
Not sure why I had so much parking lot in that picture but that is actually a good segue to what I wanted to talk about next which is the Opry Mills Mall. If you are driving in the parking lot away from the event center, you will eventually drive into the parking lot of the mall (the hotel and the mall are not on the same grounds but it’s almost like they share a parking lot at one point- you don’t have to go on a city street to get from the hotel to the mall). Being so close to the mall was nice for a couple of reasons. First, we parked in the mall parking lot which saved us from paying $32 a night in parking if we were in a Gaylord lot. Of course we had a longer walk to the hotel but it was worth it to save the money. Second, we liked going to the mall to take advantage of its large food court. At the Opryland hotel, the quick service options were by and large unhealthy- think pizza and burgers. The Opryland had some sit down restaurants but a few of them were steakhouses; we weren’t there for nor did we have a lot of time/ inclination for a fancy meal. By going to the food court at the mall to eat, we were able to find casual healthy options. And, we spent some time shopping, too, at the mall. The Gaylord being so close to the Opry Mills mall was a win win for us 😁.
At the Gaylord- I didn’t hate eating this pizza for lunch one day. On the day I had this, Abby had a pre made turkey sandwich from one of the market shoppes in the hotel. It was ok, if an expensive ($11), healthier eating option.
At the Opry Mills Mall, we found a place called the Green Leaf that had customizable wraps and salads. We ate here several times.
We did ALL THE WALKING when we stayed at the Gaylord. Between going to our room to the convention center (for solos) to the event center (for most of the competition) to the mall (for better dining options) and just to walk around the hotel (for seeing waterfalls and such), we walked a lot. One day I walked over 33,000 steps and almost seventeen miles. Now five of the miles and many of those steps were purposeful/ self- imposed on my part as I ran five miles on a treadmill in the gym. But the rest were from the walking that was necessitated to get from point A to point B when there was generally lots of space between points A and B.
A few miscellaneous pictures:






































Looks so beautiful there and what a lovely Mother Daughter trip!
ReplyDelete