Ohio State Soccer Camp
Last fall, one of Alyssa's soccer teammates, Ainsley, asked Alyssa if she'd like to attend Ohio State's soccer camp in late July with her. Alyssa said she wanted to do it even though it entailed spending the night away from home for three nights. It would be the first time that Alyssa had spent the night away from home for that length of time. Alyssa was on board as were we; Ohio State is my least favorite college. However, just because I find the hype surrounding the football program, the fans, and the pretension (The Ohio State, really?) annoying, does not mean that OSU would not provide an enriching environment wherein Alyssa could improve her soccer skills and have fun. At least that's what I told myself :).
Jacob went with me to Columbus to drop Alyssa off at OSU last Tuesday. He wanted to check out the campus. The dorm where the kids attending the soccer camp was near the athletic buildings so that appealed to Jacob (he likes OSU). We met Ainsley and her mom Sarah in the registration line and after that we found their dorm room. The girls were really excited about their room and the prospect of being on their own for a few days (with a lot of soccer thrown in the mix :)).
Here are some pictures from the day that we dropped Alyssa off at OSU:
Here is the dorm that she stayed in: the Scott House
Inside the girls' dorm room: the girls thought these beds that were elevated were so cool. I reminded Alyssa that she moves around a lot in her sleep and if she took a tumble off the high bed, it would hurt if she fell to the floor. Ainsley's mom and I reconfigured the beds to lower the mattresses.
After seeing their rooms, we went back out to our cars to get the items they needed for the next three days. The girls found these chairs to sit in and pose for pictures.
Campers ;)
Back in their room: this was the view out of their window (when the shade was pulled up)
I was so sad (selfishly) to leave Alyssa here for three days but I was happy for her that she was excited about the camp.
The girls got these shirts on the first day and we had the girls pose together in them
I wore my "Born and Bred Hoosier" shirt. I've lived in Ohio almost as long as I lived in Indiana. I will always be a Hoosier (at least an IU one)...
On our way home, my phone's GPS took us to this building. I guess it's where OSU plays basketball. The building was pretty (so I snapped a photo) but I thought it was odd that my GPS was taking me to what appeared to be the parking lot for this building. It turns out it took me right to the highway that I needed to take to go home.
Jacob asked to stop at a Cane's in Grove City, just outside of Columbus. I wasn't super hungry so I ordered a kid's meal. I loved that the kid's cup featured soccer.
A few days later... I went to pick Alyssa up and was able to watch some of the final games/ scrimmages that the girls played in. The games were inside the Woody Hayes athletic center. Alyssa said they spent some time in this building during the camp and were there the same time that the OSU football players were there.
Bad pictures but here's Alyssa in a scrimmage
It would have been neat to be in here if I liked OSU :)
Alyssa loved the camp. Everything seemed to go really smoothly for Ainsley and her. It was a great experience for her.
Jacob went with me to Columbus to drop Alyssa off at OSU last Tuesday. He wanted to check out the campus. The dorm where the kids attending the soccer camp was near the athletic buildings so that appealed to Jacob (he likes OSU). We met Ainsley and her mom Sarah in the registration line and after that we found their dorm room. The girls were really excited about their room and the prospect of being on their own for a few days (with a lot of soccer thrown in the mix :)).
Here are some pictures from the day that we dropped Alyssa off at OSU:
Here is the dorm that she stayed in: the Scott House
After seeing their rooms, we went back out to our cars to get the items they needed for the next three days. The girls found these chairs to sit in and pose for pictures.
Campers ;)
Back in their room: this was the view out of their window (when the shade was pulled up)
I was so sad (selfishly) to leave Alyssa here for three days but I was happy for her that she was excited about the camp.
The girls got these shirts on the first day and we had the girls pose together in them
I wore my "Born and Bred Hoosier" shirt. I've lived in Ohio almost as long as I lived in Indiana. I will always be a Hoosier (at least an IU one)...
Jacob asked to stop at a Cane's in Grove City, just outside of Columbus. I wasn't super hungry so I ordered a kid's meal. I loved that the kid's cup featured soccer.
A few days later... I went to pick Alyssa up and was able to watch some of the final games/ scrimmages that the girls played in. The games were inside the Woody Hayes athletic center. Alyssa said they spent some time in this building during the camp and were there the same time that the OSU football players were there.
Bad pictures but here's Alyssa in a scrimmage
It would have been neat to be in here if I liked OSU :)
Alyssa loved the camp. Everything seemed to go really smoothly for Ainsley and her. It was a great experience for her.

Comments
Post a Comment